US: Flight Recorder Alert

Old July 16th 04, 08:05 PM
Judy Ruprecht

Default US: Flight Recorder Alert

(AKA: Da Badgelady Speaks! Please use '
to respond... and bear in mind it's the busy season!!)

Problems encountered evaluating FAI badge claims documented
by flight recorder (“FR”) prompt the following notice
to pilots and Observers:

- if possible, retain the original flight file in FR
memory at least until you have received confirmation
that your claim has been evaluated.

- download data using the FR manufacturer’s “data-xxx”
program, where “xxx” is the three-letter identifier
for that manufacturer. If you do not have a copy of
this software and the “vali-xxx” program for your FR,
download one or both from:
http://www.fai.org/gliding/gnss/freeware.asp

- do NOT rename any file intended for submission

- DO make a copy of the original download for your
own evaluation purposes using the programs of your
choice.

- DO keep at least one copy of the original download
untouched by any/all programs including those written
by third party vendors and “manager” packages that
came with or appear to have been written for the FR.

- PLEASE (!) use the FR manufacturer’s “Vali-xxx” program
to check file security before submitting a badge or
record claim. (To use this DOS program, change directories
as needed to access the drive and directory where the
program is installed. Type “vali-xxx” , where “xxx”
is the FR manufacturer’s 3-letter identifier. Type
a space. Type the complete path and file name of the
file you with to validate and press enter.)

-“Vali-xxx” may and often will return a security warning
for a file handled any way other than outlined above.
Unfortunately, if no clean copy of the original download
exists, no such file is useable for FAI badge or record
purposes.

Judy
Da Bulls, Da Bears, Da Badgelady

Old July 17th 04, 04:09 AM
Eric Greenwell

Judy Ruprecht wrote:

- download data using the FR manufacturer’s “data-xxx”
program, where “xxx” is the three-letter identifier
for that manufacturer. If you do not have a copy of
this software and the “vali-xxx” program for your FR,
download one or both from:
http://www.fai.org/gliding/gnss/freeware.asp

Sounds like there have been problems using other programs. Can you name
them? I use the Cambrige utility for my 302, rather than the Vali-xxx:
am I asking for trouble?

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old July 17th 04, 05:22 AM
Judy Ruprecht

At 03:24 17 July 2004, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Sounds like there have been problems using other programs.
Can you name
them?

Eric, let me phrase it this way: the steps outlined
have solved the problem for each pilot who's otherwise
been faced with a claim going down the tubes due to
a file security message. There is no 'culprit' FR or
software in this case (it's been, shall we say, 'equal
opportunity' among the popular FRs and popular software
titles.)

I use the Cambrige utility for my 302, rather than
the
Vali-xxx: am I asking for trouble?

I don't think so, since the 'vali' programs perform
the security checking and the problems appear to involve
changes made to the files during or after download.
This suggests the 'vali: programs are working just
fine. (There's a growing archive of files to prove
this point. They're being reviewed by contacts at GFAC
and a software guru.)

My best advice is to follow the instructions in the
Cambridge 302 Approval Document or the generic version
I posted earlier.

FWIW: 'Vali-cam' is the security program for the 10,
20 and 25 model Cambridge FRs. The security checking
program is 'valicam2' for the 302, and when it doesn't
'like' a file, it simply reports it can't open it.
(Just as well, eh?)

Judy

Old July 17th 04, 12:47 PM
stephanevdv

The problem for me with the original volkslogger DOS software, is that
it will not work on my PC (Windows XP): I can't establish contact
between the logger and the software, the DOS emulator can't find the
serial port. However, Garrecht also provided a limited version of
StrePla, and this works fine. No integrity problems. I can also
download the file on my iPaq via WinPilot (series 5 - my earlier series
3 version had integrity problems).

Doing the vali-file test before erasing the flight from the logger
memory is indeed the best idea, but you need a PC or laptop on site.
When I'm away on gliding holidays, I only have the iPaq.

--
stephanevdv
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old July 17th 04, 02:17 PM
HL Falbaum

I have just checked a few of my flights, downloaded with either the "utility
program" for the 302, or the GNII for the M20 GPS/NAV and they validate
nicely with the IGC short programs. I had problems at first as I did not use
the full DOS name of the file, I guess I have gotten too used to Windows! As
soon as I used the full name "XXXCYYYY.ZZZ" They validated nicely.
The files went through --
a) Download FR to CF or SD card
b) Copy to laptop from Card
c) Copy to desktop from laptop via floppy
d) Validation on desktop
Don't ask why---long story----small card capacity

--
Hartley Falbaum

Old July 17th 04, 02:58 PM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article , stephanevdv
writes
The problem for me with the original volkslogger DOS software, is that
it will not work on my PC (Windows XP): I can't establish contact
between the logger and the software, the DOS emulator can't find the
serial port. However, Garrecht also provided a limited version of
StrePla, and this works fine. No integrity problems. I can also
download the file on my iPaq via WinPilot (series 5 - my earlier series
3 version had integrity problems).

The most common reason for "Failure to open COM port" is that Active
Sync already has control of the COM port.

I have found that a Self Booting DOS Floppy or CD with the
Download/Verify program(s) is a useful tool.

Incidentally, the Cambridge Utility Program for Cambridge models
10/20/25 has a flaw in the creation of .IGC files which creates an IGC
file with the Geodetic Datum incorrectly stated.

The .CAI file is OK so this can be resolved by running CONV-CAM.EXE to
re-create the IGC file from the .CAI file. The file now created will
have the correct Geodetic Datum.

Tim Newport-Peace

"Indecision is the Key to Flexibility."
Old July 18th 04, 12:09 AM
Mark James Boyd

This is what I use---a floppy with bootable DOS and vali-gcs.exe
on it, and the download.exe (or whatever the name is).
I just boot from this and viola! Don't gotta worry about
..dll's or any of the XP windoze garbage'

I carry a couple of these disks with me on the flight too,
so if I land out at a gliderport, I can just download using a
computer there...haven't had to do this yet in reality tho...

I have found that a Self Booting DOS Floppy or CD with the
Download/Verify program(s) is a useful tool.
Tim Newport-Peace

--

------------+
Mark Boyd
Old July 19th 04, 09:04 PM
stephanevdv

Tim Newport-Peace wrote:

The most common reason for "Failure to open COM port" is that
ActiveSync already has control of the COM port.

That's not the problem with me, I unchecked the option "serial port"
for my ActiveSync. With the option checked, SeeYou or StrePla can't
connect either. However, I tried to use the Volkslogger DOS software
again yesterday, and this time it worked to download my flight, but it
was much slower than by using StrePla or SeeYou. By the way, I now
verified some igc-files downloaded by SeeYou, and there were no
integrity problems with these either.

Thanks for the suggestion of a bootable floppy, I'll try that also.