Wooden Fuselage Gussets

Old August 6th 05, 01:32 PM
......... :-\)\)

Default Wooden Fuselage Gussets

There are many homebuilts that have open truss type wooden fuselages built
from square spruce sticks joined with plywood gussets. Typically the gussets
are 1/8" plywood. Aircraft such as the Cavalier, Termite, Pietenpol.
Somethings bugging me ....

When it comes time to cover the fuselage what is the normal method used to
fair the plywood gussets so that they arn't visible through the fabric. I
have consulted the plans for a number of these aircraft and they don't say
what to do .....

Has anyone built a fuselage like this who can tell me how to deal with this
?

Old August 6th 05, 02:26 PM
Ed Sullivan

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 22:32:38 +1000, "......... :-\)\)"
wrote:

There are many homebuilts that have open truss type wooden fuselages built
from square spruce sticks joined with plywood gussets. Typically the gussets
are 1/8" plywood. Aircraft such as the Cavalier, Termite, Pietenpol.
Somethings bugging me ....

When it comes time to cover the fuselage what is the normal method used to
fair the plywood gussets so that they arn't visible through the fabric. I
have consulted the plans for a number of these aircraft and they don't say
what to do .....

Has anyone built a fuselage like this who can tell me how to deal with this
?

Most have a couple of fairing strips on edge along the sides and
bottom in a couple of places.. In the case of mine there was also a
1/8 thick strip of spruce about a half inch wide added to the side and
bottom of the longerons between the gussets. They and the gussets are
then sanded to a slightly rounded profile so the fabric lies smoothly
over them.

Ed Sullivan, Jungster II

Old August 6th 05, 03:32 PM
Rich S.

"......... :-))" wrote in message
u...
There are many homebuilts that have open truss type wooden fuselages built
from square spruce sticks joined with plywood gussets. Typically the
gussets
are 1/8" plywood. Aircraft such as the Cavalier, Termite, Pietenpol.
Somethings bugging me ....

When it comes time to cover the fuselage what is the normal method used to
fair the plywood gussets so that they arn't visible through the fabric. I
have consulted the plans for a number of these aircraft and they don't say
what to do .....

Has anyone built a fuselage like this who can tell me how to deal with
this

When building a vooden airplane, there is always the problem of left-over
glue in the bottom of the cup. It is foolish to mix to little glue and try
to stretch it, so you end up mixing too much.

The solution is to have pre-cut strips of scrap plywood at hand. To use up
the glue, cut a strip of plywood to length to fit between two gussets and
glue it in place.

Oh, 1/8"?? What are you building, a DeHavallind Mosquito? Planes the size of
an Emeraude or Cavalier use 2 mm plywood if it's Okume or 1.5 mm Finnish
Birch.

BTW, the Emeraude plans say to taper the edges of the gussets, but it does
look better to my eye to add the filler strips.

Rich S.

Old August 6th 05, 05:23 PM
UltraJohn

The solution is to have pre-cut strips of scrap plywood at hand. To use up
the glue, cut a strip of plywood to length to fit between two gussets and
glue it in place.

Oh, 1/8"?? What are you building, a DeHavallind Mosquito? Planes the size
of an Emeraude or Cavalier use 2 mm plywood if it's Okume or 1.5 mm
Finnish Birch.

BTW, the Emeraude plans say to taper the edges of the gussets, but it does
look better to my eye to add the filler strips.

Rich S.

An extra oz. here and and extra oz. there and oh yeah this addition would be
nice! All of a sudden the plane weighs 20% over design empty weight! ;-)
If the plans say taper your probably best tapering.

John
(just 2 cents worth!)

Old August 6th 05, 05:33 PM
Rich S.

"UltraJohn" wrote in message
ink.net...

An extra oz. here and and extra oz. there and oh yeah this addition would
be
nice! All of a sudden the plane weighs 20% over design empty weight! ;-)
If the plans say taper your probably best tapering.

I agree 100%, John. In my particular case, because of engine selection, the
longerons needed a skosh more thickness. My aero design engineer pal
suggested that the gap fillers would do the job. I still ended up below
average weight for the genre.

Rich S.

Old August 7th 05, 12:51 AM
Ed Sullivan

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 16:23:09 GMT, UltraJohn
wrote:

An extra oz. here and and extra oz. there and oh yeah this addition would be
nice! All of a sudden the plane weighs 20% over design empty weight! ;-)
If the plans say taper your probably best tapering.

John
(just 2 cents worth!)

Actually all the measures I described in my post were according to
plans and the aircraft is quite light.

Ed Sullivan

Old August 9th 05, 02:58 AM
Lou

For another 2cents worth, my plans called for the wooden gussets only
on one side. The other side is to be covered with plywood instead of
fabric.
Lou

Old August 9th 05, 08:13 PM
Richard Lamb

Drifting - slightly - I'm currious about the following...
I was thinking about routing off the sharp edges of exposed vertical
and diagional
members. Now this would be for edges not in contact with skin or
gussets.
Maybe 1/8 or 3/16 radius router.

And I'd not try it on longerons (chicken).

But rounding off the square edges of the wood seems like a reasonable
weight reduction idea.

Ok, maybe it's just a few ounces involved, but -
1) reducing is mo better than adding
2) the squared off edges don't carry much - if any - load.
3) rounded edges are less susceptible to damage (splinters?)

Comments?

Richard

Old August 10th 05, 12:23 AM

This was a standard procedure on many early Fokker & de Haviland-type
fuselages (ie, plywood shear-web & wooden structural members), although
most were chamfered rather than routed. While there is some reduction
in weight, knocking off the corners reduces the surface area of the
exposed portion of the structural member, requiring less varnish.
Elimination of the corners also reduces the tendency for brashness or
splintering common to Douglas Fir.

In a similar vein, that odd green tint seen in the varnish on the
inside of early wooden airframes came from an anti-fungal agent, added
to the varnish to prevent the biological degradation of the
casein-based glue.

-R.S.Hoover

low fuselage trailer ramps [email protected] Soaring 3 July 20th 05 06:44 PM
Mandatory inspection of Schleicher wooden gliders. W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\). Soaring 2 June 7th 05 10:15 PM
kevlar in fuselage Rick Walters Soaring 2 January 20th 05 10:59 PM
Drywall Gussets Veeduber Home Built 5 October 27th 03 09:03 PM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM