Voltage Regulator replacement

Old June 7th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Voltage Regulator replacement

Jay Masino wrote:

What's the brand name?

It was a Lamar. I didn't write down the model number. It was for a 14V
aircraft, probably a Piper, meaning that the regulator sinks the field
current.

Old June 7th 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

mikem wrote:
Jay Masino wrote:

What's the brand name?

It was a Lamar. I didn't write down the model number. It was for a 14V
aircraft, probably a Piper, meaning that the regulator sinks the field
current.

Piper electrical systems source the field current. The other side of
the field winding is connected to ground.
Old June 7th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Ray Andraka wrote:
mikem wrote:

Jay Masino wrote:

What's the brand name?

It was a Lamar. I didn't write down the model number. It was for a 14V
aircraft, probably a Piper, meaning that the regulator sinks the field
current.

Piper electrical systems source the field current. The other side of
the field winding is connected to ground.

My Comanche regulator grounds the field wiring. I thought most pipers
were that way.
Old June 7th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

ktbr wrote:
My Comanche regulator grounds the field wiring. I thought most pipers
were that way.

Well, let me clarify... grounded is for max generator output.
The regulator controls the generator output by controlling
"how much" it is grounded. This could be done in a pulse-width
method or linear method.
Old June 7th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

ktbr wrote:

It was a Lamar. I didn't write down the model number. It was for a 14V
aircraft, probably a Piper, meaning that the regulator sinks the field
current.

Piper electrical systems source the field current. The other side of
the field winding is connected to ground.

My Comanche regulator grounds the field wiring. I thought most pipers
were that way.

I should have clarified. The Cherokee line uses "B" type regulators.
For those, the regulator is connected between the power buss and the
alternator. Higher voltage at the regulator output (average voltage for
PWM regulators) yields higher alternator output. The other end of the
field winding is grounded. I wasn't aware the the Commanche used the
other type.
Old June 7th 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

kontiki wrote:
Has anyone replaced their Delco Remy voltage regulator (the old
mechanical type for a 50 amp generator) with a new solid state
type by Zeftronics? CHief aircraft sells them, just wondering
what anyone's experience was.

Mine is old, acting up and charging too high. In the old days I
guess you could clean the contacts and so forth but I'd rather just
replace it.

I replaced the Delco-Remy's and paralelling relay on my PA-30 with
Zeftronics, and couldn't be happier. I used to stock a spare generator
and have to replace them regularly - once I installed the Zeftronics,
this came to an end. Guess they don't arc as much.

The installation instructions are dead simple, and they have
diagnostics that tell you what is wrong. In fact, the Zeftronics
regulators were my first experience ever with buying a PMA part (other
than an engine part) and being able to install it exactly per
instructions and having everything work without cutting, fitting,
adjusting, and generally messing with it. It's a good design, IMO.

I also discovered, by talking to their chief engineer, that there is
someone in this world who has a lower opinion of the FAA engineering
and certification people than I do.

Michael

Old June 8th 06, 07:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Ray Andraka wrote:
mikem wrote:

It was a Lamar. I didn't write down the model number. It was for a 14V
aircraft, probably a Piper, meaning that the regulator sinks the field
current.

Piper electrical systems source the field current. The other side of
the field winding is connected to ground.

I was wrong. I picked up the unit at the airport tonight. It has
"PAC-484121 Voltage Regulator 14V B-00331-2 Lamar, inc. Bancocas N.J.
USA" silk-screened on the cover.
It is a linear regulator. It regulates in the high side (sources
current to the field). If your alternator has two field terminals, you
have to ground the other one..., just like my Cessna. The Lamar unit
came out of a PA32.

Old June 8th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

mikem wrote:
The digital Zeftronics
puts out continuous broadband RF (as opposed to the old mechanical
units that put out various pops and clicks at random times

The mechanical regulator operates like a buzzer. I have a
couple of sim setups here I use to teach the systems, and in a dark
room with the alternator operating you can see the small but constant
arcing between the regulator contact points. A capacitor across field
and ground kills most of the noise. The inductance of the field winding
and the resistors in the regulator maintain a semblance of constant
current flow even thought the points are bouncing, and the capacitor
reduces the arcing that makes noise and burns the contacts. Works
pretty well, even though it's primitive. I do like the constant-current
regulator idea, though failure is more likely to be instant and without
warning. Worn mechanical regulators will start dropping the output
voltage or might stick occasionally.

Dan

Old June 11th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"kontiki" wrote in message ...
Has anyone replaced their Delco Remy voltage regulator (the old
mechanical type for a 50 amp generator) with a new solid state
type by Zeftronics? CHief aircraft sells them, just wondering
what anyone's experience was.

Mine is old, acting up and charging too high. In the old days I
guess you could clean the contacts and so forth but I'd rather just
replace it.

Used the Zeftronics on my Cherokee 140 about 5 years ago. No issues. Works fine.

Joe Schneider
N8437R

Old June 14th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

JJS wrote:

Used the Zeftronics on my Cherokee 140 about 5 years ago. No issues. Works fine.

Joe Schneider
N8437R

Update: Installed the Zeftronics unit last week and flew out to Austin over the
weekend. Unit works perfectly and makes me realize just how bad my old one was.

I highly recommend these units as a replacement for the old Delco Remy antiques.

Low voltage warning level markp Home Built 1 December 27th 05 05:11 AM
Low battery voltage level markp Instrument Flight Rules 8 December 22nd 05 10:16 AM
Mooney Low Voltage [email protected] Owning 22 August 1st 05 01:01 PM
High Voltage Jim Rosinski Piloting 7 October 16th 04 10:48 PM
Anyone have experience with InterAv alternator flyer Home Built 6 October 19th 03 03:24 AM