How many Lycomings built?

Old January 28th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default How many Lycomings built?

Hi all!

Quick question, haven't been able to find the answer. Roughly how many
GA piston Lycomings have been built? Within a few hundred thousand, at
least, but the number doesn't have to be exact. I'd like to compare
how many were made versus how many wankel rotary engines, just as a
data point.

Thanks!

Ben Hallert
PP-ASEL - http://hallert.net/cozy/

Old January 28th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Way, way too many.

Old January 29th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Ben Hallert wrote:

Ben..

I dont have an answer to your question, but I always keep an eye out for
the rotary minded.

I looked at your webpage.. saw what youve got there, and some of the
rationalizations that you've listed there. Glad to have you in the ranks
of builders now.. (well.. almost builder... you've placed the order for
parts).

If you are serious about the rotary, I would recommend the Rotary Engine
Listserv, hosted by Marvin Kaye on his LancairOnline website. This is a
fairly active listserv that has group discussion and data points from
around the world regarding the rotary engine in aircraft. We have folks
with mazda auto backgrounds, racing background and most importantly
folks with stick time behind and in front of Mazda/Rotary engines in
aircraft.

I didn't see your name there as a poster, so I am making the assumption
you are unaware of it (sorry if its in error).

The websites:
Homepage: http://www.flyrotary.com/
Archive: http://lancaironline.net/lists/flyrotary/List.html

I see how you've found Tracy Crook's website, as well as the Cozy Grrrls
site. Good starting points... Have you checked out John Slades site
(he's actually FLYING a cozy with a rotary, and has completed his flight
test.. he has had a real rough go at making things work and is now
enjoying excellent success and performance)? The website for him is
http://www.canardaviation.com/ No offense intended towards John Matcho
and the Canard Zone, but there is another forum that is hosted by John
Slade and a few others called the Canard Aviation Forum (you can get to
it from the above address). The traffic there is much more involved and
frequent than at the zone in my opinion. Nothing wrong with belonging to
both.. as I do.

Regarding some of the content on your page:
I would ask that you keep an open mind about the in-flight adjustable
pitch props. In the 3-5 years it will take you to be close to first
flight and needing to make that purchase, perhaps there will be more
data. I do know that the certified planes I've flown with CS props, I
like the performance that they give me, both on climb AND descent. Given
that you the Cozy (and other canards) tend to land and take off at
faster speeds (due to no flaps and the canard having a higher AOA),
anything that helps you accelerate faster gets you off the ground
sooner. A CS or adjustable pitch prop can help get you in and out of
places that you otherwise would be unable or barely able to use.

Enjoy the build, hope to see you on those other outlets..
Dave
Old January 29th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply! I joined the flyrotary list a few days ago, I
just haven't introduced myself yet. I tend to lurk and read as much as
possible, but I imagine I'll pipe up when it's time to lay out some
cash for the engine. I've read John Slades website with much interest,
and have pored over his install and test experiences. Unless there's a
big shift between now and the end of my build, I'm guessing the design
of the scoop/cooling system will be my biggest hurdle, but heck,
they're not experimental aircraft for nothing, right?

I've definately got an open mind on the adjustable props. I too am
very interested in the shortened takeoff (The Cozy is usually quoted as
having a 1,500 foot takeoff and landing roll because it's a pusher),
and the more I think about it, the more I want that CS prop. The main
reason I'm shying away from it at the moment is that I'm concerned
about the added complexity (I've already got an experimental airframe
AND engine) and I've heard some things about Ivo props that makes me
want to do more research before spending money, but time will tell. I
changed that item to be a little less set in stone, and I will keep an
eye on it.

Best regards,

Ben Hallert
http://hallert.net/cozy/

Old January 30th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Ben Hallert wrote:
Hi all!

Quick question, haven't been able to find the answer. Roughly how many
GA piston Lycomings have been built? Within a few hundred thousand, at
least, .....

Odd Q to ask on a newsgroup. From Lycoming's own website: "...The
company has built more than 325,000 piston aircraft engines and powers
more than half the world's general aviation fleet..."

Daniel

Old January 30th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Ben Hallert wrote:
Hi Dave,

(SNIP)

The main
reason I'm shying away from it at the moment is that I'm concerned
about the added complexity (I've already got an experimental airframe
AND engine) and I've heard some things about Ivo props that makes me
want to do more research before spending money, but time will tell. I
changed that item to be a little less set in stone, and I will keep an
eye on it.

Not a problem... I've heard a few things too that made us question that
decision on several levels, but for the powerplant we are using, and in
the configuration we are using, it seems like a win/win. We (the
community) should have some good data in one direction or the other
within the few years it will take you to build.

Dave
Old January 30th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Excellent! Thanks, I must have searched for just not quite the right
terms. It does sound a bit odd, but I'm just collecting data I can use
as part of my engine selection criteria. It's not the whole story, or
even most of it, but it's a little piece of info that might be useful
in the right context.

Thanks!

Ben Hallert
http://hallert.net/cozy/