Ox Cylinder ASW27

Old January 22nd 19, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

Default Ox Cylinder ASW27

Can someone tell me what is the largest Oxygen cylinder that will fit in an ASW27?

Thanks for the help...

Old January 22nd 19, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Monday, January 21, 2019 at 6:09:16 PM UTC-6, Gary Wayland wrote:
Can someone tell me what is the largest Oxygen cylinder that will fit in an ASW27?

Thanks for the help...

I think I know what U.S. available bottle fits if it is the same as an ASG-29

Scott
Old January 22nd 19, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Monday, January 21, 2019 at 4:09:16 PM UTC-8, Gary Wayland wrote:
Can someone tell me what is the largest Oxygen cylinder that will fit in an ASW27?

Thanks for the help...

contact Rex at Williams Soaring in Williams, CA. He has some that barely fit
Old January 22nd 19, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S9

On Monday, January 21, 2019 at 7:01:48 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Monday, January 21, 2019 at 4:09:16 PM UTC-8, Gary Wayland wrote:
Can someone tell me what is the largest Oxygen cylinder that will fit in an ASW27?

Thanks for the help...

contact Rex at Williams Soaring in Williams, CA. He has some that barely fit

Just today I fitted the following oxygen bottle in my ASG-29... The glider has a mounting set up for 108mm max diameter. This bottle is a little smaller about 101mm - but be sure to verify any bottle you obtain... Luxfer M15A-5
Old January 22nd 19, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Monday, January 21, 2019 at 7:09:16 PM UTC-5, Gary Wayland wrote:
Can someone tell me what is the largest Oxygen cylinder that will fit in an ASW27?

Thanks for the help...

Thanks, Gentlemen for the information.

I hate to call Paul Remde and others since they have so many gliders they have to remember and with different sizes. I never owned a tank being on the East Coast.

And, I'm not going to use it for OX, but for another application. I'm doing a 3D printing first so this why I need the Max diameter.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Gary

Old January 22nd 19, 05:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Gary,

I assume by largest you mean diameter, not length. I am also assuming that you want to find/buy an O2 bottle to fit an ASW-27. You know what they say about assuming.

After I bought my ASW-27 I had to do some major league searching to find a bottle that would fit my ship. Took more than a year to find one. Luckily a friend that owns an ASW-24 lent me his bottle for a western trip. Thanks, Geoff.

Bottom line is that the critical dimension is the diameter (no duh) which, to me, is rather difficult to measure accurately unless you have a particularly large caliper hanging around. Accurate measuring is especially dicey when you are asking a seller of unknown resources/capabilities to measure their bottle.

So, using my friend's bottle, I came up with the following CIRCUMFERENCE which is much easier to measure accurately. This I could then give to prospective bottle providers for them to measure what they have in stock before purchasing.

Here is what I came up with;

Circumference = 13-5/32" = 13.15625" = 334.2mm
QED Diameter = 4-3/16" = 4.1875 = 106.4mm

So, how to have someone else easily accurately measure circumference? A carpenter's steel measuring tape will NOT wrap around a cylinder. A tailor's cloth tape is great but is much less likely have be available. The easiest way I found is to have the seller wrap a (long narrow) piece of paper around the bottle, mark where the edges meet, lay the paper out flat on a table, and then accurately measure between the marks with a simple flat ruler (preferably in metric as +/- 1mm is ok but counting 16ths of a inch is more prone to error - ask me how I know).

Be prepared to suffer multiple disappointments in your search.

My overblown $0.02,
John OHM Ω

Or post to http://glidersource.com which is where I ultimately found my bottle.

Old January 22nd 19, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

[...]

Thanks, John

This is what I'm looking for. Yes, I need diameter. I will extend or shrink the bottle per the fit inside the 27.

I want to print a 3D model of it and I have the largest bottle possible. This will give me what I need to start.

I appreciate your efforts.

Gary

Thanks

Old January 22nd 19, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

[...]

Hi John,

the suggested paper-strip method is a very good fix to get the dimension one is looking for quickly and probably with sufficient accuracy. If more precision is needed, a π-tape comes in handy:
https://www.newmantools.com/pi.htm
Comes in metric and for I.D. and O.D. measurements. Not sure how much they charge for one, though. Good to have a buddy in the metrology lab .... ;-)

Uli
'AS'
Old January 22nd 19, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Wayland

On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 12:54:08 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

My ASW27 is 27-148

Once I get the 3D printed bottle completed, I will reveal what the actual dimensions are for future owners, i.e perfect fit or room to grow... At least we will know the largest you are going to get in the hole...