Cell phone headset adapter?

Old July 28th 05, 11:45 PM
Alan

Default Cell phone headset adapter?

Yes, I want to talk on my cell phone, listen to Flight Watch and
fiddle with the sectionals all at once! Well, maybe one at a time.

I've seen ads for these guys with prices ranging from $19.95 to $170.
Anyone have any experience with these and/or a recommendation?

Thanks.

Alan Bloom
Dogs can fly.
www.flyingmutts.com
Old July 28th 05, 11:56 PM
Robert M. Gary

1) They probably won't work in the air. The older cell technologies
used to work TDMA/CDMA/etc but the newer technologies will NOT work GSM
etc.
2) Technically it is a federal violation of FCC regulations to use a
cell phone in flight.

The decices are mention are designed to allow you to call FSS for a
clearance while on the ground.
-Robert

Old July 29th 05, 09:49 AM
Thomas Borchert

Alan,

in contrast to what the other poster said, I can't see why GSM wouldn't
work up to altitudes of around 5000 feet, at least. It does work here.

As for the cell phone adaptors, just one thought: before getting one of
the expensive ones, it might make more sense to buy a headset with a
cell phone connector integrated, if you don't have the headset of your
dreams already.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 29th 05, 01:41 PM
Jon Kraus

No experience myself but my Mooney partner purchased one for around $100
from Sporty's and he said it works good.

Jon Kraus
'79 Mooney 201

Old July 29th 05, 07:13 PM
Robert M. Gary

Mine kicks out at about 1000 feet

Old July 29th 05, 07:54 PM
TripFarmer

I use the one I got with my Lightspeed headset and it works very well.
It's easy to send text messages while in the air. I type it out then
wait till I fly over a populated area or major highway and then send from
4-6k feet.

Trip

In article , says...

Old July 29th 05, 11:41 PM
LWG

You don't really need an adapter. Just get one of those hands-free ear buds
that contains the microphone too. Not the kind where the microphone is
farther down on the cord. The whole thing fits easily in your ear, and the
headset goes over it. The sidetone from your intercom puts your voice into
the microphone in your ear, and the speaker part allows you to hear. Works
well, and is not at all uncomfortable. I don't make that many calls in the
air, but when I do, this comes in handy. My newer cell phone works to about
5k, and higher for text messages.

Hands-free is about$12.99 at your local Wal Mart.

Les

Old August 2nd 05, 04:00 PM
Scott Migaldi

Robert M. Gary wrote:
1) They probably won't work in the air. The older cell technologies
used to work TDMA/CDMA/etc but the newer technologies will NOT work GSM
etc.
2) Technically it is a federal violation of FCC regulations to use a
cell phone in flight.

Point 1: CDMA is newer than GSM.

Point 2: The technologies have nothing to do with the ability to get
service while in flight. It has to do with the system design. Most
cellular and cellular like system downtilt the antennas to minimize
propagation form interfering in adjacent areas. The result is that not
much RF goes up into the sky. What does is not set up to work within the
system limitations.

Point 3: The FFC only bans cell phone use for those systems covered
under Part 22. Those systems are ones that use the 800MHz band. So
Nextel and the PCS services that use 1900MHz are covered under different
parts of the FCC and rules and are not precluded from use by the FCC.