P-51 Mustang Parts on display

Old January 16th 04, 11:21 PM
Jay Honeck

Default P-51 Mustang Parts on display

Finally got the parts that Vlado Lenoch donated for our new Mustang Suite
mounted on a big ol' oak plank, and hung on the wall.

Check 'em out at http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_mustang_suite.htm (Pix
are at the bottom of the page.)

My personal favorite is the "Circuit Destroyer" that originally contained an
explosive charge, used for destroying the electronics on board if the pilot
thought capture was imminent! (Wouldn't want to hit THAT button by
accident... ;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 17th 04, 07:20 PM
john smith

wow!!! Those really did clean up well!
Old January 18th 04, 05:20 AM
Big John

Jay

FYI

If I remember right the explosive charge was only in the IFF to
destroy it and prevent the design/coding from falling into enemy
hands.

The VHF radio was the SCR-522, a four channel (A,B,C,D) set that used
a 832 tube in the output. Channel 'A' was air to ground (tower).
Channel 'B' was air to air. Channel 'C' was an aux channel (fighter to
bomber ,etc) and 'D' was emergency channel (121.5 Mc). These channels
were crystal controlled and if mission called for other frequencies,
the Mechs had to change the crystals prior to take off.

There was also a little low frequency receiver, 4 inches by 4 inches
by 6 5/8 inches that sat on the floor (retrofit) just in front of the
seat behind the left heel and off set from stick, and made by Detrola.
It was called the 'Detrola' and not by it's Model Number. Was used to
tune in radio ranges (200-400 kc). Had a short antenna and very
limited range.

Just some more errata for your file Jay.

Big John
Pilot ROCAF

Old January 18th 04, 05:48 AM
Don Tuite

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:20:45 -0600, Big John
wrote:

. . .
The VHF radio was the SCR-522, a four channel (A,B,C,D) set that used
a 832 tube in the output. Channel 'A' was air to ground (tower).
Channel 'B' was air to air. Channel 'C' was an aux channel (fighter to
bomber ,etc) and 'D' was emergency channel (121.5 Mc). These channels
were crystal controlled and if mission called for other frequencies,
the Mechs had to change the crystals prior to take off.

The SCR522 (and 524) became the standard for a lot or ham radio
2-meter work in the 1950s.

Don
(NR7X)
Old January 18th 04, 01:39 PM
Jay Honeck

If I remember right the explosive charge was only in the IFF to
destroy it and prevent the design/coding from falling into enemy
hands.

Thanks, Big John.

Can you tell me anything about the design of the circuit destroyer itself?
It's a strange device, with a removable (it unscrews) clear plastic cap,
underneath which sits some sort of an inertial thing-a-ma-bob. It swings in
an arc, suspended like a pendulum, but cannot hang straight down, by design.

I know that doesn't make any sense, but perhaps you'll know what I'm talking
about?

Thanks,
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
"Big John" wrote in message
Jay

FYI

Old January 18th 04, 11:35 PM
Big John

Don

Yep. Had several of them.

Big John
Pilot ROCAF

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 05:48:00 GMT, Don Tuite
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:20:45 -0600, Big John

. . .

Old January 19th 04, 02:26 AM
Big John

Jay

Can't help you there Jay. Never saw the part. Just remember they had a
destruct element in system.

Maybe someone reading the Thread can help with details ?

It's possible one of the individuals who has copied the manuals of
WWII equipment might be able to give some data or if he has the manual
copied you might be able to buy from him?

I'll continue looking but probably won't find any detailed data????

Extracted from the Internet. Not a lot but a little more FYI.

"Pilots, who were not familiar with radar, did not appreciate the
importance of switching on the IFF. Alongside the switch to turn on
the unit was the IFF destruct switch to prevent its capture by the
enemy. Many a pilot chose the wrong switch and blew up his IFF unit.
The thud of a contained explosion and the acrid smell of burning
insulation in the cockpit did not deter many pilots from destroying
IFF units time and time again. Eventually, the self destruct switch
was secured by a thin wire to prevent its accidental use. During World
War II, both metric and centimetric radars proliferated on ships of
the major navies. Search radars were joined by fire control sets and
ultimately, a ship could locate and destroy air or surface targets in
conditions of zero visibility. It therefore became important to be
able to identify the targets, or at least distinguish friend from
enemy."

Big John
Pilot ROCAF

Old January 19th 04, 10:53 PM