Choosing destinations

Old August 26th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob F.[_2_]

Default Choosing destinations

wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
Mike writes:

It depends on what kind of pleasure you're talking about. If I'm with a
member of the opposite sex, I might be looking for a place with a nearby
hotel in case of an 'unintended' break down.

Clearly more information is needed before any complete answer is given.

I was thinking only of flying, so spending time at a hotel would not be
included.

Nobody I know, unless it is to meet some requirement, flies off to some
distant, i.e. more than about 30 miles, airport just to turn around and
come back.

When I, and everyone else I know, goes to another airport there is a
reason for going there, even if it is just because it is a nice place
to have lunch with the wife.
--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

So I guess MX should have asked, "what motivates you to go somewhere in an
airplane?". The answer to that question will usually determine where it is
that you go.

--
Regards, BobF.

Old August 26th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Bob F. wrote:
wrote in message
Mxsmanic wrote:
Mike writes:

[...]

That question makes a lot more sense in the real world, but the answer,
from me anyway, would still be the same thing that motivates me to go
somewhere in a car.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old August 26th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

On Aug 25, 11:51*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
When you fly for pleasure, how do you select your destination for a flight?
How long a flight do you prefer, ideally? *How close do you remain to your
home base (if any)? *And do you prefer to fly alone, or do you like to have
passengers? *In the latter case, whom do you usually bring along?

Also, please indicate whether you own your own aircraft or simply rent one, as
this presumably has an influence on the choices above.

We own. Was a time when I was a new pilot that I'd "look for somewhere
to fly." Nowadays the airplane is not a toy we try to find a use for,
but a useful tool that takes us where we need to go. Pretty much
evenly divided between a) Flying to work sites for my job. b) Flying
to visit family. c) Flying to vacation destinations. Nearly all trips
are between 200 and 600 miles. Occasionally there is a short trip to
the mechanic, or to fill up with inexpensive gas, or to show a visitor
local sights. I like having my pilot wife along whenever possible. Or
anyone who really enjoys flying.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html
Old August 26th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Gene Seibel wrote:
I like having my pilot wife along whenever possible. Or
anyone who really enjoys flying.

Does the cat still fly??

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old August 27th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

nobody writes:

So why post a question about destinations when the destination
is not included?

Because it was an aviation question, not a travel question.
Old August 27th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gene Seibel writes:

... a) Flying to work sites for my job ...

So you fly to a small airfield, and take a courtesy car or something to the
actual job site, or what? I can see where it might be practical if there's a
field very close to the airport and you have ground transportation readily
avialable and the distance involved is substantial (a few hundred miles), but
it seems you'd need a certain amount of luck to have airfields close enough to
arbitrarily located job sites to be able to gain from flying--although the
longer the distance to the job site (or the shorter the ride from the field),
the more practical this would probably be.

I like having my pilot wife along whenever possible. Or
anyone who really enjoys flying.

Having a spouse who is also a pilot would be ideal. It's always unfortunate
when one person has a passion for some activity and the other just goes along
with it to be nice. If you both love to fly, that potential problem goes
away.
Old August 27th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Gene Seibel writes:

... a) Flying to work sites for my job ...

So you fly to a small airfield, and take a courtesy car or something to
the
actual job site, or what?

The wings fold back and I just drive it the

http://www.airport-data.com/images/a...192/192635.jpg

Old August 27th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Aug 25, 10:51*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
When you fly for pleasure, how do you select your destination for a flight?
How long a flight do you prefer, ideally? *How close do you remain to your
home base (if any)? *And do you prefer to fly alone, or do you like to have
passengers? *In the latter case, whom do you usually bring along?

Also, please indicate whether you own your own aircraft or simply rent one, as
this presumably has an influence on the choices above.

Does this questionnaire conclude with an anal exam?

-Robert
Old August 28th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

On Aug 26, 4:54*pm, " JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe wrote:
Gene Seibel wrote:
I like having my pilot wife along whenever possible. Or
anyone who really enjoys flying.

* Does the cat still fly?? *

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Actually that was the last flight with the cat. Since then, she has a
fit anytime I go near her. Seemed so calm during the actual
flight.........
Old August 28th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

On Aug 26, 8:16*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Gene Seibel writes:
... a) Flying to work sites for my job ...

So you fly to a small airfield, and take a courtesy car or something to the
actual job site, or what? *I can see where it might be practical if there's a
field very close to the airport and you have ground transportation readily
avialable and the distance involved is substantial (a few hundred miles), but
it seems you'd need a certain amount of luck to have airfields close enough to
arbitrarily located job sites to be able to gain from flying--although the
longer the distance to the job site (or the shorter the ride from the field),
the more practical this would probably be.

Most of my destinations are medium sized cities. Most airports other
than very small and remote ones will have rental cars available. Often
Enterprise will deliver a rental car to an airport or in some smaller
towns a car dealer will. Browse through the airports on http://www.airnav.com/
and you'll see most have something available. Earlier this year we
flew to Mobile, Alabama, took a $12 taxi ride to the cruise terminal,
and got on a cruise to Cozumel. Can't get much more convenient than
that.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html