Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Old September 15th 20, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Didn't want to hijack the current FES tread so I thought I'd start a new one.
This topic came up over dinner a couple of weeks ago.

When you add all the following into a pot and stir, whats the "Best"
Say for Western Great Basin flying.

I think it may be the Carat, but I don't know much about it.
CX thinks its the DG 800 series, but all I know is since he bought that thing its been a endless battle to keep it running. But it does climb well.

FACTORS

Reliability
Maintenance required to keep it running
XC flyability, performance and control feel
Storability
Rigging
Initial cost
High density climb performance
Range
Cockpit layout and seating
Parts availability
Insurance cost
Landing gear complexity
Overall quality
Nick
Old September 15th 20, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 1:48:13 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
[...]

Perhaps add current delivery time from order
Old September 15th 20, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 12:19:11 PM UTC-6, Dan Daly wrote:
[...]

Something thats available used this year maybe
Not pie in the sky vaporware
Nick

Old September 15th 20, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 2:28:37 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Something thats available used this year maybe
Not pie in the sky vaporware

Perhaps 2G's 26?

Old September 15th 20, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 3:59:35 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Stemme. Except for acquisition cost...
On 9/15/2020 12:34 PM, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 2:28:37 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Something thats available used this year maybe
Not pie in the sky vaporware

Perhaps 2G's 26?

--
Dan, 5J

For a Touring Motorglider, I vote for the Phoenix.
Old September 15th 20, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

[...]

Value and performance for the price- DG-400
UH
Old September 16th 20, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

I was thinking single seat Cross Country flying
I've flown the Phoenix, too low performance, looking for at least 40/1
I've got a fair amount of time in the Stemme with Glider Bob.
Stemme is too much of everything, cost, weight, complexity.
I think the Stemme was concieved by mating a B-52 and a Abrams tank.
The ASH 26E is very high on the list. Bill Gawthrop loved his and put up a ton of big flights in it and I don't remember him having many problems with it.
The DG 400 is too but I've read engine parts are hard to come by these days, but they do trade hands for 60-65K.
What about the Carat? Looks kinda funny with the prop blades folded forward, but Randal Acree puts up some impressive flights in his. What do they trade hands for?
Nick
Old September 16th 20, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Wikipedia say the Carat is 35/1
4 cyl Volkswagon like aircooled 1800cc engine.
Cannot be airstarted, must have battery power to engage the starter motor.
Nick

ASW 20C Motorglider Nick Kennedy[_3_] Soaring 3 February 7th 19 12:17 PM
FS: DG-400 Motorglider 2G Soaring 0 September 20th 13 02:32 PM
IFR in motorglider? cp Soaring 28 March 9th 08 01:02 AM
Motorglider Tug Ray Lovinggood Soaring 21 November 13th 04 05:06 AM
motorglider KsiTau Soaring 0 September 4th 04 09:10 AM