Super fast assembly and launch...

Old November 15th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Beckman[_2_]

Default Super fast assembly and launch...

At 18:57 15 November 2008, Bruce wrote:

Personally I would put the risk of mis-assembly on this one at way lower

than the glider assembled by a few amiable chaps collected randomly by
the guy with a trailer...

Possibly true, but after the leisurely assembly around
the trailer, the guy whose butt is going to be at risk
checks the work of everybody else.

As an exercise - consider whether there really was no control check. I
can see there was no "normal" positive control check. But I can't see

from the video whether the controls were moved deliberately during
assembly with someone observing a specific sequence of stick movements.
Or maybe there was an agreed quick control movement sequence from the
pilot with observers for each surface.

But that rather avoids the import of the 'P' in the PCC
sequence, doesn't it?

Jim Beckman

Old November 15th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Nov 15, 6:00*am, P Ilatus
wrote:

...absolutely...

...irresponsible...

...total disregard...

...ashamed...

...moronic...

I am so pleased with the restraint you demonstate. The last thing we
need here is an excess of hyperbole.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old November 15th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams[_2_]

There is a break in the constant filming of the glider, the spot where the
winch is shown, and then a return to the glider for launching. We cannot
know how much time passed before the return to the glider; could have been
10 minutes. The sound was added after the film was edited so as to make it
look like constant, uninterrupted flow from start to finish. My guess is
that a PCC was done in that interlude and you have all been fooled by a
cinematographer's trick.

Old November 15th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan Ross

The video's not too clear but it looks like the guy removing the fuselage
lifts the entire weight of the tail by the rudder. Is this normal? I've
never seen anyone at our club lift a glider using the control surfaces.

Jon
Old November 15th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Ward[_1_]

"Jim Beckman" wrote in message
[...]

So, granted that they didn't do a PCC, what minimum time after assembly
should they have waited before launching in order to be safe?

Tim Ward

Old November 15th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 15, 6:00*pm, Nyal Williams wrote:
Funny coincidence; the use of the English word bier in this connection.

Yeah... that's why I wanted to know if it was supposed to be a double-
entendre I also speak French and understand a bit of German, so I
considered the possibility of it being another language. It was just
an interesting irony.

I'd love to go to the Alps, and flying a Nimbus would be a real
treat. Unfortunately, for now, that's to remain a dream for the
future. I fly in southern Ontario, Canada... it's VERY flat here
(okay, not as flat as the Prairies!)... need to go fly the Ridge,
once I learn more and get used to my ship -- and my wife lets me go

Ah, winter dreams of springtime pleasures!
Old November 16th 08, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KevinFinke

So, granted that they didn't do a PCC, what minimum time after assembly
should they have waited before launching in order to be safe?

Tim Ward

Tim,
I'm awfully confused. If one assumes the absence of a PCC, what
purpose would waiting a certain amount of time before launch make it
safer? Waiting a set period of time and not doing anything to the
airplane isn't going to magically fix any potential mechanical
problems? I don't understand.

Bravo to the Safety Primate Bruce. Well spoken arguments on risk,
awareness, and acceptance.

Also, I had to correct Brad and his use of the term Safety Monkey.
We're in the same club and I'm unaware of any members with tails. Thus
the correction to primate.

See you tonight Brad.

-Kevin

Old November 16th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

At 23:49 15 November 2008, Tim Ward wrote:

So, granted that they didn't do a PCC, what minimum time after

assembly should they have waited before launching in order to be safe?

Tim Ward

One hour. Or, is that how long you should stay out of the water after you
eat? I can never keep those two straight, dang it!

Is it no smoking within 8 hours or drinking within 50 feet of the plane?
Dang! This is too hard!

Steve

And, no. It is VERY poor form to lift the tail of the glider out of the
trailer by the rudder. Glasflugel issued ADs on all their models to
replace part of the rudder drive because of damage caused by that practice
(or a ground loop and a broken fuselage). Schempp-Hirth rudder drive is
different, but I am sure that practice is not good for the lower rudder
hinge.
Old November 16th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

Bob,

When, in a different life, I lived in Germany, I asked one of the
Germans who worked with me:

(The following is written in my G.I. German)

"Herr Schultz: Was ist das bestest bier?"

"Das bestest bier is FREI bier!"

Naturlich!

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old pics - new scans - Super Etendard from 17 Flotille about to launch from Foch Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 January 14th 08 12:09 PM
Saturn IB S-IB Stage Thrust Structure Assembly at Michoud Assembly Facility 6974931.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 11th 07 02:45 AM
Saturn IB S-IB Stage Thrust Structure Assembly at Michoud Assembly Facility 6973027.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 11th 07 02:45 AM
Saturn IB S-IB Stage Assembly at Michoud Assembly Facility 6973449.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 11th 07 02:43 AM
Post-assembly or Pre-launch checks AZ T-rex Soaring 0 January 30th 06 12:16 AM