CBS News Piece

Old January 15th 04, 03:14 AM
Philip Sondericker

Default CBS News Piece

Okay, I just watched the story that seems to have everyone up in arms, and I
have to say, it was as ill-conceived and poorly thought out as many people
feared. A couple of quick points:

I actually found it somewhat humorous when the story mentioned the Florida
kid who stole an airplane and crashed it into a Tampa skyscraper. The intent
may have been to startle us with the destructive potential of GA aircraft,
but the accompanying picture was a hilarious counterpoint--a shot of a
massive skyscraper with just a tiny bit of damage, hardly even noticable
unless you were looking for it. The narrator, of course, missed the irony.

I also didn't feel that the airport manager they interviewed was very
helpful, but let's all keep in mind that he may have been answering
extremely leading questions, and who knows how much of what he said was
edited out.

Finally, the breathless speculation by the former NTSB official as to what
might happen if a small airplane was loaded with explosives was simply
irresponsible and willfully ignorant. He surely knows that September 11th
was the culmination of DECADES of planning and learning by terrorists. They
certainly considered every possibility for carrying out their plans,
carefully studied past terrorist attacks, and looked with extreme care at
which option had the best chance of working. And guess what? They didn't
choose small airplanes.

Old January 15th 04, 05:48 AM
Dave Stadt

"Philip Sondericker" wrote in message
[...]

After hearing him talk I understand why he is an EX NTSB official.

Old January 15th 04, 04:14 PM
Kevin Darling

Philip Sondericker wrote in message ...
Okay, I just watched the story that seems to have everyone up in arms, and I
have to say, it was as ill-conceived and poorly thought out as many people
feared.

Yes, I'm sure the airport manager was edited.

It's a pity that network news has degenerated into this kind of
quickie crap. 40,000 people killed each year on US highways...
that's not news. The possibility of using a small plane to kill
dozens... that is.

"Ohmigod passengers and baggage aren't screened!" They forget
that small airplanes are like small cars... passengers usually are
your friends. Do car drivers x-ray their relatives' luggage?

Just wait. Next they'll figure out that there are zillions of radio
controlled airplanes (!!) out there in the hands of teenagers, which
could be "packed with explosives". Yep, the RC danger is real,
folks.
Old January 15th 04, 04:34 PM
Dave Stadt

"Kevin Darling" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Actually RC planes have been grounded at certain places and times due to
terrorist fears. I am sure Osama got a heck of a good laugh over that one.

Old January 15th 04, 04:52 PM
Kevin Darling

Philip Sondericker wrote in message ...
I actually found it somewhat humorous when the story mentioned the Florida
kid who stole an airplane and crashed it into a Tampa skyscraper. The intent
may have been to startle us with the destructive potential of GA aircraft,
but the accompanying picture was a hilarious counterpoint--a shot of a
massive skyscraper with just a tiny bit of damage, hardly even noticable
unless you were looking for it. The narrator, of course, missed the irony.

And the narrator's "They were powerless to stop it!".

They had a helicopter flying alongside... they just didn't feel it was
necessary to shoot down a teenage student pilot. Neither did the USAF
when he flew over their base beforehand.

It sure would be nice if CBS did a balanced piece showing how
important GA is to such things as getting donor organs to people on
time, moving packages and checks, etc.
Old January 15th 04, 05:02 PM
John Harlow

Okay, I just watched the story that seems to have everyone up in
arms,

Here's the whole thing straight from the horse's ass...

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in593216.shtml

Does anyone know this John Trissel fellow? I'd like to know what he
*really* said.

Old January 15th 04, 05:50 PM
CFLav8r

"John Harlow"
Does anyone know this John Trissel fellow? I'd like to know what he

*really* said.

I don't know what he really said but after a short search on the internet I
found the
following websites:
John Trissel / Chase Trissel are both managers at : Eagles Nest Flight
Service
http://www.eaglesnest.aero/

And let us not forget the pretty realestate agent, Lesley Hock.
She is the one that I feel sorry for because I believe she was trying to
sell
the benefits of the airpark, not its shortcomings. CBS with editing turned
that all around. Otherwise why would she have a website selling you on the
area?
http://www.lesleyhock.com/

David

Old January 15th 04, 08:15 PM
Peter R.

Gene Seibel ) wrote:

When I get into my airplane, I always screen myself by asking the two
important questions - Has your luggage been in your possession at all
times? Has anyone given you anything or asked you to carry on or check
any items for them? Then on random days I take my shoes off.

LOL! What about occasionally performing a random orifice inspection?

--
Peter