gliding for the disabled

Old January 27th 12, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

Default gliding for the disabled

Hi I am trying to compile a list of charities that are involved in
promoting gliding for the disabled, so far I have found the following:-
UK - WALKING ON AIR, THE CAROLINE TRUST, AEROBILITY
USA - FREEDOMWINGS
CANADA - FREEDOMWINGS CANADA
SOUTH AFRICA - THE DISABLED AVIATION ASSOCIATION OF SOUTH AFRICA

I would be really grateful to hear about any other charities/organisations
involved in prompiting disabled gliding -I am geussing there must be lots
more in Europe I don't know about?
Many thanks

Old January 27th 12, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

On Jan 27, 7:47*am, Paul T wrote:
Hi I am trying to compile a list of charities that are involved in
promoting gliding for the disabled, so far I have found the following:-
UK - WALKING ON AIR, THE CAROLINE TRUST, AEROBILITY
USA - FREEDOMWINGS
CANADA - FREEDOMWINGS CANADA
SOUTH AFRICA - THE DISABLED AVIATION ASSOCIATION OF SOUTH AFRICA

I would be really grateful to hear about any other charities/organisations
involved in prompiting disabled gliding -I am geussing there must be lots
more in Europe I don't know about?
Many thanks

Please forgive the pedantry, but two of the names are slightly in
error:
Canada: Freedom's Wings Canada http://www.freedomswings.ca
USA: Freedom's Wings International http://www.freedomswings.org/

Sorry, I can't add others to your list, at the moment. Maybe CP will
chime in?

- John (Freedom's Wings Canada - Toronto @ York Soaring Association)
Old January 28th 12, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

On Jan 27, 11:19*am, "C-FFKQ (42)" wrote:
On Jan 27, 7:47*am, Paul T wrote:

[...]

I suggest you canvass the manufacturers that offer hand controls
(rudder stick and spoiler lock) on their list of options, for
organizations/customers that ordered adapted gliders. These include:
Schempp-Hirth (Duo Discus and Discus 2c)
Schleicher (ASK-21)
Allstar PZL (SZD-54-2 PERKOZ - pending?)

I would be interested to learn of other manufacturers offering the
controls.

BTW, Freedom's Wings Canada has trained one para pilot to an
Instructor endorsement at the York Chapter (Toronto).
Old January 28th 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ray conlon

On Jan 27, 7:47*am, Paul T wrote:

[...]

This guy has an STC for a IS 28b2 Lark for a hand control set up for
the front seat.
,
Old January 28th 12, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

In California, there is the Southern California Soaring Academy which
is just a few hours NE of LA.

http://www.soaringacademy.org/

I'm not sure if they are a charity, but I know they just added two
brand new ASK-21s with hand controls to their fleet and do a lot of
fantastic work with the Wounded Warriors group.

Morgan