Selling glider US - Canada

Old July 6th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John C

Default Selling glider US - Canada

What is involved in selling a US experimental cert glider to a Canadian
buyer? Any advice including the best way to accept payment would be
appreciated...

Thanks!

John

Old July 6th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo Rumpf

Advise for the seller
You need an export certificate from the FAA.
which should include the deregistration.
Also a paper from the FAA stating no claim is against that glider.

Old July 6th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo Rumpf

Advise for the seller
You need an export certificate from the FAA.
which should include the deregistration.
Also a paper from the FAA stating no claim is against that glider.

Advise for the buyer
First you must make sure the glider has already been licensed
in Canada, experimental class is not possible, unless you want to
go into the owner maintained class. You would have to make
a case for this as not every glider gets it. All regular gliders
have a regular airworthy certificate.
Request the history of the glider from the FAA (you get a CD
with every thing on it). Make sure the glider documents are up
to date, manuals and all.
You need the sales documents and that you paid the taxes when
you entered Canada with the glider. Keep the trailer separate and
bring it in as a homebuilt trailer, if you can.

I highly recommend you get in touch with a DOT designee first
before you hand over the check. It will save a lot hassle.

Unfortunately I did bring my glider in first and it took 4 month to get the
glider flying. It should only take 4-6 weeks. If all the paper work is ok
and all the AD's are complied with and documented.
Documentation is the key word. Everything has to have a paper trail.
Including radio and instruments. I was overwhelmed by the process.
The DoT designate took charge and took me through it.
$1000.00 were well spent. For that he even set up new, up to date manuals.
I also had help from the Canadian Schleicher dealer, Ulli Werneburg

Regards
Udo

Old July 6th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shawn[_1_]

Udo Rumpf wrote:
Advise for the seller
You need an export certificate from the FAA.
which should include the deregistration.
Also a paper from the FAA stating no claim is against that glider.

My glider was exported to Canada without an export CofA. The new owner
needed an inspection in Canada, but from feedback he gave me, it wasn't
problematic.
I did de-register it with the FAA of course.

Shawn
Old July 6th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan'l

John C wrote:
What is involved in selling a US experimental cert glider to a Canadian
buyer? Any advice including the best way to accept payment would be
appreciated...

Thanks!

John

I've had success sending money back and forth across the border by wire
transfer, from their account to yours (I'm Canadian military serving in
the US - in my case, transfer from my accounts here to my accounts
there). You will need to provide them your bank's "Swift" number,
bank, branch, and account numbers (final 3 are on every cheque; Bank
Swift Code:
"Your bank's Swift Code. The Swift Code is a world-wide numeric address
of your banking institution. This is essential only for international
wire transfers." I think they're 8 digit alphabetic, tho this may only
be in Canada).

They push the button, and the money is transferred. Painless, except
for the $40 charge (varies by bank). Works best from USD to USD
accounts.

With the post 9/11 world, large transfers may bring questions from the
feds, who are only doing their jobs.

It's obvious that sending your banking info over the internet is not a
smart thing to do; arrange it in person at the bank, and they'll handle
the whole thing. My money moved in under a hour.
Dan

Old July 6th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Udo Rumpf

At 22:00 06 July 2006, Dan'L wrote:
John C wrote:
What is involved in selling a US experimental cert
glider to a Canadian
buyer? Any advice including the best way to accept
payment would be
appreciated...

Thanks!

As A buyer I would send you a small down payment (
5-10%) in form of a Canadian Bank Cashiers check.
I would advised you that the same check would be used
for the remaining amount. Once we did meat we exchanged
all the papers as well as the check. If you have still
doubt you can go to a bank near by and have the check
deposited into your account as it is treated like a
cash.
In any case that is how I did it with the US seller
and It worked out very well.
Udo