interesting moment yesterday on final

Old April 27th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default interesting moment yesterday on final

Erik wrote:

Because straight in approaches at an uncontrolled airport
disrupt the pattern that everyone is using. Perhaps if there
were no other traffic at the time, it would be perfectly fine
but when everyone is in line and doing their thing, someone
cutting in sucks. There is a fairly large municipal airport
nearby that accommodates jets and sometimes, we single engine
folk have to anticipate them, but it still disrupts things.

I think you're taking a very narrow view of things. I often practice my
pattern work at a not-towered airport that has an ILS approach. This airport
is popular for instrument training and there are usually several planes
flying the ILS, which involves about a 5 mile straight-in. Fitting the
straight-in traffic into the pattern is not as difficult as you make it out
to be. All it takes is a little communication between the aircraft on
downwind and the aircraft on final. Sometimes it's easier for the downwind
traffic to fly a tighter pattern and land first, other times it's better to
have the downwind aircraft extend for an extra 30 seconds or so. Either way,
I can't see why this is such a big deal.

In the OP's case, the straight-in traffic appeared to be late getting on
the frequency. They coordinated a solution and everyone made it down in one
piece. Sounds like an average day at a non-towered airport to me.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 27th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Erik" wrote

Some
busy body behind me told me to get back in line. I told them where
they could stick it.

So you are a bully, that thinks his time is more important than everyone
else?

One of these days, you will come up against someone that will "put" you back
in line with everyone else, by force.

We don't need people with your attitude representing GA.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 28th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article 715979707cdb8@uwe, "JGalban via AviationKB.com" u32749@uwe
wrote:

In the OP's case, the straight-in traffic appeared to be late getting on
the frequency. They coordinated a solution and everyone made it down in one
piece. Sounds like an average day at a non-towered airport to me.

One point that no one mentioned (that I saw), KBED doesn't get much traffic
when the tower is closed, partly because of the charges (aka fines) for
operations after 11pm. I would have thought anyone on 118.5 would
have been surprised that anyone else was also on.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old April 28th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

RomeoMike wrote:
Maybe Erik was being sarcastic?

Exactly my point. I can understand some big jet or something that
can't fly the same pattern the little 150 flies, so I'll
accommodate them. If some other 150 comes in and wants to straight
in and and there's already people in the pattern, get in line, pal,
or wait until there's nobody to disrupt to practice long finals.

Old April 28th 07, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike 'Flyin'8'

Erik wrote:

Because straight in approaches at an uncontrolled airport
disrupt the pattern that everyone is using. Perhaps if there
were no other traffic at the time, it would be perfectly fine
but when everyone is in line and doing their thing, someone
cutting in sucks. There is a fairly large municipal airport
nearby that accommodates jets and sometimes, we single engine
folk have to anticipate them, but it still disrupts things.

So you'll gladly adjust the size of your pattern, maybe extend an upwind
or crosswind to fit somebody in the pattern because he enters it the
'right' way. But if he tries to enter on a straight in it's disrupting
the pattern?

That is a simplistic view of things. Yes it is disrupting, and yes I
would make room. Even if it is not the "right way" of doing things.
I have always (though my flying career is still quite young) entered
on the 45. If I have to go out of my way to enter on the 45, that I
what I do. Would I cut someone off on a disruptive straight in, no.
Are they in the wrong, IMHO yes they are, but I can't argue about it
if I am dead.
Mike Flyin' 8
Old April 28th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike 'Flyin'8'

Some
busy body behind me told me to get back in line. I told them where
they could stick it.

So you are a bully, that thinks his time is more important than everyone
else?

One of these days, you will come up against someone that will "put" you back
in line with everyone else, by force.

We don't need people with your attitude representing GA.

Uhm... I think that was sarcasm.
Mike Flyin' 8
Old April 28th 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Erik" wrote in message
RomeoMike wrote:
Maybe Erik was being sarcastic?

Exactly my point. I can understand some big jet or something that
can't fly the same pattern the little 150 flies, so I'll
accommodate them. If some other 150 comes in and wants to straight
in and and there's already people in the pattern, get in line, pal,
or wait until there's nobody to disrupt to practice long finals.

My apologies. I'm usually pretty good at "getting" sarcastic, but I sure
missed it this time.

I have a real sore spot for the people that charge all of the way up to the
barrels (on the interstates) to crowd into line, where there are lanes
closed down, too.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 28th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote

Uhm... I think that was sarcasm.

Yep, so I hear. I missed it completely. Sorry.
--
Jim in NC

Old April 28th 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote in message
So you'll gladly adjust the size of your pattern, maybe extend an upwind
or crosswind to fit somebody in the pattern because he enters it the
'right' way. But if he tries to enter on a straight in it's disrupting
the pattern?

That is a simplistic view of things. Yes it is disrupting, and yes I
would make room. Even if it is not the "right way" of doing things.
I have always (though my flying career is still quite young) entered
on the 45. If I have to go out of my way to enter on the 45, that I
what I do. Would I cut someone off on a disruptive straight in, no.
Are they in the wrong, IMHO yes they are, but I can't argue about it
if I am dead.

http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182100-1.html
The 45-Degree Zealots

There's not a syllable in the FARs about 45-degree traffic pattern entries.
Nor does the AIM require them. There exists, however, a small-but-vocal
cadre of pilots - and even some FAA inspectors - who consider any other type
of pattern entry (straight-in, crosswind, etc.) to be a felony. These

By John Deakin