Finding "Neutral" Position on Piper Elevator/Trim Tab

Old December 6th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Finding "Neutral" Position on Piper Elevator/Trim Tab

I have a '79 Piper Warrior with a floor-mounted flap lever/trim wheel
and cover. The trim wheel has a metal needle pointing to a sticker on
the cover to show "neutral". The only reason this matters is that
setting the trim wheel/tab to neutral is part of the pre-flight
checklist.

The plastic cover was old and cracked so I replaced it, carefully
noting where neutral was and (my mistake) re-used the old label.
Whatever glue was left on the sticker after 25 years quickly faded and
the sticker is now gone. I can replace it with a new one from a label
maker, but I can only estimate where neutral is. My local FBO/shop
says finding neutral is not simply the 1/2 point between full up and
full down. You need protractors, string, and an advanced degree in
Euclidean geometry.

I'm not worried that the plane will violently pitch up or nose down on
take-off, but it would be nice to set it properly. Any guidance on how
to find the neutral position?

Thanks!!

--Jeff

Old December 6th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Just put tape on the surface next to the pointer, make several
landings, takoffs and mark each one on the tape. That will get you
closer then any other way. After all, you only use the setting during
the preflight to get you close on the trim setting. Once airborne you
will adjust it for various conditions like fuel on board, passenger
seating, flap setting, ect... Then get a label maker reproduce one and
stick on the mark you made...

Old December 6th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roy Smith

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Two suggestions:

1) Find some other Cherokee with a friendly owner on the ramp and ask to
see his decal. Note the approximate position of the neutral point and use
that. It'll be close enough.

2) Go to the tail of the plane with the yoke free to move. Move the
horizontal stabilizer (stabilator?) until the trim tab moves to the fully
faired position (i.e. in line with the rest of the stabilizer. If the trim
is set to neutral, the main body of the stabilizer should now be parallel
with the sheet-metal joint in the fuselage skin. It'll be obvious what I'm
talking about when you go look at it. Tweak the trim wheel until it all
lines up right. Mark that position.

I am sure the official Piper Maintenance Manual has a procedure which does
indeed require protractors, string, and an advanced degree in Euclidean
geometry. Maybe even an A&P certificate, too.
Old December 6th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I did. He was the one who told me about the protractors and string!
(Although the higher math degree was my add.) He said they don't even
bother setting it to neutral but rather try hard to rely on the old
sticker and position of the tab. Unfortunately, its too late for that
since the wheel was already moved by a co-owner.

--Jeff

Michelle P wrote:
Your best bet it to talk to your A&P and get the rigging procedures for
the trim. That way it will be right. Setting it by flying will result in
incorrect markings.
Michelle P (A&P)

Old December 6th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Michelle P wrote:

Your best bet it to talk to your A&P and get the rigging procedures for
the trim. That way it will be right. Setting it by flying will result in
incorrect markings.
Michelle P (A&P)

I know that there is a trim rigging procedure, but is there one for
matching a particular trim setting to a particular position in the
little window? Given the loose tolerances of the plastic trim wheel
cover, I've always thought is was an approximation. I've flown a lot
of Cherokees and one thing I've noticed is that the trim settings don't
always match up from plane to plane. One of the questions I'll always
ask the owner or instructor is where they normally set the trim for
takeoff.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old December 6th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Masino

The sticker for my overhead trim indicator fell off at one time, and I
just glued it back in it's "approximate" position. I think you're
probably over thinking this. Benford2's idea was probably as good as
anyone's. I'd start with the center most position (half way between all
the way forward and all the way back), and then do 5 or 6 take offs and
landings and find what feels right. Then mark accordingly. I somehow
doubt that Piper was that precise when they were applying the decals in
the factory (especially since you can easily bend the little pointer).

--- Jay

--

Jay Masino "Home is where My critters are"
http://www.JayMasino.com
Old December 7th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

My local FBO/shop
says finding neutral is not simply the 1/2 point between full up and
full down. You need protractors, string, and an advanced degree in
Euclidean geometry.

And an answer like that would turn me off totally to that shop. True, it
is not 1/2 way between the stops, but it also IS a simple procedure.
Given the slop in the plastic cover and the variability of the pointer's
position (when bent), why obsess? Fly it in still air and trim it off
level. Mark that position and you are done. There is no need to go
through complex and expensive procedures. Yes, it will change a bit with
varying loads, power settings, altitude, and temperature. The neutral
position is only approximate. So, approximate it!

Good Luck,
Mike

Old December 7th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Travis Marlatte

wrote in message
ps.com...
Just put tape on the surface next to the pointer, make several
landings, takoffs and mark each one on the tape. That will get you
closer then any other way. After all, you only use the setting during
the preflight to get you close on the trim setting. Once airborne you

I would think that you would at least want to know what the factory marking
indicated. Mine has a green band and the POH says that it MUST be in that
range for takeoff. The neutral position of the elevator is somewhere in that
range but it's not in the middle. If that's the case for the OP, wouldn't
you want to mark the practical limits? Weight and CG is going to alter the
"neutral" feeling position on takeoff and landing. I would use markable tape
and mark it under several different flight regimes.

I haven't flown a lot of different types but I have seen some that have just
the neutral position indicated. I don't remember if the SOP was to set it at
neutral no matter what.

I know that solo, I want it to be near the forward end of the range of my
green band. Fully loaded, I put it a little beyond the forward end of the
range. Keeping it in the range and trimming a lot just after rotation just
seems stupid to me. A little nose heavy is a good thing in my plane. When
the engine quits, it pitches up significantly.

Travis
Lake N3094P
PWK