GPS loss of signal explanation

Old August 7th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default GPS loss of signal explanation

mbremer216 wrote:
I have a full Narco stack in my Cherokee

My deepest sympathies.

-robert

Old August 7th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Casey Wilson[_1_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

mbremer216 wrote:
I have a full Narco stack in my Cherokee

My deepest sympathies.

-robert

LOL! For the Narcos or the Cherokee -- or both...
That was cruel, I'll take it back. Hehehehe....

Old August 8th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I don't know why...I've never had a lick of trouble out of any of it.

Atlas has two Narco coms, a Narco DME, and two Narco GS/VORs. All work
perfectly, all the time.

I've not quite figured out where the anti-Narco sentiment come from,
but it's almost as insidious as the anti-Microsoft attitudes out there.

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 8th 06, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Jay Honeck wrote:
I don't know why...I've never had a lick of trouble out of any of it.

Atlas has two Narco coms, a Narco DME, and two Narco GS/VORs. All work
perfectly, all the time.

I've not quite figured out where the anti-Narco sentiment come from,
but it's almost as insidious as the anti-Microsoft attitudes out there.

They probably are good radios. The bad rap against them came because
they were the first to introduce the concept of "non-field serviceable
units". They took away the right for avionics shops to work on them,
requiring they all be returned to the factory (at a price they set).
However, today we have Garmin doing the same. Compare that to a King
radio where any just-out-of-school avionics guy can do a field strip in
an hour.

-Robert

Old August 8th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Morgans[_3_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

I've not quite figured out where the anti-Narco sentiment come from,
but it's almost as insidious as the anti-Microsoft attitudes out there.

Perhaps 'cause they are just old, without the new bells and whistles?
--
Jim in NC
Old August 8th 06, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Ray Andraka

Jay Honeck wrote:

I don't know why...I've never had a lick of trouble out of any of it.

Atlas has two Narco coms, a Narco DME, and two Narco GS/VORs. All work
perfectly, all the time.

I've not quite figured out where the anti-Narco sentiment come from,
but it's almost as insidious as the anti-Microsoft attitudes out there.

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Jay,

It came from avionics shops that got pretty ****ed at Narco when Narco
decided to pull all service into the factory. Narco's reasons for doing
it are understandable, and I think make sense, but the avionics shops
have never forgiven them for taking away a good chunk of their repair
business.
Old August 8th 06, 10:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 00:00:46 -0400, Ray Andraka
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

Jay, I can give you an indication why they have their reputation!

An aircraft owner had Narco in his aircraft and said they were 'now'
ok so we took his advice, but...

Purchased 2x MK12D+, CPM136, IDME891 approx 3 years ago.

The IDME891 (ILS/DME) does not work properly at very low frequencies
(around 108.1MHz) the ILS is ok but the DME doesn't always work. The
first flight showed a problem but since it was subsequently not used
at these frequencies for some time the fault was not discovered for a
considerable time.

Both MK12D+ NAV/COM had Transmitter audio failures. Apparently it is a
known diode failure problem. Now I know what happens when you have a
COM failure when overflying a military airfield :-(

The latest is a severe dimming of the NAV display and the first digit
has failed completely.

The CPM136 AF panel produced smoke when COM 2 button pressed.

The IDME891 saved us panel space and should be ideal but the
intermittent DME reading problem has still to be solved.

David
Old August 8th 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_1_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

I've not quite figured out where the anti-Narco sentiment come from,
but it's almost as insidious as the anti-Microsoft attitudes out there.

I've had several $300 Narco auto-dimming EL displays fail. According to
some very reputable local avionics businesses, Narco isn't easy to deal
with.
Old August 8th 06, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Jay, I can give you an indication why they have their reputation!

An aircraft owner had Narco in his aircraft and said they were 'now'
ok so we took his advice, but...

Awful tale of woe snipped

Okay, I'd be plenty ****ed, if that were my plane. I just haven't had
any of those problems, thankfully!