Retesting and filling oxygen tank.

Old May 5th 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

Default Retesting and filling oxygen tank.

On May 5, 10:06*am, bumper wrote:
If the tank is "portable", and you will be having it hydro tested
locally, I suggest NOT using a welding supply place unless they test
on-site. If they throw a bunch of bottles in a truck to send off for
testing, your nice bottle will not come back looking the same.

bumper

Yep, welding supply shops can be tricky.

Once I was on a errand to pick up a refilled (large type) O2 bottle.
While I waited for my turn at the counter, I noticed a truck being
unloaded at the dock. It was loaded with green O2 bottles - none of
which showed the blue "Aviation Oxygen" sticker.

Since I couldn't see any Aviation Oxygen bottles, I told the
counterman I wouldn't be surprised if he couldn't fill my order. "No
problem", he said, "Watch". He opened a drawer, retrieved a sheet of
blue Aviation Oxygen stickers and slapped one on the nearest green
bottle. "Now, he said, "I can sell you an Aviation Oxygen bottle -
that will be $115." "How much would it be without the sticker?"
"$35", he said.

It's surprising how honest people can be at times.
Old May 5th 12, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We use a lot of oxygen in Minden. All the bottles I see are hydrotested by a local fire extinguisher company, which is certified by the DOT. I'm not telling you how to do it, just how we do it here. Fred
Old May 7th 12, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Wasn't it P.T. Barnum who said, "There's a sucker born every minute"?

ABO - Hah! I only had one year of chemistry in college, but I do recall
that an element is an element is an element. Oxygen is oxygen.

Old May 7th 12, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Bill D" wrote in message
On May 5, 10:06 am, bumper wrote:
[...]

.... Oxygen is oxygen.

I was just studying with my 2012 Private Pilot Test Prep book and found a relevant and hopefully interesting passage:

"Aviation oxygen should be used to replenish an aircraft oxygen systems... Oxygen used for medical purposes or welding normally should not be used because it may contain too much water. Specifications for Aviators' breathing oxygen are 99.5% pure oxygen and not more than .005 mg of water per liter of oxygen."
Old May 7th 12, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

"Bill D" wrote in message
On May 5, 10:06 am, bumper wrote:
[...]

That information was true 100 years ago but it's about a century out
of date. Oxygen today is made from a liquid air reduction process
which produces chemically pure oxygen. This is what is supplied to
all users. There's no incentive for the industry to deliberately
produce contaminated oxygen. There is zero water in any compressed
oxygen sold today.

If you dig a bit further, you'll find specifications for welding and
medical oxygen are far tighter than for 'aviation oxygen'.
Old May 7th 12, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Bill D" wrote in message
On May 5, 10:06 am, bumper wrote:
[...]

Well, I guess the source of at least some of the obviously widespread confusion is clear - our training materials are incorrect and/or just out of date and out of touch with technical reality. thanks.
Old May 8th 12, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bill:

In addition to being pure, bottled oxygen made from liquid air is also super dry -- all traces of water are frozen out in the process. So the old problem with oxygen not being dry is no longer an issue.
Old May 8th 12, 04:41 AM
RAS56 RAS56 is offline
Member

More than you'll want to know:

http://www.warmkessel.com/jr/flying/td/jd/13.jsp

Saturn V S-IC-T (static test stage) fuel tank assembly is mated to the liquid oxygen (LOX) tank 6416666.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 12th 07 01:33 AM
Saturn I Liquid-Oxygen (LOX) Tank 6000382.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 10th 07 09:59 PM
oxygen tank Lignan Christian Soaring 10 February 9th 06 10:52 PM
filling Oxygen tanks Bruce McFadden Piloting 40 January 3rd 05 03:25 AM
Filling oxygen tanks Bruce McFadden Owning 49 December 28th 04 11:41 PM