Noise issues with Oudie 2 in a couple different aircraft

Old July 24th 14, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default Noise issues with Oudie 2 in a couple different aircraft

On Monday, July 21, 2014 11:36:41 AM UTC-7, Doug Mueller wrote:
At 12:19 21 July 2014, jherzog wrote:

I have an Oudie 2 coupled to 12V power and exchanging data

with an LxNav

Nano using the cable kit that comes with the Oudie. I

experienced

significant radio noise -- usually enough to break the squelch. I

saw a

prior posting by John DeRosa, who recommended this

inexpensive yet

overpriced ferrite choke core from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?

productId=2103222

I installed it around the Oudie power/data cable, about 1/2 inch

from

the Oudie-side of the cable -- I have had no radio issues since.

--

jherzog

Thank you to all for replying. I will try this solution first and report

back. Doug

Doug,

What brand of radio?

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 24th 14, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 5:49:00 PM UTC-6, 6PK wrote:
On Sunday, July 20, 2014 5:29:59 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:

On Friday, July 18, 2014 9:19:00 PM UTC-7, Doug Mueller wrote:

Is anybody else having noise issues when the Oudie is hard wired

to ships power. I know two aircraft that have the squelch turned on

to try to drown out the noise on the radio. I believe it is from the

Oudie while it is being charged. I recently added the Oudie to the

aircraft and now the radio will not cancel out after receiving a

transmission. I have tried wrapping the wiring of the oudie and the

gps cables to try andshield them but it isnt helping. After I turn off

the Oudie the radio returns to normal. Thanks, Doug

Not an Oudie but the closely related Avier. I had used this last year without issue, just reinstalled it and now the radio breaks squelch with it on. After some tracing I have discovered it is the unit itself, radiating modulated RF, mostly down its data/power cable. Disconnecting the cable at the PDA end solves most of the problem. Disconnecting at the vario end sometimes solves it. Just touching a screwdriver (as an example) to the shield of the Avier mini-usb plug causes it with no other cable plugged in. Seems to be related to the LDC screen driver, as it is dependent to a large extent on what is being displayed on the screen. Switching the (switching) power supply to it on and off makes no difference. I was able to mitigate most of it by careful reroute of the data/power cable keeping it away from the radio and close to other conducting material. But it is a bit black magic. I didn't have a ferrite to try and will try that next opportunity.

Ditto. Same issue with the Avier/Vertica2. I did try the ferrite beads as well and it did nothing. Sent in my antique Dittel radio to Nick in Florida who charged me $175 and sent it back with a clean bill of health, could not find anything wrong with the radio. I was going to mess with the internal squelch than but when plugged all in; it all worked!

Talking about magic?!

6PK

I also had occasional radio noise issues. When I unplugged the Vertica 2, the radio noise interference stopped. I then plugged the V2 back in, moved the 12V power converter over to the far side of the panel and all the noise issues stopped. With the V2 again plugged in, I moved the power converter again close to the radio, the noise interference started.
Now I have the 12V power converter moved to its new location....no noise interference on the radio.
I did try the Ferrite couples from Radio shack and they didn't help.

Best, #711.
Old July 24th 14, 08:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Adding 2 Czech Korun:
Cheap switching power supplies work best in the "circular file".
Proximity and relative angle always play a part. Wires at right angles to each other tend to induce less. Parallel and close wires are a recipe for induction.
Another common wiring error is to use wires that are too long and keep the excess coiled up. If you must coil excess wire use a "figure eight" pattern.. Better yet, shorten the wire.
The use of a "star point ground" as mentioned earlier is very good, but the length of the wires that are not common (from the star point to the instruments) is best if short. The ground potential between instruments is then less.
Metal instrument panels will provide another ground reference to some instruments, and poor wiring elsewhere might give you entertainment you weren't looking for. For example old Cambridge CVA audio modules (I seem to remember suffix of 10) were a problem in metal panels. Using the push to talk indicated lift. Dave Ellis described that fix (cut a trace on the circuit board) decades ago.
Many but not all aircraft radios have balanced microphone inputs. Essentially, the microphone has a positive, a negative and a ground connection. The radio cancels out the noise induced on the + and - wires, so connecting all three wires from the microphone to the radio helps keep noise down in the microphone circuit.
Jim
Old July 25th 14, 06:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Mueller

Richard it is a Dittel. The problem only started when installing
the Oudie 2 to the ships power. Doug

Old July 25th 14, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

wrote:

[...]

I believe it has an auto squelch

Depending on the age of the transceiver it has a squelch threshold pot (it is very sensitive) either internally or for later models in the setup software that has to be adjusted upwards.

The Becker is similar for the Becker you need to look at the installation manual for instructions. Not the operating manual.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 25th 14, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

I have found it useful to turn off the automatic squelch, then turn on all your equipment, one at a time. The squelch background noise will rise with any offending unit. The Cambridge model-20 and ILEC SN-10 both add significant background noise, so do some of the power supplies for additional units.. Remember the radio is doing exactly what it was designed to do, It thinks a weak signal is bing received and sends that 'weak signal' to the speaker. I have found that moving offending equipment away from the radio and its antenna have solved the problem. Have patience, you'll need it!
JJ

Oudie Issues vontresc Soaring 4 July 16th 14 04:44 AM
Why bother about light aircraft noise. [email protected] Piloting 36 July 13th 05 09:52 PM
Newer aircraft mx issues SAC Owning 4 July 6th 05 05:59 PM
Couple of Plugs: Stan Shannon and Wicks Aircraft Larry Smith Home Built 8 November 8th 03 01:22 AM
ISO back issues Combat Aircraft magazine mark e digby Military Aviation 0 August 12th 03 05:39 PM