ATC subtle hints

Old October 14th 06, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Default ATC subtle hints

I really get a kick out of how subtle ATC can be sometimes in giving those
little "hints" to some pilots. I've heard lots of interesting ones over time
that have given me a chuckle while flying along. It got me to thinking about
what some of the more funny ones you guys have heard over the years.

Today, right after being cleared for takeoff, and while rolling onto on Rwy 36
at SAV I got a traffic advisory from tower about a 757 on a 3 mile final to Rwy 9.
(for me, that's the lowest altitude I have ever been when receiveing a
traffic advisory!). I responded with "38H is looking" and made an expeditious
take-off and got a good glance at the big airplane on the way in maybe a mile
out as I crossed the intersection.

Wish I could recall a few of the more funny ones, but telling stories is really
not my forte, sorta like you have to be there.

Old October 14th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FLAV8R[_1_]

That traffic advisory more than likely was to motivate you to expedite your
takeoff.
I have had the tower ask me to cycle my transponder as another way of saying
"Turn it on you dip".

David - KGYH

Old October 15th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

kontiki wrote:
snip
out as I crossed the intersection.

Wish I could recall a few of the more funny ones, but telling stories is
really
not my forte, sorta like you have to be there.

My favorite subtle hint is, "N#, say altitude." Not that it happens to
me much, you understand, but I hear it a lot while acting as safety
pilot. g
Old October 15th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Adams[_1_]

Emily wrote:

My favorite subtle hint is, "N#, say altitude."

Or have them tell you the altimeter setting, as if that's the reason for
the altitude discrepancy. (Yea, that must be the reason)
Old October 15th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"FLAV8R" wrote:

That traffic advisory more than likely was to motivate you to expedite your
takeoff.
I have had the tower ask me to cycle my transponder as another way of saying
"Turn it on you dip".

I heard a tower controller say:
What he said: "I'm not receiving your mode C"
What he meant: "Change that (old) discrete code to 1200"

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old October 15th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Mike Adams wrote:
Emily wrote:

My favorite subtle hint is, "N#, say altitude."

Or have them tell you the altimeter setting, as if that's the reason for
the altitude discrepancy. (Yea, that must be the reason)

One night Champaign Approach just wouldn't get off my back. He started
by giving me the altimeter, which I had just received when Indy Center
had handed me off. I shook my head, looked at the altimeter, yes, it's
correct. Five minutes later, "N#, recycle your mode C." Huh? By
this time my altitude, which admittedly had been 50 feet off, was dead
on and my friend and I were both pretty confused. Approach then called
another two aircraft, gave them the altimeter setting, and asked them to
recycle. Another huh. Five minutes later he called me back and asked
altitude...I replied 6000. He replies back, "Oh, ok. Because I have
you at 900 and two other aircraft at 650, so I was just wondering what
was going on."
Old October 15th 06, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

Actually, my favorite not so subtle hint is hearing tower tell an
aircraft on short final to check gear down. It's even better when you
can hear the gear horn going off in the background and when the plane
calls back five second later to say he's going around.
Old October 15th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 22:26:12 GMT, kontiki
wrote:

I really get a kick out of how subtle ATC can be sometimes in giving those
little "hints" to some pilots.

"Airline 34F, how many transponders in your aircraft?"
"It's on now! - Airline 34F"

That's a good question - how many pilots admit to the controller that
they were just caught being stupid? I was caught once tracking the
wrong VOR and he called me on it. No way to bluff your way out of that one.
Old October 15th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Bob Noel said:
I heard a tower controller say:
What he said: "I'm not receiving your mode C"
What he meant: "Change that (old) discrete code to 1200"

I thought what he meant was "Why the hell aren't you anywhere near your
assigned altitude?"

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"You are installing Internet Explorer 4.0. Windows NT needs to overwrite
Old October 15th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily

B A R R Y wrote:
On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 19:22:44 -0500, Emily
wrote:

That's a good question - how many pilots admit to the controller that
they were just caught being stupid? I was caught once tracking the
wrong VOR and he called me on it. No way to bluff your way out of that one.

With as many controllers that are pilots, a little humility can go a
long way.

Oh, there was humility involved. Actually, right before he called and
asked my heading, I realized, well, look at that, I'm one VOR ahead. So
I said, "Uh, heading will be 320, I just realized I'm tracking the wrong
VOR." His response? "Umm....yeah." I felt about two inches tall.