Strobe and nav led

Old March 29th 10, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
CGH

Default Strobe and nav led

Project can be downloaded here :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openavionics/

Text in french but schematics could be understood by anybody.
Claude.
Old March 29th 10, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Paula Bold

Hello,

interesting project and good documentation.

Do I understand correctly, that the light of the strobe is mostly
sidewards and almost not forwards/rearwards?

What is your experience with the brightness of the flash?

PB

Old March 29th 10, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
CGH

Yes there are 2 strobes sidewards combined with nav lights. You may put
the strobe forward/reward since it is independant.
For I have only made the electronic circuit I can't really tell about
comparative brightness.
I'll ask Jean-Jacques to answer directly.

Old April 2nd 10, 08:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
CGH

What is your experience with the brightness of the flash?

Jean-Jacques comment :

Quand j'ai fais le premier montage sur un pendulaire les gens ont
comparé avec des avions qui décollaient
à peu près en même temps et là les impression sont complètement différentes
les uns le trouvait plus d'autres moins d'autres disaient que ça
dépendait des angles de vison.
En tout cas il se voient à plus d'un kilomètre on l'a constaté sur les
tours de piste

Depending on observer, some find it brighter than conventional strobe,
other less, depending on angle of vision.
The strobe is visible 1 km away : more thean half a nautical mile.

Old April 9th 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jeff Peterson

Claude,

Thanks for posting this.

I usually search digikey and/or mouser for LEDs, but the Bridgelux LED
used here
is only available at Newark. I had missed it.

I bought a set of BRXA C1202 for my own wing tips, three on each side.

By my cacluation that easily exceeds FAA brightness requirements.

I have other LEDs pointing back.

I like the BRXA for several reasons.
1) it seems designed to operate in 14V systems. I used 0.5 ohm
series
resistor for each LED to limit the current, but actually I think
you could get away with out this.

2) has a rectangular footprint with plenty of heat sink area.

I will post some photos soon.

-Jeff

Whelen Strobe Help [email protected] Home Built 2 March 7th 08 04:55 AM
Strobe Lights Lou Home Built 9 October 26th 05 01:58 AM
FS: ultralight strobe Juan Jimenez Aviation Marketplace 0 October 1st 05 03:32 AM
Anyone use GS-AIR strobe/LED nav lights? [email protected] Home Built 2 August 28th 04 02:54 PM
LED tail strobe Jeff Peterson Home Built 41 May 15th 04 03:13 PM