Flying without FAA medical or insurance

Old January 2nd 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Flying without FAA medical or insurance

Depending of the circumstances the FAA could call in the US Attorneys
Office to have criminal charges filed and would of course seize the
aircraft as evidence.

You want to fly aircraft in the US without a license and cause severe
material or personal damage and just watch what happens.

Old January 2nd 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Thanks Dave, and my IFR is current.

Here's a story that a CFI in Tucson, AZ told me some years ago.

One Friday, a rancher came up to him and said that he had just bought a
plane and wanted to learn to fly that weekend. My friend started to
outline the steps to a private when he was interrupted with, "No, No, I
just want to learn to fly this weekend!" After some discussion, my
friend realized he had a couple of days to teach this man. On Monday,
he flew his plane home. Did the CFI do right? I don't know, but he
probably kept the rancher from trying to fly with no instruction.

Also, the charts in the AZ area show ranches, I think it's because
most have an airstrip of sorts and the rancher has a plane. Licenses?
Who knows.

Chuck

David Lesher wrote:
I said:

I have an ex-boss who flew IFR with years without a rating.
For all I know, he still does.

That doesn't make right....

Hours later, it occurs to me that a reader here might think I was
referring to a far more recent ex-boss, one who posts here.

I was not.

When I worked for Chuck, he was spending all his money on boats err
MMU's not AMU's. I don't even know if he'd been in a GA aircraft
back then.

The ex-boss I referred was long ago, before I went to engineering
school...and about 65% of Chuck's size. He fit into a Mooney.

--
A host is a host from coast to

Old January 2nd 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

From my limited understanding, you are violating FARs by flying without a
medical. When you are caught, they can pull your cert, but not much more.

When you get caught flying without a cert, you're facing criminal charges.

"Doodybutch" wrote in message

1) If you can't pass a physical or you don't feel like getting a license

and
you feel like flying anyway and you are willing to accept the liability
personally without any insurance, exactly what's to stop you from taking
this path?

I welcome your opinions. Don't bother with preachy, holier-than-thou
platitudes - just the pros and cons.

Old January 2nd 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Doodybutch" writes:

I don't think the FAA has the authority to send anyone to jail - has anybody
ever heard of being arrested by the FAA?

There are FAA Special Agents. Find the story of Gregory Travis's hijacking...

--
A host is a host from coast to
Old January 2nd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"darthpup" wrote in message
oups.com...
Its comforting to hear such lame reasoning coming from licensed?
pilots.

Do I detect a note of lawlessness here?

I detect someone reading and DETECTING that which is not there. No one said
it was a good thing but it happens more than many people think. If you
can't handle the facts you might want to turn your computer off.

Old January 2nd 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"darthpup" wrote in message
oups.com...
Depending of the circumstances the FAA could call in the US Attorneys
Office to have criminal charges filed and would of course seize the
aircraft as evidence.

Cite? Didn't think so.

Old January 2nd 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doodybutch wrote:

I welcome your opinions. Don't bother with preachy, holier-than-thou
platitudes - just the pros and cons.

DB

I don't need no stinking license.
Old January 3rd 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Doodybutch" wrote in message
1) If you can't pass a physical or you don't feel like getting a license
and you feel like flying anyway and you are willing to accept the
liability personally without any insurance, exactly what's to stop you
from taking this path?

2) How many pilots do you think are doing just this? From reading the FAA
accident reports, I suspect it's more than a few.

I know a few pilots and aircraft owners that never had a certificate and
others that have lost their medical but still fly. It happens out in the
middle of no where...

Old January 3rd 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Doodybutch wrote:
I don't think the FAA has the authority to send anyone to jail - has anybody
ever heard of being arrested by the FAA?

The FAA doesn't have the power to imprison people.

I don't think they have the power to confiscate airplanes either - the only
ones I have ever seen confiscated are done by US Customs or Repo men.

The FAA has been known to convince judges to issue restraining orders and have
aircraft impounded, but I've never heard of a case in which the aircraft was
confiscated.

George Patterson
Coffee is only a way of stealing time that should by rights belong to
your slightly older self.