Flying without FAA medical or insurance

Old January 1st 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Flying without FAA medical or insurance

Last year, an acquaintance of mine turned 85 and stopped flying and sold his
airplane. He just figured that he had done it long enough and he wasn't as
sharp as he used to be. He flew a lot right up until he sold his plane and
he was quite experienced. I suspect for private reasons that he had not
passed an FAA physical in years and that he did not bother to buy insurance,
since the company would refuse to pay anyway if he smashed up the airplane
without a valid physical.

So... I'd like to throw out two questions to this group ...

1) If you can't pass a physical or you don't feel like getting a license and
you feel like flying anyway and you are willing to accept the liability
personally without any insurance, exactly what's to stop you from taking
this path?

2) How many pilots do you think are doing just this? From reading the FAA
accident reports, I suspect it's more than a few.

I welcome your opinions. Don't bother with preachy, holier-than-thou
platitudes - just the pros and cons.

DB

Old January 1st 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Going naked - no license or insurance - depends on how well you have
buried your money so the lawyers can't get to it. At 85, if his wife has
passed and his kids have their own money, he isn't risking that much
financially.

Old January 1st 06, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

sfb wrote:

I welcome your opinions. Don't bother with preachy, holier-than-thou
platitudes - just the pros and cons.

My opinion is that only idiots provide information to people who get
preachy and tell people how to respond to their posts.

Matt
Old January 1st 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

It's my post, Matt, not yours. I can ask for anything I want. Therefore
you and you alone have my permission to get preachy.

DB

Old January 1st 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doodybutch wrote:
1) If you can't pass a physical or you don't feel like getting a license and
you feel like flying anyway and you are willing to accept the liability
personally without any insurance, exactly what's to stop you from taking
this path?

Very little. It's unlikely anybody will ever ask to see your
paperwork unless you do something stupid.

2) How many pilots do you think are doing just this? From reading the FAA
accident reports, I suspect it's more than a few.

I'm sure it is. Just like driving a car without insurance or with a
suspended license. Or practicing medicine, doing electrical work,
etc. Just the other day, I heard a rumor that a local barbershop had
people cutting hair without a license. A barbershop that I used to
frequent. For all I know, my folicles have been violated multiple
times.

Old January 1st 06, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doodybutch wrote:
It's my post, Matt, not yours. I can ask for anything I want. Therefore
you and you alone have my permission to get preachy.

You asked for opinions. I posted mine.

Matt
Old January 1st 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

sfb wrote:

I welcome your opinions. Don't bother with preachy, holier-than-thou
platitudes - just the pros and cons.

My opinion is that only idiots provide information to people who get
preachy and tell people how to respond to their posts.

Matt

Sorry about that. I was trimming the post and trimmed too much.

Matt
Old January 1st 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 21:30:38 +0000 (UTC), (Roy Smith) wrote:

For all I know, my folicles have been violated multiple
times.

And was that good for you?
Old January 1st 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

First, you are required by FAA regulations to have a physical.
Second, in some states it is mandatory to have insurance.

If you violate both the above you would probably have your license
revoked and charged by the state for violation of the law.

Of course if you do the above and have an accident then the judical
vermin would ravage your carcass in court.

This is not really a difficult problem to consider.

Is there a pilot here who thinks he will not be caught???