TE Probe repairable?

Old July 26th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default TE Probe repairable?

I broke my TE probe at the fin socket. (Imagine cussing and dirt kicking)
After a bit more cussing, I managed to fish the broken end out of the fin
socket. (Of course, I did this AFTER assembling the Nimbus.)

The TE probe appears to have been a RU single function type with aluminum
two-hole tip, O-ring end that inserts into the 8mm fin socket and carbon
fiber tube between. The break was at one of the O-ring grooves. The probe
forward of the break is good. It seems possible that a new O-ring plug end
could be epoxied to the carbon tube.

Q's

Should I just buy a new probe?
Is there a source for the aluminum O-ring part to repair the broken probe?
Should I abandon the fin mounting altogether and consider converting to a
less vunerable fuselage probe over the wing?

Bill Daniels

Old July 26th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

if it's an ESA probe I have replacement socket ends in stock.......
simply heat the old one (hot air gun.not direct flame!) and that should
loosen the epoxy glue and then epoxy the new end in it's place
tim
Wings & Wheels
www.wingsandwheels.com

. ..

Old July 26th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

If you're near Minden, NV, I have a machine shop at my hangar and may be
able to fabricate the required part.

Note that this is a "walk-in" service only. It's free, so it's done on a
"when I have the time basis".

bumper

Old July 26th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

Bill Daniels wrote:
[...]

If I'm reading the post correctly, it sounds like the "simple" fix
would be to just have someone locally machine a new adapter.
Basically, cut off the entire o-ring adapter, then have someone turn a
new one. A simple piece of aluminum rod stock, drilled out ot the OD
of your carbon fiber tube on one end and turned to the 8mm ID with
appropriate o-ring grooves on the other end would be a quick job for
any machininist. Most glider clubs seem to have at least a couple "on
staff" :-))

FYI - the length of the fin tube isn't critical as long as it more or
less gets you out of influence of the empennage, so the only important
thing is that you get a good seal between the tube and the adapter and
the adapter and the fin...

FYI #2 - Having done exactly what you did once (extensive and creative
cussing included), I would definitely check to make sure the fin mount
itself wasn't damaged. You can leak test it by plugging the orifice at
the tail and presurizing from the front (not too much or you could pop
the tube right off). I actually split the mounting tube itself (a
simple piece of brass tubing), so I had to rig up a new one. This
involved fishing around in the vertical stab (more cussing and a few
minor flesh wounds) and epoxying in a whole new mounting tube.

P3

Old July 26th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

"Papa3" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bill Daniels wrote:
[...]

P3, Tim Mara at Wings and Wheels has the replacement part in stock along
with instructions for repairing the probe.

I agree that making a replacement aluminum part is a no-brainer if you have
access to a metal lathe. I keep seeing old manual lathes for sale cheap.
Maybe one day I will buy one.

Bill Daniels

Old July 27th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message

I agree that making a replacement aluminum part is a no-brainer if you
have access to a metal lathe. I keep seeing old manual lathes for sale
cheap. Maybe one day I will buy one.

Bill Daniels

Be forewarned!! Buying a lathe is like exposing yourself to a virus. Soon
you'll have a collection of tooling that makes the cost of the lathe pale in
comparison. Then, you'll need a mill - and tooling, a TIG welder and
supplies, and, and . . . Tool acquisition is a sickness . . . I know!

However, I've convinced my wife that tools are off-budget as far as toy
allocations are concerned.

all the best,

bumper

Old July 27th 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons

Bill, I had te same thing happen to my ESA probe last year. Broke
right at one of the o-ring grooves. Upon inspection I could not
believe how thin the tube diameter was beneath the o-ring grooves.
They really need to thicken up the probe end socket wall thickness.

At any rate, since I was not aware Tim had replacement sockets, I cut
off a small section of thin wall brass tube that matched the inner ID
of the socket. I inserted this as an inner sleeve and expoxied this
inner sleeve in place to hold the broken socket together. I had to be
careful not to let the o-ring groove become filled with the epoxy. It
took several tries to get a leak proof joint, but it was not
difficult. As an added bonus in leak checking the repaired socket, I
discovered that both of the carbon tube joints futher (where the tube
reduces in diameter) out were leaking. Note: leak check was with the
usual pump bulb pressurization and soap bubble solution leak test.

End result was a fully functional and much stronger probe.

If I had to do it over again, knowing Tim has replacement sockets
available, I would probably go that route, but I would still insert a
strengthening brass sleeve into the inner diameter. The sleeve wall
thickness is just too thin for robust use.

Bob

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 07:55:02 -0600, "Bill Daniels"

Old July 27th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

If strengthening is what you're after, how about using thin-wall stainless
steel tubing for the reinforcement, rather than brass?

I agree, the no hassle fix is to buy a new one from Tim Mara. However, if
making a completely new end fitting on a lathe, I'd be tempted to make it
out of stainless.

Thin-wall and seamless stainless tubing is, like most other good things in
life, available from McMaster-Carr on-line.

bumper

"Bob Gibbons" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

JPI EGT probe failure typical signs Robert M. Gary Owning 5 March 3rd 06 11:29 PM
CHT probe + resistor installed (final) Jim Burns Owning 8 September 10th 05 02:34 PM
T.E. Probe Question KP Soaring 2 July 27th 05 02:58 PM
Cleaning a 3-way TE probe Jack Glendening Soaring 37 November 5th 03 06:45 PM
Broken line to Oil Temperature Probe, Repairable? rkane33 Owning 2 July 25th 03 03:19 AM