Fun toy to have

Old August 21st 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

Default Fun toy to have

In article jc3rk.306918$yE1.154432@attbi_s21,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Like that old saying "No one ever got fired for buying IBM equipment", no
one gets fired for buying that microsoft junk.

I've switched over almost entirely to Vista (three laptops, two desktops --
still have three desktops running XP) and like it.

you are a sick sick man.... :-)

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old August 21st 08, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stella Starr

Jay Honeck wrote:
I never heard of any kids being hurt in this
lead-paint situation -- did you?

http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/p....06GovLead.htm

"Across the country approximately 310,000 children younger than
six-years-old are poisoned by lead each year..."

http://www.idph.state.il.us/public/p....06GovLead.htm

Last year's record low, according to New York State Health Department,
was only 1,970 kids poisoned by lead.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/o...120.xml&coll=7

Boy who swallowed metal trinket from a gumball machine still has
elevated levels of lead in his body and some short-term memory loss.

http://wcco.com/local/lead.testing.mall.2.362515.html

"4-year-old Jarnell Graham died when he swallowed a little charm from an
inexpensive bracelet..."

Old August 21st 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I've switched over almost entirely to Vista (three laptops, two
desktops --
still have three desktops running XP) and like it.

you are a sick sick man.... :-)

It's fast, it's intuitive, it's easy, and it's cheap, relatively speaking.

Actually, the only gripe I've had with Vista is getting XP machines to
work/print on a Vista network, which has been stupidly hard. The OS itself
has been utterly bulletproof.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 21st 08, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I never heard of any kids being hurt in this
lead-paint situation -- did you?

A bunch of unrelated stuff snipped

I find nothing relevant here, Stella, unless you'd like to discuss some
unrelated lead-paint-scare press releases from (among others) the most
corrupt politician in Illinois history, with the possible exception of King
Daley?

Let's start again: I was asking about the specific example of the recalled
Chinese toys that were painted with lead paint. Did anyone hear anything
about anyone being injured by this event? I can find nothing about any
injuries in the media.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 21st 08, 08:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

Jay Honeck wrote:

Let's start again: I was asking about the specific example of the
recalled Chinese toys that were painted with lead paint. Did anyone
hear anything about anyone being injured by this event?

Luckily, no. So, luckily, the governement acted timely. However, there
have been intoxinations caused by long time exposure to lead in the
past. The best known example is probably the antique Rome. No need to
repeat every mistake.

For more information about the toxity of lead:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead#Health_effects
Old August 21st 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

Jay Honeck wrote:

I've switched over almost entirely to Vista [...] and like it.

Just as you like to drive a Cessna spam can, too, because you haven't
flown a real airplane yet. (Such as a Yak 52, Extra 300, Cap 232, Pitts
or the like.)
Old August 21st 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-08-21, John Smith wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
I've switched over almost entirely to Vista [...] and like it.

Just as you like to drive a Cessna spam can, too, because you haven't
flown a real airplane yet. (Such as a Yak 52, Extra 300, Cap 232, Pitts
or the like.)

Actually, he's got two airplanes, a Piper Pathfinder and an Ercoupe.

I wouldn't mind flying the "real airplanes" you list, but I've got no
interest at all in aerobatics: I get motion sickness with any significant
positive or negative G.

There's more to real aviation than aerobatics.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old August 21st 08, 12:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John Smith

Jay Maynard wrote:

I wouldn't mind flying the "real airplanes" you list, but I've got no
interest at all in aerobatics:

Actually, aerobatics planes are a delight to fly even if you prefer
straight and level. I usually rent a Cap10 to make simple trips, just
because it is so much more fun to fly a responsive plane. Not sure it
would make a good IFR platform, though.
Old August 21st 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Jay Maynard wrote:
I've switched over almost entirely to Vista [...] and like it.

Just as you like to drive a Cessna spam can, too, because you haven't
flown a real airplane yet. (Such as a Yak 52, Extra 300, Cap 232, Pitts
or the like.)

Actually, he's got two airplanes, a Piper Pathfinder and an Ercoupe.

I wouldn't mind flying the "real airplanes" you list, but I've got no
interest at all in aerobatics: I get motion sickness with any significant
positive or negative G.

There's more to real aviation than aerobatics.

I was with an instructor once who wanted to show me "how to turn around really
quickly". His maneuver was a skidded turn.

Anybody can jerk an airplane around the sky with the thought of inducing G. I
think it takes more skill to fly smoothly. My remarks are aimed at the duffers
among us (the yank and bank crowd); not the folks who actually practice
aerobatics to perfect their maneuvers.

Ask a passenger who the best pilot is and they'll say it was the one who made
the best landing... even if it ended up at the local USAF base instead of the
adjacent civilian airport. At least they'll say that until they realize they're
in the wrong place. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old August 21st 08, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ol7rk.252117$TT4.151102@attbi_s22,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

The OS itself has been utterly bulletproof.

Not any more!
Last week it was made public that someone has figured out a way to
remotely disable all of VISTA machine's security features over the web.