A GA pilot's worst nightmare?

Old January 29th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Default A GA pilot's worst nightmare?

Or, every bugsmasher pilot's secret fantasy...

I just saw this little snippet about the Continental flight whose
pilot became incapacitated. This is the first I'd read about a
passenger taking the right seat. I guess TSA/FAA's secured flight deck
rules go out the window in such a situation?

The 757's flaring height must have looked close to pattern altitude to
a 182 pilot... Do you think Stephen Brown could petition the FAA
Commish to allow him to log the time as SIC?

silly mode off

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#194328

Old January 29th 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Kingfish wrote:
Or, every bugsmasher pilot's secret fantasy...

Definitely the secret fantasy category for me, but I definitely don't
want the opportunity to come at the expense of another pilot as in this
case.

Matt
Old January 30th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
news
Kingfish wrote:
Or, every bugsmasher pilot's secret fantasy...

Definitely the secret fantasy category for me, but I definitely don't want
the opportunity to come at the expense of another pilot as in this case.

Matt

Must of had the fish.

DW

Old January 30th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2007-01-29, Kingfish wrote:
The 757's flaring height must have looked close to pattern altitude to
a 182 pilot... Do you think Stephen Brown could petition the FAA
Commish to allow him to log the time as SIC?

I believe that an ATP (such as FO, who was acting as PIC in this
instance) can give instruction in air carrier operations - and
therefore, the FO could sign his log book as dual received.

Old January 30th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

Kingfish wrote:
Or, every bugsmasher pilot's secret fantasy...

Definitely the secret fantasy category for me, but I definitely don't want
the opportunity to come at the expense of another pilot as in this case.

Matt

Just how I feel. I want to land it.

Old January 30th 07, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
I believe that an ATP (such as FO, who was acting as PIC in this
instance) can give instruction in air carrier operations - and
therefore, the FO could sign his log book as dual received.

IIRC, the ATP must be rated in the -757 to be able to sign off instruction.
The -182 wouldn't need a sign-off if he is MEL rated. Logging SIC time is
not the same as acting as SIC.

D.

Old January 30th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow

Kingfish wrote:
Or, every bugsmasher pilot's secret fantasy...

Definitely the secret fantasy category for me, but I definitely don't
want the opportunity to come at the expense of another pilot as in this
case.

Matt

Must of had the fish.

But otherwise he's free to pursuit a life of religious fulfillment.

Old January 30th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

"Kingfish" wrote in news:1170101726.041601.292480
@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Or, every bugsmasher pilot's secret fantasy...

Certainly mine...

Do you think Stephen Brown could petition the FAA
Commish to allow him to log the time as SIC?

Or will the FAA take action against him for operating an aircraft for which
he is not properly rated?
Old January 30th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Judah writes:

Or will the FAA take action against him for operating an aircraft for which
he is not properly rated?

Was he acting as a required copilot, or just following instructions to
provide an extra set of hands for the pilot?

It sounds like he just talked on the radio, read checklists, and
handled the few things that the pilot couldn't readily do himself,
such as setting flaps and lowering gear (awkward from the left seat).

Old January 30th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Judah wrote:
"Kingfish" wrote in
news:1170101726.041601.292480 @h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
Do you think Stephen Brown could petition the FAA
Commish to allow him to log the time as SIC?

Or will the FAA take action against him for operating an aircraft for
which he is not properly rated?

If they did it would hand FAA enemies a load of political ammunition. I
presume though that this is covered by section 91.3(b):

"In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command
may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that
emergency."

The SSA-OLC KM Soaring 65 October 4th 06 02:00 AM
FAA Mandatory Pilot Retirement Rule Challenged Larry Dighera Piloting 0 March 20th 05 08:56 PM
The allure of the skies beckons wannabe pilots. N9NWO Piloting 0 March 8th 05 08:58 PM
Older Pilots and Safety Bob Johnson Soaring 5 May 21st 04 01:08 AM