Rare Bird found at Katama [1b2] Martha's Vineyard Island, Mass.

Old August 13th 04, 04:45 PM
Doug

Default Rare Bird found at Katama [1b2] Martha's Vineyard Island, Mass.

I see two angles coming on this one.... Damn environmentalists....

1. Non-native species invades local eco-system, creates trouble for local
wildlife.

2. Rare species found now requires protection, close the airfield and 1000
acres of former public land now bird sanctuary.

Old August 14th 04, 02:34 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Doug wrote:

I see two angles coming on this one.... Damn environmentalists....

1. Non-native species invades local eco-system, creates trouble for local
wildlife.

2. Rare species found now requires protection, close the airfield and 1000
acres of former public land now bird sanctuary.

Scratch number two. This is a hawk. This time of year, that bird will move many miles
every day. Hey -- it probably was in Europe last Spring.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old August 14th 04, 03:11 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 8/13/04 11:45 AM, in article ,
"Doug" wrote:

2. Rare species found now requires protection, close the airfield and 1000
acres of former public land now bird sanctuary.

My first thought too.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

Old August 15th 04, 03:10 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Wizard of Draws wrote:

On 8/13/04 11:45 AM, in article ,
"Doug" wrote:

2. Rare species found now requires protection, close the airfield and 1000
acres of former public land now bird sanctuary.

My first thought too.

The problem with that is that it's not particularly rare -- it's just not native to
the Americas. One article I found states "Countries to the immediate east and south
east of Britain, including Belgium, Holland and particularly Denmark, played host to
massive numbers of these enchanting falcons. Migratory movements of red footed
falcons may extend over many weeks." Note the term "massive numbers".

Old August 15th 04, 07:20 AM
C Kingsbury

2. Rare species found now requires protection, close the airfield and 1000
acres of former public land now bird sanctuary.

Actually, most of Katama Airpark is already a wildlife sanctuary- the
original owners (I want to say it's been around since 1928) donated
1000 acres of grassland to Edgartown (the hoity-toity side of the
Vineyard) with the stipulation that they had to keep the airfield
open. Talk about thinking ahead.

-cwk.
Old August 16th 04, 05:00 PM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:10:28 GMT, "G.R. Patterson III"
wrote:

Wizard of Draws wrote:

On 8/13/04 11:45 AM, in article ,
"Doug" wrote:

2. Rare species found now requires protection, close the airfield and 1000
acres of former public land now bird sanctuary.

My first thought too.

The problem with that is that it's not particularly rare -- it's just not native to
the Americas. One article I found states "Countries to the immediate east and south
east of Britain, including Belgium, Holland and particularly Denmark, played host to
massive numbers of these enchanting falcons. Migratory movements of red footed
falcons may extend over many weeks." Note the term "massive numbers".

How about Crows. In the US they used to be (and still are) pests, now
they are protected and there is a hunting season thanks to the
diplomats and Mexico.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com.

Old August 17th 04, 04:18 AM
StellaStar

Roger Halstead sez:
How about Crows. In the US they used to be (and still are) pests, now
they are protected and there is a hunting season thanks to the
diplomats and Mexico.

Looks like not.
"Crows, although not technically "migratory game birds" (like ducks) can be
hunted in similar fashion in some states. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
regulations, 50 CFR Chapter 1 20.1 extends regulations to the hunting of
"migratory game birds, and crows." The Act allows states the rights to
establish hunting seasons on crows, with the exception of Hawaii where the only
species present is the severely endangered Hawaiian Crow..."

http://birds.cornell.edu/crows/crowfaq.htm
Old August 17th 04, 09:20 AM
Roger Halstead

On 17 Aug 2004 03:18:14 GMT, (StellaStar) wrote:

Roger Halstead sez:
How about Crows. In the US they used to be (and still are) pests, now
they are protected and there is a hunting season thanks to the
diplomats and Mexico.

Looks like not.
"Crows, although not technically "migratory game birds" (like ducks) can be
hunted in similar fashion in some states. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
regulations, 50 CFR Chapter 1 20.1 extends regulations to the hunting of
"migratory game birds, and crows." The Act allows states the rights to
establish hunting seasons on crows, with the exception of Hawaii where the only
species present is the severely endangered Hawaiian Crow..."

Ahhh... I thought that's what I said:-))

They used to be considered pests and could be shot any time. Now they
can only be shot during specific hunting seasons (in some states). It
was due to Mexico calling them migratory that we ended up treating
them as migratory.

Crows are migratory in the sense that they may travel a bit south of
their normal summer locations when winter arrives.

http://birds.cornell.edu/crows/crowfaq.htm

I think he is saying the same thing I did. He just happens to have the
dates of the Mexico and US ratifications.

When younger... well... a lot younger, I had two pet crows (different
years). I raised them from very young birds. They do make very good
pets and they are easy to raise, but you need to be careful what you
say. They are a good as a parrot in repeating what they hear. They
must be related to pack rats as they will steal and hide any thing
shiny. We moved one of the lawn chairs and found a whole stash of
change under there. I'd sure like to know where he found that.

Mine made the mistake of landing on the hammock where my mother was
resting. That bird stood on the top of the pillow, stuck his beak in
her hair, wound a bunch up and then pulled which did nothing for her
good humor. Unfortunately she swatted him. Remember that remark about
being careful what you say around them. He uttered several words that
were appropriate for the occasion, but not mixed company. I had a
devil of a time convincing her she didn't really hear what she thought
she had. He also liked to watch what happened when he'd go down the
cloths line pulling off all the cloths pins. Maybe that's where he
learned those words.

One day my dad was out cultivating beans the first time though. His
old dog would walk along side the tractor, back and fourth all day.
When dad stepped on the clutch he found he was actually standing on
the crow who had decided that would make a good perch. He understood
exactly what the crow said. Thankfully the crow's next move put him
in a good humor. That old crow spotted the dog walking along with
that big broad back and rear end. He used him like an aircraft
carrier. Dad said that dog took off and the last he saw of him that
afternoon was running full tilt across the bean field with that crow
on his back, Talons dug in and tail braced. I think that crow was
enjoying himself. The dog wasn't. :-))

Unfortunately my dad was laughing so hard he managed to take out a lot
of beans before stopping.