Best Clock?

Old February 23rd 04, 10:32 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Best Clock?

The old wind-up clock in my Pathfinder has become sporadic at best. When it
was below zero here, it didn't work at all.

Any recommendations on a replacement?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 23rd 04, 10:50 PM
Jim

If you've got a wind up clock, KEEP IT, unless you absolutely HATE winding
it!! Find a shop that has experience removeing them and cleaning them. I
know several people that have just had to have them cleaned and they work
great.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old February 24th 04, 02:43 AM
Blanche Cohen

If you don't want to keep your windup, I'll take it!

Old February 24th 04, 05:41 PM
Michael 182

I "replaced" the clock when I put in a Garmin GTX 327 transponder.
Transponder has timer finctions built in. Just a thought if replacing the
transponder is on your to do list.

Michael

Old February 25th 04, 12:18 AM
Jay Honeck

I "replaced" the clock when I put in a Garmin GTX 327 transponder.
Transponder has timer finctions built in. Just a thought if replacing the
transponder is on your to do list.

Yeah, I just got the Garmin GTX 327, and we use the timer functions all the
time. It's a great unit.

Too bad they didn't include a regular clock as part of the display. How
hard would it have been?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 24th 04, 11:56 PM
David R.

I have a davtron m811. The counter function works fine. The time of day
function falls behind several minutes each month, and I have to hold a
little button in for long periods of time to correct it. It's a pain, and I
wouldn't replace it with another davtron m811.

Old February 25th 04, 01:52 AM
Ray Andraka

I have a mechanical clock that runs off the battery. Not sure if it is original
piper or not, but the darned thing is accurate and reliable (it is about the
only instrument I haven't had worked on in the 9 years I've owned). I noticed
the other day that it was off by exactly an hour down to the second. I haven't
touched it since before daylight savings ended.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The old wind-up clock in my Pathfinder has become sporadic at best. When

it
was below zero here, it didn't work at all.

Any recommendations on a replacement?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old February 25th 04, 04:09 AM
REMOVE TO REPLY.pdb

Jay Honeck wrote:
The old wind-up clock in my Pathfinder has become

sporadic at best. When it
was below zero here, it didn't work at all.

Any recommendations on a replacement?

Get it cleaned. My Swiss Wittnauer just stopped working last
week. Its a classic, top quality windup that has been in my
C-170 for 50? years. I thought about replacing it with one
of the more accurate, cheaper, more reliable, less
susceptible to heat and cold but otherwise tasteless
electronic varieties...I just couldn't do it.

I removed it and took it to my local (somewhat crusty) local
Czech watchmaker who immediately berated me since it hadn't
been cleaned since 1983. I got the lecture about how even
top quality watch oils will evaporate over time and gum
things up.

When I went to pick it up, he hesitated giving it to me
after I had paid for it. More lecture...did I know how bad
heat and cold were on such a precision instrument, etc, etc.
He wanted me to promise to remove it if I wasn't going to
be flying for more than a week. I said I'd see what I could do.

In any case, it sure looks better than some cheesy
electronic thing even if it has its drawbacks. If it works
for another 20 years before needing another cleaning, I will
be happy.

Pete
Anchorage

--

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Old February 25th 04, 02:22 PM
Viperdoc

The clock in my Baron yoke is old, scratched, and otherwise doesn't match
the new interior. The only one available that might fit is a Davtron, which
is not approved by STC.

Therefore, it sounds like I need a 337 and a field approval to install this
clock. Has anyone had a similar experience? It seems like a lot of hassle
for just a clock, although it is a permanent installation, etc.

Any suggestions?