337 to install a transponder?

Old December 19th 03, 02:00 AM
Kevin

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:06:12 -0500, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:44:22 GMT, Newps wrote:

Gene Kearns wrote:

Frankly, I don't think anything about a transponder rises to the level
of a Major Alteration... ditto radios, intercoms, etc.

A panel mount GPS is a major alteration. The back of the 337 is an
unreadable mess only a government agency could come up with. And mine
was a slide in replacement for a Loran.

W&B issues and possibly IFR issues aside, this might have been,
arguably, preventive maintenance that you could have accomplished,
yourself. FAR Part 43, Appendix A(31)...

After a telephone call to AOPA, I find that I'm not the only one that
has trouble with this. The best they could suggest is that an
installation requiring more or less amperage draw than the last
installation has been considered by some FSDOs a "change to the basic
design of the ...electrical...system. I say, "bovine scatology" and
I'm 99.99% sure my avionics PMI would agree...... but then each FSDO
is its own domain...

Take a look at:

http://www1.faa.gov/asd/internationa...C/AC20-138.pdf

7. AIRWORTHINESS CRITERIA FOR GPS INSTALLATIONS USED AS A SUPPLEMENTAL
NAVIGATION SYSTEM LIMITED TO VISUAL FLIGHT RULES (VFR) ONLY.
a. Application Process. Operators wishing to obtain approval of Class A() GPS equipment limited
to VFR use only may do so via the type certificate (TC), supplemental type certificate (STC), or, for equipment
previously approved via the TC or STC process, data approved by the FAA (responsible Flight Standards
District Office) on FAA Form 337, Major Repair and Alteration. The approval for return to service must be
signed by one of the entities noted in 14 CFR part 43; i.e., repair station, manufacturer, holder of an inspection
authorization, etc.

8. AIRWORTHINESS CRITERIA FOR GPS INSTALLATIONS USED AS A SUPPLEMENTAL
NAVIGATION SYSTEM UNDER INSTRUMENT FLIGHT RULES (IFR).
a. Application Process. Operators wishing to obtain approval of Class A() GPS equipment for IFR
operations may do so via the type certificate (TC) or supplemental type certificate (STC) process. For
equipment produced under TSO-C129 authorization that has previously obtained initial installation approval
via the TC or STC process, approval may also be obtained via data approved by the FAA (responsible Flight
Standards District Office) on FAA Form 337. The approval for return to service must be signed by one of the
entities noted in 14 CFR part 43; i.e., repair station, manufacturer, holder of an inspection authorization, etc.

I wouldn't say it is the only means of "approving" a GPS install, but
it's definitely the one a FSDO is going to wave in your face.

Regards;

TC

Sounds like a good reason to use a portable GSP.

Old December 19th 03, 03:06 AM
Bob Noel

In article , Gene Kearns
wrote:

While overhauling my engine I did a set of six 337s by talking
to the FSDO guy in advance and then brought the 337s over to
the office prior to the post-engine install test flight. In
other words, it didn't take any time.

Why did you do *any* 337s to overhaul an engine?? Geared??

"while I'm at it"

337 to mod the engine to 160hp
337 to install the 160hp in the cherokee 140
337 to install a lightweight starter
337 to install a composite spinner/bulkhead kit
337 to install digital OAT probe in place of the normal OAT probe
337 to remove portions of the air conditioning equipment

--
Bob Noel
Old December 19th 03, 03:28 AM
Jeff

how much did you pay for it on ebay ?

I had bid ona few of them awhile back but when they got close to the price of a
new one I stopped. I finally had mine installed with the rest of my avionics at
one time.

Jay Honeck wrote:

So you send the
337 to the FSDO for approval before installation, when the approval
comes back you install the transponder.

The seller is shipping the unit today, but (of course) we're coming up on
Xmas and New Years, and the avionics shop is in Illinois, so it'll probably
be at least a week before I could get the installation done anyway.

How long does getting the 337 usually take?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 19th 03, 03:42 AM
Martin Kosina

The back of the 337 is an unreadable mess only a government agency could come up with.

Uh, you mean the two-sentence notice about W&B and compatibility with
other alterations ? That seems pretty straightforward to me. Any other
"mess" on the back side of a 337 would have to be the IA's
handiwork...
Old December 19th 03, 02:10 PM
Jay Honeck

how much did you pay for it on ebay ?

$1325.00. New ones are going for $1895, installed (but, of course, I'd
have to fly to Pacific Coast Avionics to have it done for that price!). My
shop quoted me $200 - $300 for installation, so I figure I saved a couple of
hundred bucks.

It comes with the tray, connectors, manuals, and a warranty, because it was
literally in a plane only one day.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 19th 03, 04:45 PM
Newps

Martin Kosina wrote:
The back of the 337 is an unreadable mess only a government agency could come up with.

Uh, you mean the two-sentence notice about W&B and compatibility with
other alterations ? That seems pretty straightforward to me. Any other
"mess" on the back side of a 337 would have to be the IA's
handiwork...

The entire backside, and it is full of text, was all part of what the
FSDO wanted to see. So we put it on there.

Old December 19th 03, 11:17 PM
Jeff

Aircraft spruce
part number: 11-00329 GARMIN GTX-327 W HARNESS $1434.000

I am not sure what I paid for mine installed, I know he had to test it and the
transponder check was part of the install.

Old December 19th 03, 11:25 PM
Jay Honeck

Aircraft spruce
part number: 11-00329 GARMIN GTX-327 W HARNESS $1434.000

That's $1505.70 with tax, plus shipping.

My $1325 price was all-inclusive, for what amounts to a brand-new unit...
(One day old...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 20th 03, 02:03 AM
Viperdoc

Although transponders are kind of boring as far as boxes go, the GTX 327 is
a fine unit. I had one for nearly two years before trading up to a GTX 330.
The pressure altitude readout along with the flight timers are nice
features, as is the digital input of codes and the single button push for
1200 or 7700.

The nice thing about the GTX 330 is the traffic readout, which is both a
blessing and scary as well, since I now realize how much traffic is out
there that I never saw before!

Enjoy the new box.

Old December 20th 03, 04:03 AM
Bob Noel

In article , Gene Kearns
wrote:

Why did you do *any* 337s to overhaul an engine?? Geared??

"while I'm at it"

337 to mod the engine to 160hp
337 to install the 160hp in the cherokee 140
337 to install a lightweight starter
337 to install a composite spinner/bulkhead kit
337 to install digital OAT probe in place of the normal OAT probe
337 to remove portions of the air conditioning equipment

Ah.... proving that what makes airplanes fly is........paperwork!

The 337s were easy. Documenting appropriate disposition of
87+ "discrepancies" that a previous scumbucket IA wrote up
actually took more pages than the six 337s.

btw - I thought what makes airplanes fly is lotsa of money.

--
Bob Noel