Oversized bolts

Old April 12th 05, 01:15 PM
Kjell Sivertsen

Default Oversized bolts

Over some time the bolt holes in the link between the horizontal stabilizer
and the trim mechanism have been elongated. To get rid of the play, I
consider installing an oversized bolt. The original bolt is an AN5-7. I am
confused about the designation on oversized bolts. Can anyone help ?

Thank you in advance.

Kjell Sivertsen

Old April 12th 05, 02:15 PM
Dave S

The spec's are about to be consolidated (so I've been told).. so dont
spend too much time memorizing things..

But the AN5 refers to "Army Navy spec", the number 5 in this case is the
bolt diameter in 1/16" of an inch.. so this is 5/16".... an AN6 would
be 6/16" (more commonly known as 3/8"

The 7 in this part refers to the lengh.. and I do NOT know the specifics
on the length.. There are bolt gauges that can be bought, and Bolt
charts probably on the net that have the specs on them

The next up AN bolt would be an AN6, so an AN6-7. Now.. I do not know
the circumstances of your situation, and I'm not an A&P either, but you
might want to inquire if that is an "approved repair" or even
recommended in the spot that you are considering. I would check with a
pro before doing this. The hole elongation MIGHT be a sign that the
parts need replacing (MIght.. I dont know..dont claim to know).

Dave

Old April 12th 05, 03:27 PM
Mike Rapoport

"Kjell Sivertsen" wrote in message
Over some time the bolt holes in the link between the horizontal
stabilizer
and the trim mechanism have been elongated. To get rid of the play, I
consider installing an oversized bolt. The original bolt is an AN5-7. I am
confused about the designation on oversized bolts. Can anyone help ?

Thank you in advance.

Kjell Sivertsen

Are you considering going up to a AN6 bolt? I am familiar with oversize
rivets but not bolts. I think you might be required to replace the worn
parts if it is a certified airplane.

Mike
MU-2

Old April 12th 05, 03:52 PM
Don Hammer

"Kjell Sivertsen" wrote in message
Over some time the bolt holes in the link between the horizontal
stabilizer
and the trim mechanism have been elongated. To get rid of the play, I
consider installing an oversized bolt. The original bolt is an AN5-7. I am
confused about the designation on oversized bolts. Can anyone help ?

Thank you in advance.

Kjell Sivertsen

I don't think they make AN bolts in oversize sizes like some NAS
hardware. The issue though is not the bolt, but the hole it fits
into. By the time you ream it out to fit a larger bolt, you may have
lost the design strength required. You need to replace the part and
the bolt.

Don
A&P / IA

http://www.usenet.com
Old April 12th 05, 06:51 PM
George Patterson

Dave S wrote:

The 7 in this part refers to the lengh.. and I do NOT know the specifics
on the length.. There are bolt gauges that can be bought, and Bolt
charts probably on the net that have the specs on them

An AN5-7 has a grip of 7/16" and a length of 31/32". Don't assume that the -7
has these dimensions for every diameter - an AN6-7 has a grip of 5/16" and
length of 61/64".

See http://tinyurl.com/5zd4n

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old April 13th 05, 05:26 AM

Kjell Sivertsen wrote:
Over some time the bolt holes in the link between the horizontal

stabilizer
and the trim mechanism have been elongated. To get rid of the play, I
consider installing an oversized bolt. The original bolt is an AN5-7.

I am
confused about the designation on oversized bolts. Can anyone help ?

Thank you in advance.

Kjell Sivertsen

Kjell,
Several NAS and MS bolts are available in diameters 1/64 inch oversize
(also 1/32 over). The advice from others that making the hole larger
may weaken the part too much is correct, and you have no real way of
knowing that. Getting a suitable bolt is not much of a problem. To
assure that the link is strong enough, you may have to replace it.

Regards,
Bruce Cunningham
N30464 C177A

Old April 14th 05, 03:40 AM
nrp

Kjell,
Several NAS and MS bolts are available in diameters 1/64 inch

oversize
(also 1/32 over).

Where are these available? I know of industrial applications where
quality oversize bolts would be very useful.

Old April 14th 05, 05:02 AM

nrp,
Try gen-aircraft-hardware.com or give them a call.
There are lots of places in S. Cal. that sell aircraft quality
hardware. You need to find out exactly which NAS and MS bolts you need
and then do a google search. I have done this in the past and found
several suppliers of say, NAS 8703 stainless countersunk bolts for
Lance fuel tank screws. You realize that there are hundreds of
different NAS and MS bolts available, all the way up to 260,000 psi
tensile strength, corrosion resistant, 1200 degree F, etc. Some
designations are merely 1/64 or 1/32 oversize of a certain other NAS
or MS number.

regards,
Bruce Cunningham
N30464 C177A

Oil Leak on top of the engine -- follow up Jay Honeck Owning 6 February 13th 05 02:50 PM
Oil leak on top of the engine Jay Honeck Owning 31 February 12th 05 03:27 AM
Epoxy Bonding to Aluminum and Magnesium Ryan Young Home Built 25 September 16th 04 02:45 AM
Source for Bolts Dave Home Built 2 May 20th 04 08:09 PM
Can F-15s making 9G turns with payload? Paul J. Adam Military Aviation 114 September 27th 03 05:47 AM