Hero, Garmin or OTHER?

Old September 16th 20, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Hero, Garmin or OTHER?

Reading the dismal (I'm being kind) reviews of the latest Hero Gopro I'm looking at alternatives. Kind of.

Has anybody settled on an alternative?

So far what I've seen either desaturates color or has reliability issues.

(Read=this is NOT an endorsement of Garmin OR GoPro.).

Thanks for any unbiased non-renumerative input.
Old September 17th 20, 01:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Campbell

On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 1:28:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Reading the dismal (I'm being kind) reviews of the latest Hero Gopro I'm looking at alternatives. Kind of.

Has anybody settled on an alternative?

So far what I've seen either desaturates color or has reliability issues.

(Read=this is NOT an endorsement of Garmin OR GoPro.).

Thanks for any unbiased non-renumerative input.

I had an early model Garmin Virb and found it to be quite good....until it got glitchy, needed updates, sent back to Garmin for rebuild. That one quit working. They offered an upgrade at 10% off retail. Each exchange cost me something. Then Garmin just stopped supporting the Virb and came out with something that looked more like a GoPro. Very disappointing to have a company with such a good name treat one product line like an out-of-wedlock child. No suggestions, sorry.
Old September 17th 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 17, 2020 at 7:36:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I had an early model Garmin Virb and found it to be quite good....until it got glitchy, needed updates, sent back to Garmin for rebuild. That one quit working. They offered an upgrade at 10% off retail. Each exchange cost me something. Then Garmin just stopped supporting the Virb and came out with something that looked more like a GoPro. Very disappointing to have a company with such a good name treat one product line like an out-of-wedlock child. No suggestions, sorry.

Thanks for sharing. After reading up on the heat issues with the Hero 8 I started looking at alternatives. The Garmin Elite 30 and XE were the next two on my list but it looks for all the world like they are getting ready to release something else which would put me exactly in the same boat you were in. Maybe a Chinese knock off for 150 or less is the best option until the dust settles. I found one with 4K 30fps and EIS (at 1040p) for 158 bucks but the color isn't anything to write home about.

Old September 18th 20, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Not about cameras, but about rotten customer service.

Ever since my Garmin Pilot software running on an iPad in quit in /_mid
flight_/ with a statement that my subscription had expired, I won't buy
any Garmin product.Â* Fortunately I was in clear skies when the
application locked up.Â* After landing, I renewed the subscription to get
home and it again worked fine.Â* But after getting home, I started
looking for (and found) another EFB product.

Dan

--
Dan, 5J

Old September 18th 20, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

I like Garmin stuff, if not their after-sale support.
They do have history...

I had a GPS II+, which was excellent for what I bought it to do - walk an
accurate bearing to pick up a Free Flight model after a long flight, this
being before we started putting light-weight hawk tracking transmitters
in our models). My GPS II+ started reporting that its internal coin cell
(used to maintain the GPS calendar and ephemeris if the AA cells it ran
on went flat and/or while they are being changed) failed just before the
guarantee expired. Took it back and got the coin cell replaced, was told
that it failed due to a dud batch of coin cells, but that would be the
last fix because the GPSII+ was now obsolete and would not be supported
in future. I thought that was a bit raw because the GPS II+ wasn't
exactly cheap at the time.

That was in 2002. Since then that unit (plus another I got off FleaBay as
a backup) still work just because they have always had AA cells installed
and replaced as needed, and the original, plus map, was my nav system
when I first started flying XC in club gliders.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old September 18th 20, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

....And then there's the Garmin 396 that came with the Stemme.Â* Turns out
you have to turn it on to keep the coin battery charged.Â* Once that one
died, the unit would not lock on to satellites.Â* Garmin wanted about
$400 to replace the $2 battery which is soldered onto the deepest into
the unit board.

I found a step by step tutorial on replacing the battery and, for about
$5 bought 4 batteries and replaced the faulty battery myself. The unit
locked right up!

Then there's my wife's car GPS.Â* Garmin told her the battery was not
replaceable and to buy a new unit.Â* I replaced hers for about $15.

And the GNS430W in our Cessna.Â* It has an intermittent, mostly on,
message that says that the VORLOC remote switch is stuck.Â* We don't have
that switch installed.Â* There's not even a wire connected to the unit to
service that switch.Â* Garmin wants over $1,000 just to have a look.Â* I
think I'll simply ignore that message...

I could go on.Â* I think their products work just fine so long as they
work but once there's a problem, get your wallet out.

Old September 19th 20, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

wrote:

[...]

Garmin can charge those exorbitant rates because they can - most people don't own a soldering iron, let alone know how to use one. Thank God for youtube and people, such as myself, who post DIY videos.

Tom
Old September 19th 20, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thank you all for the feedback.

This was one of the tougher choices for me. After watching video comparisons until my eyes bled I narrowed my short list to the Garmin Ultra 30 and the GoPro 8 Black. The Ultra 30 has already been phased out in a couple of markets. I have no idea what is going to replace it.

Today, I got an advert for the GoPro Hero 9 Black for $349 with 32gb sandisk and a one year subscription to their cloud/pro discounts and free two day shipping. That was 50 bucks cheaper than anyplace else so....it'll be here in time for next weeks flying.

Haven't needed to heat up my soldering iron in a while but this winter might want to make a changes to my panel

Old September 19th 20, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Friday, September 18, 2020 at 7:35:28 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback.

This was one of the tougher choices for me. After watching video comparisons until my eyes bled I narrowed my short list to the Garmin Ultra 30 and the GoPro 8 Black. The Ultra 30 has already been phased out in a couple of markets. I have no idea what is going to replace it.

Today, I got an advert for the GoPro Hero 9 Black for $349 with 32gb sandisk and a one year subscription to their cloud/pro discounts and free two day shipping. That was 50 bucks cheaper than anyplace else so....it'll be here in time for next weeks flying.

Haven't needed to heat up my soldering iron in a while but this winter might want to make a changes to my panel

Shaun,
Every GOPRO I have had shut down from heat after 30 minutes.

Go to Amazon CrossTour CT9700 cam

Save yourself lots of money, buy a battery pack RAVPower RP-PB19 and the CrossTour cT9700 will run the entire flight.

Richard

Hero emulation son_of_flubber Soaring 56 February 25th 18 06:17 PM
Zero to Hero in one flight Tony[_5_] Soaring 5 June 18th 10 09:50 PM
a hero passes Ray O'Hara[_2_] Aviation Photos 21 May 7th 07 11:31 AM
Piggyback Hero No Name Aviation Photos 6 January 31st 07 03:52 AM
the passing of a hero Ray O'Hara Aviation Photos 1 December 3rd 06 08:57 AM