5000 meter height gain

Old August 26th 04, 07:36 PM
Hal

Default 5000 meter height gain

How do most pilots go about the 5000 meter height gain in the Sierras?
Somehow getting in a glider on a cold/windy Minden winter day does
not sound like me. During the summer I stumbled across a wave
condition behind Mt Rose but I was not sure about how the O2 system
worked and where/whether the wave window was open so I stopped short
of 18k If I was ready this would have been a perfect opportunity.
Seems difficult to know when these conditions will exist.

Another question is if you use the M&H O2 and you are staying below
24k do you use the cannula or the face mask? I think I know the legal
answer but it seems that the cannula is actually the preferred option.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old August 26th 04, 08:57 PM
Gary Boggs

We can get our 5000 meter gain here in Oregon without ever going above 18K,
come on up. We also have a window if you want to go higher. See this
month's Soaring magazine for my story about our wave.

And about the M&H system, I use the cannula but you have to be very careful
that you don't take any breaths through you mouth. I've heard of some guys
holding a mouthful of water to make sure they don't. Carl D. Herold did a
lot of testing with cannula use at high altitudes, he is a great recourse
for any advice about high altitude soaring.

Gary Boggs

om...

Old August 26th 04, 10:01 PM
Marc Ramsey

Hal wrote:
How do most pilots go about the 5000 meter height gain in the Sierras?
Somehow getting in a glider on a cold/windy Minden winter day does
not sound like me. During the summer I stumbled across a wave
condition behind Mt Rose but I was not sure about how the O2 system
worked and where/whether the wave window was open so I stopped short
of 18k If I was ready this would have been a perfect opportunity.
Seems difficult to know when these conditions will exist.

There are plenty of workable wave days during the summer, around now is
a particularly good time. The wave window must be requested by
telephone, radio Soar Minden on 123.3 to see if it's already open and/or
request it.

Another question is if you use the M&H O2 and you are staying below
24k do you use the cannula or the face mask? I think I know the legal
answer but it seems that the cannula is actually the preferred option.

When I was young and foolish, I did my Diamond altitude gain on a summer
flight out of Truckee, using an Oxymizer cannula with a continuous flow
system turned full on. I was careful to keep my mouth shut, but I was
feeling definite symptoms of hypoxia (seeing stars, tingling fingertips)
by around 23K. I kept it together for the additional 1500 feet I
needed, then dove down to 18K. I won't try that again. Your mileage
may vary...

Marc

Old August 26th 04, 11:56 PM
Eric Greenwell

Hal wrote:

Another question is if you use the M&H O2 and you are staying below
24k do you use the cannula or the face mask? I think I know the legal
answer but it seems that the cannula is actually the preferred option.

The best way to check you and your system under actual conditions is
with a pulse oximeter. Read the article in the recent Soaring magazine,
and borrow or buy one. People do vary a lot, and what works fine for me
might not for you.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old August 27th 04, 12:22 AM
Vaughn

"Gary Boggs" wrote in message

And about the M&H system, I use the cannula but you have to be very careful
that you don't take any breaths through you mouth. I've heard of some guys
holding a mouthful of water to make sure they don't.

A strip of wide elastic over your head and under your chin will gently keep
your mmouth closed while still allowing you to talk or drink. You can make your
own of course, but they are supplied with those nighttime breathing machines for
exactly that purpose.

Vaughn

Old August 27th 04, 01:09 AM
Bob Korves

The easiest way is to go to Minden in most any season and just do it!

WRT equipment, cannulas are illegal above 18K' in the U.S. Also, a mask
must be available to be legal in the U.S. I know several pilots that have
gone to some very impressive altitudes with just a cannula both with and
without the Mountain High controller, but I think they were being
dangerously stupid.

For my own flying I have made the decision to not go over 18K' again, and my
gliders have 20K' altimeters. Been there, done that (highest 30K' in a
freezing cold Schweizer SGS 1-34 with 2 tanks, 2 regulators, and 2 masks).
The fun part of wave flying, to me, is rotor rooting into it. Climbing high
doesn't take much additional skill.

It is also possible (but difficult) to do diamond altitude in the off season
at Crazy Creek or Williams without going over 18K', and it is just barely
possible in the Sierra. Ask Sergio how to do it!
-Bob Korves

om...

Old August 27th 04, 01:21 AM
Greg Arnold

It is also possible (but difficult) to do diamond altitude in the off season
at Crazy Creek or Williams without going over 18K', and it is just barely
possible in the Sierra. Ask Sergio how to do it!
-Bob Korves

Diamond altitude without going over 18K' also is possible (but
difficult) at Santa Ynez. It was done most recently a couple of years ago.
Old August 28th 04, 11:35 AM
Denis

Gary Boggs wrote:

And about the M&H system, I use the cannula but you have to be very careful
that you don't take any breaths through you mouth. I've heard of some guys
holding a mouthful of water to make sure they don't.

This is not allowed above 0°C level (water could freeze)

--
Denis

R. Parce que ça rompt le cours normal de la conversation !!!
Q. Pourquoi ne faut-il pas répondre au-dessus de la question ?
Old August 28th 04, 03:31 PM
chris

Denis wrote in message ...
Gary Boggs wrote:

And about the M&H system, I use the cannula but you have to be very careful
that you don't take any breaths through you mouth. I've heard of some guys
holding a mouthful of water to make sure they don't.

This is not allowed above 0°C level (water could freeze)

If the water in your mouth freezes you have worse problems than
hypoxia!
If your body temperature drops to freezing level, hypothermia will
have long since killed you.

If you do this at least try to freeze yourself in a stable best L/D
glide into the wind so you can glide into the hereafter a real long
ways, at least you will not have to worry about a PIO.

chris

Deck height Sean Trost Home Built 5 July 16th 04 03:46 AM
Is there support for a official 20 meter two seater FAI class? Ruud Soaring 1 June 7th 04 07:31 PM
Radio Shack SWR meter Paul Lee Home Built 6 June 2nd 04 04:42 AM
Kestral 1000 Wind Speed Meter NEW IN BOX Cecil E. Chapman Products 0 November 7th 03 06:56 PM
Best Software and Hardware for Turn Area Task? Snead1 Soaring 29 August 13th 03 04:12 PM