Reliability and Clubs...

Old August 23rd 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom Conner

Default Reliability and Clubs...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

As for buying, I can heartily recommend it. Knowing who
flew the plane last, and having everything in the plane
PRECISELY the way you left it (and always leave it) is worth
all the headaches, IMHO.

It helps if you can write some of the expense off on taxes as a business
expense. How many of your trips do you claim as business, and how many are
just personal?

Old August 23rd 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The issues are with three different airplanes

Mic issues and Engine cough 172 #1
Bad crack on cowl 172 #2
Dead Alternator Dakota.

The Club has owners that leaseback to the club.
The owners are responsible for getting the maintance done.

(In all fairness the dakota owner seems to stay on top of things and the only reason
I ever fly the 172's is when the dakota is not availible.)

As it is one of the nicer aircraft in the fleet It is also often booked weeks in advance.

I'm the the process of getting checked out in a new G1000 182 at an FBO on the field,
the price is a bit steep at $185.00/hr, but the part that really hurts is
the 2.5 hr cross country minimum.

Paul (Same as the paul that started this thread, just a differnt computer)

Old August 23rd 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:19:03 +0000, Dave S wrote:

The owners were responsible for
having/paying the maintenance performed at a mechanic of the owners
choosing, but the club specified the minimum requirements (which were
essentially the same as if it was in for-profit use - 100 hr inspections
and such).

One of the many things I like about the club to which I belong is that the
owner of the aircraft is the club...in other words, the members. So
there's no "owner" making choices; just the members.

That avoids any motivational conflict.

[It also makes for an excellent training ground for ownership.]

- Andrew
Paramus Flying Club
http://flyingclub.org/

Old August 23rd 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 07:50:34 -0700, Jay Honeck wrote:

fly the pants off of it at an
affordable rate.

My understanding is that ownership works better, financially, if you "fly
the pants off" the plane. If you don't fly enough, then
renting/partnering/clubing will be *financially* better.

- Andrew

Old August 23rd 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

fly the pants off of it at an
affordable rate.

My understanding is that ownership works better, financially, if you "fly
the pants off" the plane. If you don't fly enough, then
renting/partnering/clubing will be *financially* better.

True. But for me, the fact that Atlas is sitting in my hangar, fully
fueled and ready to go at a moment's notice, is absolutely
irresistable. I find it amazing to see how few privately owned
aircraft fly regularly -- those owners apparently have more will power
than I do!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 24th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Jay Honeck wrote:
fly the pants off of it at an
affordable rate.

My understanding is that ownership works better, financially, if you "fly
the pants off" the plane. If you don't fly enough, then
renting/partnering/clubing will be *financially* better.

True. But for me, the fact that Atlas is sitting in my hangar, fully
fueled and ready to go at a moment's notice, is absolutely
irresistable. I find it amazing to see how few privately owned
aircraft fly regularly -- those owners apparently have more will power
than I do!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

You have a few advantages some folks don't have.
1. You work very near the airport where you keep your plane (some of us
have to drive over an hour to get to ours)
2. You are self-employed and I assume you can "flex" your hours at times
to match good weather.
3. You are in a two pilot family so there isn't any "You're going flying
again!?!?! You really need to clean the basement".

Margy
Old August 25th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Andrew Gideon wrote:

One of the many things I like about the club to which I belong is that the
owner of the aircraft is the club...in other words, the members. So
there's no "owner" making choices; just the members.

That avoids any motivational conflict.

[It also makes for an excellent training ground for ownership.]

- Andrew
Paramus Flying Club
http://flyingclub.org/

Good points.. The club I was in was 100% leaseback. BUT.. the way things
worked.. planes with chronic squawks or issues didn't rent much compared
to others in the fleet. If the plane wasn't well kept, wasn't reliable
(even with minor stuff) then the consumer didn't rent it (club members).

After two months of not renting enough to even generate enough revenue
to cover its insurance premium, the board would usually "ask" the owner
to remove his plane, lower the rental rate, or address the concerns.
More than one plane/owner was fired in this manner.

Dave