Uh-oh: CBS News to air anti-GA hit piece on Wed. 1/14

Old January 14th 04, 02:36 AM
Maule Driver

I saw it too. I'm hoping that it is a more level headed report than the
teasing trailer suggests. Oh, maybe I'll just not watch.

"David H" wrote in message
I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
"investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.

It showed a home on a residential airpark, and a woman in a hangar
saying "we can just come and go anytime we want, with no restrictions!"
Footage shows a Cessna approaching and landing. Announcer voice-over:
"You heard that right, NO RESTRICTIONS. Wait until you see what we
found. You'll be shocked. Tune in tomorrow for a CBS Evening News
Investigation."

Disgusting. This looks like it's going to be awful.

I just heard it again as I was typing this: "The trouble with security
at small airports, tomorrow." Looks like they're going to hype it a
lot. Ugh, where's my barf bag....

David H
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Old January 14th 04, 02:41 AM
Paul Folbrecht

I'll write them. Everybody needs to write them. Can the media in this
country possibly get any more pathetic?

Old January 14th 04, 03:01 AM
Harry Gordon

I stopped watching CBS News about 6 months ago because of their hyped-up
newscasts. They try to make "a cat crossing the street" report sound like
"if the cat makes it, the world will come to an end." :-(

Harry

Old January 14th 04, 03:37 AM
David H

AOPA is closed for the day. Someone needs to call them at 8 am eastern time
(or whenever their office opens) Tuesday morning.

I'm on the west coast, otherwise I'd do it myself (I'm not getting up at 5 am
to do it). One of you early-risers on the east coast will have to do it
(actually, several people ought to do it, to make sure they don't drop the
ball). Boyer should be on the horn screaming at CBS by 8:10.

If the "teaser" reflects the tone of the piece they're going to air on
Wednesday, it looks like it'll be one of the most awful pieces of anti-GA
hysteria we've seen.

David H
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

BTIZ wrote:

someone send this to AOPA??

BT

Old January 14th 04, 03:54 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Yeah, they're generally among the worst of a bad crowd.

Old January 14th 04, 04:27 AM
Judah

There's gotta be a way to foil their plans and make their fear-spreading
tactics reduce their revenues. How can we get our hands on the Nielson
list?

Old January 14th 04, 04:47 AM
Peter Gottlieb

Some people will be outraged, but for the most part those people have little
influence. For many people, either they will forget the report quickly
(after all, it is not news but entertainment), or they will think less of
CBS for airing it.

Let's hope that policymakers still have some sembelence of intelligence.

CBS should be ashamed at themselves for the damage to this country they
could cause by these sensationalist pieces. If you were to follow this line
of thought, first private airplanes would be banned, then private boats,
then all facilities would be fortified with large exclusion zones, and we
would be a complete police state where the suspects, er, citizens have no
rights and no constitution.

Old January 14th 04, 04:48 AM
Nathan Young

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:42:27 -0800, David H wrote:

I just saw a "teaser" piece during the CBS Evening News promoting their
"investigation" on security at GA airports, to air tomorrow (Wed.
1/14). It looks like it's going to be just awful.

It showed a home on a residential airpark, and a woman in a hangar
saying "we can just come and go anytime we want, with no restrictions!"
Footage shows a Cessna approaching and landing. Announcer voice-over:
"You heard that right, NO RESTRICTIONS. Wait until you see what we
found. You'll be shocked. Tune in tomorrow for a CBS Evening News
Investigation."

Disgusting. This looks like it's going to be awful.

I just heard it again as I was typing this: "The trouble with security
at small airports, tomorrow." Looks like they're going to hype it a
lot. Ugh, where's my barf bag....

Just what GA needs. I emailed CBS Evening news, and encouraged them
to contact AOPA to confirm facts or for an alternate point of view.

I also emailed AOPA and gave them a link to the news piece
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/1998/...ain15214.shtml

Hopefully Phil Boyer will get a chance to put a good word in for GA.

-Nathan