Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

Old August 29th 20, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

Default Paraglider pilot missing in eastern Nevada

Rec.Avation.Speculation
Old August 29th 20, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 7:27:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The battery may have run out without his noticing and he could have flown for a considerable time after.

Yeah, the battery went dead on BOTH his InReach and his radio at the same time. The guy has been missing for six days in the desert w/o water. Maybe he get kidnapped by Martians...
Old August 29th 20, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

On 8/28/2020 6:43 PM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 4:06:57 PM UTC-7, BobW wrote:
On 8/28/2020 3:55 PM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 6:37:52 AM UTC-7,
wrote:

Snip...
Rhetorical comment: "Geez, Tom. Short on chill pills? Do you *enjoy*
coming across as obtuse?"

Hopefully this ends well...though - I infer - with each day it seems
less likely. Infer? Just me, I guess...

cf: "...the crash he was certainly involved in." Certainly?

Seems to me, the situation is serious enough without indulging in
"terminal public speculation." Best wishes for Mr. Johnston, his family,
and friends.

Bob W.

Gee Bob, so you THINK the guy landed uneventfully and DIDN'T crash? Maybe
YOU need a chill pill. His last reported position by his InReach was at
14,000 ft with NO subsequent fixes. In other words, device was damaged
beyond use. Sounds like a crash to me.

Keep digging that hole, Tom. Nowhere did I state what I think may or may not
have happened. I'll simply note here - my last post on this unfortunate topic
- you're doing well at justifying your initial speculation by now bringing in
subsequent info (apparently) unknown at the time of that initial post (to you,
so I infer, or you would have mentioned it, not leaving it to another poster
to do so). I'm reminded of my school bus driving days when reasoning with
unruly kids.

Bob W.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old August 29th 20, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

wrote:

[...]

No, that is absolutely FALSE - I knew that and MORE that I didn't post that I got from the Ely glider pilot who talked to one of the paraglider pilots.. How do you think I knew they weren't carrying aviation radios? This guy did not initially contact the Sheriff's office and had to be strongly encouraged to do so by my friend. Then, there was a 4 hour delay as two sheriff departments disputed which had jurisdictional authority. On top of all of that, the paraglider pilot is an AIRLINE PILOT!

The bottom line here is that eastern Nevada is a very unsuitable place to fly the most fragile of aircraft, paragliders. And being unprepared for the inevitable consequences can be fatal. I don't apologize for being blunt if it may save someone else's life.

Tom
Old August 29th 20, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BG[_4_]

On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 9:15:35 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 7:27:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The battery may have run out without his noticing and he could have flown for a considerable time after.

Yeah, the battery went dead on BOTH his InReach and his radio at the same time. The guy has been missing for six days in the desert w/o water. Maybe he get kidnapped by Martians...

We can all see his last InReach report ended at 14500 ft , but how do we know his radio quit at the same time?
BG

Old August 29th 20, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Saturday, August 29, 2020 at 11:50:32 AM UTC-7, BG wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 9:15:35 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
On Friday, August 28, 2020 at 7:27:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The battery may have run out without his noticing and he could have flown for a considerable time after.

Yeah, the battery went dead on BOTH his InReach and his radio at the same time. The guy has been missing for six days in the desert w/o water. Maybe he get kidnapped by Martians...

We can all see his last InReach report ended at 14500 ft , but how do we know his radio quit at the same time?
BG

The radios they were using were consumer-grade 2-way radios of limited range (about 2 miles). At some point in their flight they couldn't contact Johnston/Oroc. They tried to contact Oroc with these radios on search aircraft unsuccessfully. His last fix near Ninemile Peak isn't that far from a farm with two crop circles that presumably had water (about 6 miles), and they have searched this area unsuccessfully with a FLIR-equipped helicopter (https://pvtimes.com/news/rescue-team...glider-88636/). So far, there has been no evidence of a discarded paraglider or emergency chute canopy. And now it has been 6 days with no sighting. People have survived longer periods, but they had access to water. It looks pretty grim.

Tom
Old September 1st 20, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

"The “leading theory” for rescuers is that the Garmin InReach was in freefall when it sent its last trackpoint. Its groundspeed was only 2.4mph, which is “too slow for thermalling or reserve drift,” given the wind."

https://xcmag.com/news/james-kiwi-jo...ing-in-nevada/

official search suspended

https://xcmag.com/news/kiwi-johnston...rch-suspended/

Boggs
Old September 1st 20, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, August 31, 2020 at 7:19:08 PM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:
"The “leading theory” for rescuers is that the Garmin InReach was in freefall when it sent its last trackpoint. Its groundspeed was only 2.4mph, which is “too slow for thermalling or reserve drift,” given the wind."

https://xcmag.com/news/james-kiwi-jo...ing-in-nevada/

official search suspended

https://xcmag.com/news/kiwi-johnston...rch-suspended/

Boggs

The idea that Johnston "dropped" his InReach is, at best, very wishful thinking. More likely was it was a valid fix and he had reversed direction into the headwind. He traveled some 50 miles in 3 hours; how far could he go in the 10 min between fixes? A mile?
Finding these bodies out in the vast areas of Nevada is daunting. He had an InReach, which puts him in the minority of most of these idiots, yet they still couldn't find his body. Without the InReach fix they would have just thrown up their hands and given up.
Old September 1st 20, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The end of InReach fixes may be unrelated to his actual accident. Complexity is a regular feature of accidents. The assumption that the end of transmissions is the same event as his accident may be why the search has failed. He may have flown a long way toward Wendover or wherever the conditions looked good without a working tracker.

Nevada is not unusually rugged. The search area images show typical western Basin and Range terrain. If he was in a vertical decent/freefall at the last fix, then the search area would be tiny, and he would have been found right away.
Old September 1st 20, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Tom you realize you don’t know what you talking about? Paragliders fly much faster and farther than you think. In fact some of these guys often fly 300-500km in paragliders.
Also the safety record of “these idiots” as you call them is in fact better than gliders. There are many more paraglider pilots and paraglider flights than sailplanes, with lower fatality rate. Sure they get injured much more often, but most of their accidents are survivable. We lost more glider pilots in Nevada than paraglider pilots. They certainly carry a lot of water with them, and can easily land on any dirt road and walk. And since many of them are younger and in better shape than many of us, they can walk out 20+ miles to the nearest road. They fly with 2M ham radios which reaches far more than “few miles” I believe further than our hand held radios, and can also use ham relays and other technologies. And most of them fly with trackers.
Perhaps non soaring pilots can make judgments on anyone who chose to fly light aircrafts without engines in the middle of nowhere, but not us.

Ramy