Ka6e vs Foka4

Old July 11th 03, 08:33 AM
Janos Bauer

Default Ka6e vs Foka4

Is there anyone who has experience with both of these sailplanes? They
seems at the same price range but I don't know what would be the
difference during xc flights. What about the maintenance, handling and
any other issues?
Thanks for your advice!

/Janos

Old July 11th 03, 02:55 PM
John H. Campbell

Is there anyone who has experience with both of these sailplanes?

Yes! USA Sports Class National Champion Dave Stevenson, who has won
contests with both these 1960s ships in just the past few years.

Old July 12th 03, 06:56 AM
Janusz Kesik

I've heard he had bought a Cobra.
Built by the same guys who had tried to screw in a lightbulb (and I wonder why does that ship scored
second in WGC 1970 at Marfa).

Regards,

--
Janusz Kęsik

I believe Dave still has one of each, so he might be good person to
talk to. Perhaps he'd be willing to sell one...

Old July 13th 03, 06:47 AM
Simon Waddell

See George Moffatt's "Winning on the Wind" for a more considered
comparison - no references to lightbulbs

. ..

Old July 15th 03, 05:28 AM

Janos - They are both wonderful sailplanes - it comes down to personal
preference. Performance wise, the Foka is probably 5 to 10 kmh faster
in cruise (which is not significant in overall xc speed), and even
faster above 130. They both climb well in weak conditions with an edge
to the "E" with it's lighter wing loading and "feel" for the air. The
Foka enjoys a steep bank angle. They both have legendary handling
characteristics - Foka has a solid/steady feel with firm ailerons, the
Ka-6E a lighter, more agile feel. I prefer the reclined seating of the
Foka - confortable on long flights but a narrow cockpit (I wear a
bandage on my flying arm to protect from rubbing). Both have excellent
airbrakes for short field landings. I prefer the sliding canopy of the
Foka as it stays attached to the aircraft. The off-center CG tow
release on the "E" can make for an interesting take-off if the wing
runner isn't attentive! My experience on assembly is - take the K6.
The Foka wings are heavier and the main pin (at least on my ship) is
always a problem. Either way, you won't be disappointed.

David

Old July 23rd 03, 12:35 PM
Frank Dobbs

Personally, I fly a Zugvogel IIIa.

This has very similar performance, with the extra L/D of the Foka. It
doesn't drop a wing on takeoff ground run like the K6e. It has loads
of room in the cockpit (I can barely fit into a K6e being 6 foot 2 and
a half inches tall).

Happy non-glass flying!

Frank Dobbs

Old July 25th 03, 03:35 AM
Bob Gibbons

Ships like the K-6e are an excellent first ship for any new pilot.
Just to make sure they do not get the wrong idea from Frank's
comments, I will say that in my 5 years and 600 hrs of flying my K-6e,
I NEVER experienced a wing drop.

Frank may be referring to the right swinging tendency caused by the
left low CG tow hook. This is an entirely different issue from a wing
drop and is easily handled by having the wing runner hold back
appropriately on the left side wing for the first few feet of the
takeoff run.

Bob