Jet Ranger Operating Costs?

Old February 3rd 05, 02:43 AM
greenwavepilot

Default Jet Ranger Operating Costs?

Two Scenarios:

1. Operating Costs for brand new Jet Ranger flying daily.

2. Operating Costs for Mid-time Jet Ranger flying daily.

Other Considerations:

1. Typical pilot salary costs (Commercial Rotorcraft Pilot) with over
2000 hours.

2. Will require hull AND Liability Insurance.

3. Will require hangar.

"The Story"

Company wants a Jet Ranger for daily use/transportation. [NB: Company
is dead set on the JR, so no need to recommend lower-cost
"alternatives"]

Company will also need a full-time pilot. Assuming financing the helo
in both scenarios, what yearly operating costs can be expected to
operate the Jet Ranger plus pilot?

Current "wild ass guess" estimate is $600US per flight hour. Is this
high or low?

Full Disclosu I do not own the company, have no helo experience, and
can only hope to maybe (one day) get a short hop in it (it would make a
nice perk, huh?)

Thanks.

Old February 3rd 05, 03:08 AM
Mike Rapoport

I don't have the answers but it will depend a lot on how much it is flying
daily. $600/hr seems low unless it is flying several hours a day.

Mike
MU-2

oups.com...

Old February 3rd 05, 05:18 AM
Matt Barrow

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
nk.net...
I don't have the answers but it will depend a lot on how much it is flying
daily. $600/hr seems low unless it is flying several hours a day.

Mike
MU-2

Bell quotes a DOC of $260 per hr for a 206B3.
http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/air...pec2005jan.pdf
page 34-37.

Their estimates for fuel prices and maint labor are a bit odd, so TIWAGOS.
Figure insurance and pilot $5-6K per month plus bennies.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old February 3rd 05, 05:30 AM
Matt Barrow

"greenwavepilot" wrote in message
oups.com...
Two Scenarios:

1. Operating Costs for brand new Jet Ranger flying daily.

2. Operating Costs for Mid-time Jet Ranger flying daily.

Other Considerations:

1. Typical pilot salary costs (Commercial Rotorcraft Pilot) with over
2000 hours.

2. Will require hull AND Liability Insurance.

3. Will require hangar.

"The Story"

Company wants a Jet Ranger for daily use/transportation. [NB: Company
is dead set on the JR, so no need to recommend lower-cost
"alternatives"]

How about a more expensive alternative: take them for a ride in a MD 520N!!

Problem: The MDH company is in dire straights until (most likely scenario)
Sikorsky buys them out later this year.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old February 3rd 05, 03:38 PM
greenwavepilot

"$600/hr seems low unless it is flying several hours a day."
"Bell quotes a DOC of $260 per hr for a 206B3."
"Figure insurance and pilot $5-6K per month plus bennies."

Yeah, I was figuring that just helo/maint./fuel/hangar would be higher
than $600 per flight hour. It will be flying every day that weather
permits (say 300 days a year).

Trying to precisely nail down DOC as it relates to any aviation
operation seems as difficult as trying to shooting a dove with .22 from
the bow of a pitching boat. Not easy. Even trying to establish a
budgetable range has a lot of variables which cannot be isolated,
especially from the maintenance and fuel standpoint.

I appreciate the replies giving me a snapshot of the costs. I now need
to get my hands really dirty with the details.

Thanks.

Old February 3rd 05, 04:31 PM
Mike Rapoport

If you believe manufacturers DOC cost, I have a bridge to sell....Anyway DOC
are only a part of total cost and if you are only flying a couple hundred
hours per year, DOC is only a small percentage of total cost.

On the other hand, if you are the Los Angeles County Sheriff and your helos
are in the air 3000hrs/yr then DOC pretty much equals total cost.

Mike
MU-2

news

Navajo operating costs Hamish Owning 0 June 25th 04 02:31 AM
Naval Air Refueling Needs Deferred in Air Force Tanker Plan Henry J Cobb Military Aviation 47 May 22nd 04 03:36 AM
Lockheed's JSF Costs to Rise $45 Billion Henry J Cobb Military Aviation 3 April 6th 04 09:33 PM
Club Management Issue Geoffrey Barnes Owning 150 March 30th 04 06:36 PM