You know you are addicted to soaring when....

Old May 3rd 12, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie

Default You know you are addicted to soaring when....

Grid nav through the arctic with cel to reset the Along and Across
Track Computer (...all gears, cogs and wheels - complete with a
physical Kalman filter)... Who needs GPS? Give me an 80 lb bag of
books and 600 lb of machinery...

Derek
CC-130
CP-140
Old May 3rd 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

Yes Kirk, Pressure Pattern navigation was the way to go on those
trans-Pacific high altitude flights. Then, of course, you could save a lot
of fuel when leaving the West Coast at FL 280 and cruise climbing to FL 490
prior to the long idle decent into NAS Barbers Point, HI.

Wayne
A-3B Skywarrior, A-6A Intruder
http://www.soaridaho.com/Naval_Pictu..._12-Aug-64.jpg
http://www.soaridaho.com/Family_Pict...icers_1969.jpg

"kirk.stant" wrote in message

On Thursday, May 3, 2012 8:40:14 AM UTC-5, Wayne wrote:
POPS, there are a few of us still hanging around. I did a bit of
celestial
navigation back in the day when I was a Bombardier/Navigator flying A-3B
Skywarriors. In fact I spent one tour as a celestial navigation
instructor.

Celestial? Pah - too easy. Now Pressure - That's navigating!

(For you young pups - Pressure is navigation via altimeter...look it up.)

Kirk
T-29s at USAFA and T-43s at Mather...

Old May 3rd 12, 09:45 PM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Er um,...

Pressure Pattern navigation? huh? I probably should not have used the word 'sextant jockeys' ... Jockeys... that must mean av8ters.. I'm a globetrotter water-world style. Funny.

Also, back to that painting.
Not only is the moon incorrectly illuminated, but it's celestial positioning sets this picture in the southern hemisphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Paul View Post

Old May 4th 12, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Derek Mackie

http://tinyurl.com/cs64o3p

--
POPS

Oh POPS, you're so cute! Bobbing in the oggen, maybe bashing through
the waves at 15kts, waiting for the soup to clear long enough to snap
a sun shot...

Give me a periscopic sextant above the clag any day...

:-)

Derek
Old May 4th 12, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

No need to worry about landing out in New Mexico - there's just too much
lift!

Errrr, uhhh... That wasn't a glider I was retrieving as another landed
behind us last Sunday. :-)

wrote in message
On Tuesday, May 1, 2012 11:32:39 PM UTC-4, John wrote:
On a sort of "related" note......have you ever noticed that at the movies
(especially Westerns) you are studying the sky and the clouds?

Shot in New Mexico, the clouds in the background of the TV show "Breaking
Bad" are especially interesting. The show's tempted me to go on a soaring
vacation in NM, though the irrational part of my mind believes that the
state is full of dangerous Meth addicts especially out in the desert where I
might 'land out'.