Things to remember in very hot weather

Old June 29th 08, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Benjamin Dover

Default Things to remember in very hot weather

Bertie the Bunyip wrote in
:

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

muff528 writes:

If it's still too hot at 3000 feet just go higher till you cool off!
You're in an airplane!

In this case, the service ceiling of the aircraft would make it
difficult to cool off by climbing.

No, it wouldn't, moron.

Bertie

Mixi's airplanes all have a service ceiling of about 4.5' AGL, the height
of his computer on his table.

Old June 29th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Mike" wrote in news:i2R9k.122$K%2.0@trnddc02:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
muff528 writes:

I doubt it would be uncomfortably hot at 3-4000 feet if it's 43° C
on the ground. Maybe you're flying too close to the ground.

The difference would only be a few degrees at 4000 feet, and that's
not enough
when the temperature at the surface is 43° C. Additionally, the
temperature
inside the aircraft would be higher at all times.

I was flying just yesterday and the temp was around 38° C nominal and
easily 3-4° C hotter on the ramp. Once you get the big fan blowing in
the front and open the windows, it's certainly tolerable. We were
flying locally at about 4000 MSL and with the photo window open
providing extra ventilation, it was quite nice.

Right now at KTUS it's about 38° C on the ground, 25° C @ 6000 MSL,
17° C @ 9000 MSL.

Even normally aspirated piston aircraft can generally get to 9000 MSL
even on hot days. Turbocharged aircraft can generally get to at least
twice that. Even above TUS today during the hottest part of the day
if you're above 12000 MSL you're probably going to be running the
heater.

And yes, even on a 43° C it's a helluva lot more fun flying a real
aircraft than flying a computer in a climate controlled room.

Climate controlled? He lives by begging. You really think he has AC?

Bertie
Old June 29th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

.. .

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
muff528 writes:

[...]

There's always the library.

Old June 29th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
muff528 writes:

[...]

He prolly gets tossed in the Seine fairly regularly for correcting the
local's french..

Bertie

Old June 29th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Mike writes:

The "real thing" doesn't necessarily require a compressor.

So how does it work?
Old June 29th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

muff528 writes:

I would extend that thought to include *any* plane :-)

High-performance aircraft that can fly well above mountain ranges shouldn't be
a problem.
Old June 29th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Mike writes:

Even normally aspirated piston aircraft can generally get to 9000 MSL even
on hot days.

True, but then you have to start thinking about oxygen.

And yes, even on a 43° C it's a helluva lot more fun flying a real aircraft
than flying a computer in a climate controlled room.

That is a matter of opinion. Nothing is fun at 43° C.
Old June 29th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Mike writes:

Even normally aspirated piston aircraft can generally get to 9000 MSL
even on hot days.

True, but then you have to start thinking about oxygen.

And yes, even on a 43° C it's a helluva lot more fun flying a real
aircraft than flying a computer in a climate controlled room.

That is a matter of opinion. Nothing is fun at 43° C.

Nothing is fun in your life, period.

Bertie
Old June 29th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student Mxsmanic wrote:
muff528 writes:

If that's as high as your airplane will go you probably should get another
airplane. At least don't fly around out west where the hills are higher than
that. Sometimes even the ground is higher than that! :-)

I try to avoid the mountains when flying a small plane. There are some
extensive flat areas in the American west, but it is true that sometimes to
get between two points it's hard to avoid the mountains, short of crossing
half the continent to go around them. Even if the aircraft has the requisite
ceiling, carrying oxygen for everyone is awkward and will not inspire
confidence in passengers.

You don't legally need oxygen for the passengers until 15,000ft, and even
the "it's a good idea even though it's not required" range probably isn't
until 10,000ft or so. If you start out at sea level, those will get you
into nice cool air.

At the risk of turning this thread into something useful, does anyone have
any recommendations as to when it's a good idea to give oxygen to
passengers? I'm not talking about the legal requirements, but just when
it's the smart thing to do. For example, as the pilot I like to start my
oxygen at about 10,000ft even though it's not required until quite a bit
higher. But then again, it doesn't really matter too much if my passengers
have mildly impaired judgement during the flight, even though I'd really
want to avoid that myself.

This is really an academic question since I don't plan to take anybody
that high to begin with, but I'm curious.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old June 29th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article , Michael Ash
wrote:

At the risk of turning this thread into something useful, does anyone have
any recommendations as to when it's a good idea to give oxygen to
passengers? I'm not talking about the legal requirements, but just when
it's the smart thing to do. For example, as the pilot I like to start my
oxygen at about 10,000ft even though it's not required until quite a bit
higher. But then again, it doesn't really matter too much if my passengers
have mildly impaired judgement during the flight, even though I'd really
want to avoid that myself.

Those oximeter things are pretty inexpensive now. You could use one of those
to monitor your own status as well as your pax's need for supplemental oxygen.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Deadlines to remember Gilan Home Built 5 July 5th 06 09:28 PM
Remember to tip your ... pilot? Brien K. Meehan Piloting 10 February 4th 06 03:25 PM
Remember when? Billposter Naval Aviation 21 August 22nd 05 09:22 PM
Tasha. Anyone remember her? Mike Anselmo Naval Aviation 2 February 15th 04 03:28 PM
And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts... Roy Piloting 4 July 12th 03 04:03 PM