ASW-24 vs ASW-28

Old August 28th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Default ASW-24 vs ASW-28

Appears there are some ASW-28s for sale.
Having only flown the ASW-24 and '27, what are the differences between the
'24 and '28?

Old August 28th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 28, 5:25*pm, "Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:
Appears there are some ASW-28s for sale.
Having only flown the ASW-24 and '27, what are the differences between the
'24 and '28?

Have owned all 3. Hmm- own all 3 now. Ah well. '28 is the follow on to
the '24 with all the good things the
'24 has plus a few improvements. It has about 6 sq ft more wing area
and an airfoil intended to be less sensitive to gusts(some call
"microturbulence). The outboard end of the wing is much better and the
tip drop the original '24 has is gone. It has fully modern winglets
and "hard tanks " instead of bladders. My view- biased- is that it is
fully as good as the LS-8 or D2.
Simply put- it's a better '24- obviously at a more current price due
to age.
I do a lot of "improving" on my gliders and can find little to mess
with on the '28.
There are a few 28-18's but not many.
Hope this was helpful
UH
Old August 28th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Aug 28, 2:25*pm, "Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote:
Appears there are some ASW-28s for sale.
Having only flown the ASW-24 and '27, what are the differences between the
'24 and '28?

28 is slightly longer and a lot more expensive. Never flew a 24 so I
can't compare. I jumped from a 19 to a 28.

Standard 28 panel is smaller than the 24 with deeper cut-outs to allow
more leg room. That limits instrument space. Some were ordered with
the larger 27 panel.

The claim is that the 28 wing works better than the 24 in turbulent
thermals.

The 28 does not seem to be as popular as the D2 and LS-8 but I've
flown against both and don't think I give up anything in climb or
cruise. It does seem to be a bit sensitive to being at the right
speed to climb well.

You should snap up Nigel's before I tell him he set the price too low.

Andy
Old August 29th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 28, 4:44*pm, wrote:

Have owned all 3. Hmm- own all 3 now.

OK, I'm jealous.

Horst

Old August 29th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

wrote:

Have owned all 3. Hmm- own all 3 now.

Why a 24 AND a 28?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"
http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old August 29th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 28, 11:27*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote:
Have owned all 3. Hmm- own all 3 now.

Why a 24 AND a 28?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* * * New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org

'24 is actually a '24E "owner modified" project.
UH
Old August 30th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've flown only the '24 but against quite a few '28s. No discernable
consistent difference in performance so long as the '24 has modern
winglets (see UH about that). '28 has more cockpit room, but my '24
has the factory mods for tall pilots (higher cutouts for the knees,
etc.) so no problem there. I'm cynical about the whole microturbulence
thing: I've always thought it was a marketing ploy to transition '24
owners to the '28, or to explain away the early '24s that didn't
always climb/handle as well. Modern winglets take care of that.
I've kept my outer wing with the early '24 sharp leading edge because
I can climb with anything already and always fretted that the "B
mod." (as the blunter outer leading edge is referred to) might cost
some high-speed performance (only in the U.S. Presidential elections
are we promised something for nothing). Others say not but I'm not
inclined to tinker.

Reasons to buy a '24 over a '28: 1. The '24 has perhaps the most
stable wing of any modern composite sailplane. Sand it if it makes you
feel good but the contours just don't budge (mine is 16 years old and
I run the gage on it every year). I'm told the '28 may be more like
the '27 and '29 (i.e., the contours move around a bit the first few
years) although, since I don't own one, this is just hearsay. 2. Lots
cheaper.

Reasons to buy a '28 over a '24: 1. Newer gel coat, trailer, etc., and
2. hard ballast tanks. But I haven't flown with the factory tank
system so I can't compare it with the rapid dump I get using 1" ID
plumbing all the way through or the ease of filling.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA