Importing a DG 505 Elan Orion

Old February 16th 17, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Importing a DG 505 Elan Orion

I am buying a DG505 Orion from South Africa - I need to figure out the best way to get the paperwork in order. It will ship in the next month, but right now I have options of getting it here and doing things to make the registration go better - ANY IDEAS, or Thoughts are appreciated.

WH
Bill Hanson
Old February 16th 17, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I can't speak to this page still being 100% accurate, but it's probably a good start.

http://mitsa.aerobaticsweb.org/glider_import.html
Old February 16th 17, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Here's another for you: http://www.insuredaircraft.com/

I used them to get all of my paperwork through the FAA very quickly and
at a very reasonable cost.

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 16th 17, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 15:49 16 February 2017, wrote:
I am buying a DG505 Orion from South Africa - I need to figure

out the
best=
way to get the paperwork in order. It will ship in the next month,

but
ri=
ght now I have options of getting it here and doing things to make

the
regi=
stration go better - ANY IDEAS, or Thoughts are appreciated.

WH
Bill Hanson

Bill,

Make sure that the bill of sale reflects the EXACT wording of how
the glider is registered in S.A. Then, use the IDENTICAL
description (make and model number) when you submit your
application for USA registration. The manufacturer's name and the
model number of the aircraft have to match (letter for letter
including caps, lower case, hyphens, etc)
EXACTLY all the way through the paperwork chain from S.A.
registration to S.A. bill of sale to you, to your own application for
USA registration, otherwise the USA FAA will reject your application
for registration. Also, when you fill out the registration application,
be VERY careful to read it closely and fill out exactly as required. If
you make the slightest error, they will bounce it, and will continue
to do so until it is exactly correct. That could delay you for many
months if not attended to properly.

Also, for your sales tax purposes, you might request separate bills
of sale for the glider, instruments and trailer to be provided for the
tax authorities when they ask for a specific bill of sale to determine
your tax liability.

Good luck.

RO

Old February 17th 17, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

I was looking at a glider that had been imported from South Africa. There's
fee for deregistration, as well as significant time for paper shuffling.

Old February 17th 17, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duster

Bill,
Mssrs Optiz and Marotta's experience will guide you well. Don't underestimate the guidance the local FSDO might provide to you if you contact the FAA first, instead of using them only to troubleshoot. They're not supposed to be obstructionists. That 505 looks like a great ship; good luck with it.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...port_aircraft/

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-sa...raft#importing
Old February 17th 17, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 01:39 17 February 2017, Duster wrote:
Bill,
Mssrs Optiz and Marotta's experience will guide you well. Don't
underestim=
ate the guidance the local FSDO might provide to you if you

contact the
FAA=
first, instead of using them only to troubleshoot. They're not

supposed
to=
be obstructionists. That 505 looks like a great ship; good luck

with it.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...tification/air

craft_r=
egistry/import_aircraft/

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-sa...hive/aircraft-

ownership/bus=
iness-justification/importing-and-exporting-aircraft#importing

There is a critical item missing from the AOPA web site. They refer
to a bi-lateral airworthiness agreement between the USA and the
other country, and list a bunch of countries, where South Africa is
included. The problem is that those agreements are only for
aircraft manufactured in either of the two signing countries. (USA
and S.A. in this case) In the DG-505 case, the glider was not
manufactured in S.A., so what you are really looking for is a 3rd
country manufacture bi-lateral agreement which does NOT exist
between the USA and S.A. That means that the USA FAA will NOT
recognize an Export C of A for a glider imported from S.A. but
manufactured somewhere else.

Also, if you search the FAA TCDS listings, there is no TCDS for the
DG 505 Orion ELAN (only for the DG-500). So, without a 3rd
country bi-lateral agreement and a USA TCDS, the glider will have to
be registered in the Experimental category once you get it here. If
there were a valid TCDS (which I somehow missed), and lacking a
3rd country import bi-lateral agreement, you could then still get a
USA Standard airworthiness by going Dan's route in hiring a DAR
and going through a very expensive conformity inspection.

See the table in appendix 4 on page 63 of the pdf file. Look at the
fourth column from the right for 3rd country manufacture bi-lateral
agreements with the USA FAA:

https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/..._circular/ac21
-23b.pdf

Here is a note which I found in the Import Requirements section of
the FAA DG-500 TCDS:

"Gliders manufactured in Slovenia under jurisdiction of the
Slovenian Directorate of Civil Aviation are not within the scope of the
current agreement or past agreements and therefore are not eligible
for a U.S. standard airworthiness certificate."

RO

Old February 17th 17, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Just a comment on Mike O.'s information: Though the Mexican Export C of
A for my Stemme was not acceptable for a US Standard Airworthiness
Certificate, there does exist a German Export C of A for that ship and I
made that available to the DAR. I believe that was the basis for my US
Standard Certification and the DAR's inspection was to verify that the
ship conformed to /_that_/ C of A. Of course, I've misunderstood things
before...

Old February 17th 17, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thank you for all the extremely useful info! and guidance.

the effort is very much appreciated!

Bill, WH
Old February 17th 17, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 15:25 17 February 2017, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...ertification/a
ir
craft_r=
egistry/import_aircraft/

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/pic-

archive/aircraft-

https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/...ory_circular/a
c21
-23b.pdf

Here is a note which I found in the Import Requirements

section of
the FAA DG-500 TCDS:

"Gliders manufactured in Slovenia under jurisdiction of the
Slovenian Directorate of Civil Aviation are not within the scope

of the
current agreement or past agreements and therefore are not

eligible
for a U.S. standard airworthiness certificate."

RO

--
Dan, 5J

The FAA and thus the DAR are only concerned with the existence
of a TCDS, and should one exist, confirming that the aircraft
conforms with the specifications stipulated by it. A foreign
Export C of A is useless unless there is a bilateral TCDS to go by.
RO

POH for DG500 Elan Trainer GM Soaring 1 July 20th 14 12:55 PM
Pilot Operating Handbook for DG500 Elan Trainer GM Soaring 0 April 22nd 14 12:05 PM
dg300 elan questions Christian de Vet Soaring 0 May 6th 11 03:04 PM
Cert. of Airworthiness - DG 505's AKA DG500 Elan Orion - what's theFAA story? YFCpilots Soaring 0 December 27th 09 08:38 PM
Importing a glider Gus Rasch Soaring 7 August 13th 03 10:34 PM