Spin training

Old October 15th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven Barnes

Default Spin training

Woohoo!

I just got back from my spin training for my CFI. I went up with a local
acrobatic instructor in his Pitts. First time doing any severe unusual
attitude stuff and 1st time in a tail dragger. First off, hats off to all
those who fly taildraggers. That takes some foot work.

Spins weren't as bad as I thought. We did a couple normal stalls to see how
quickly the Pitts moves. Next, recovery from incipient spin. Then 1, then 2
turn spins. Learned quite a bit. Even got to do a couple rolls on the way
back to the field. Never lost my lunch! I did get a cramp in my right foot
from the rudder work, though. J

If you've never done any unusual attitude stuff, I would highly recommend
it.

--

CP-ASEL, instrument

Old October 15th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Steven Barnes wrote:
Woohoo!

I just got back from my spin training for my CFI. I went up with a local
acrobatic instructor in his Pitts. First time doing any severe unusual
attitude stuff and 1st time in a tail dragger. First off, hats off to all
those who fly taildraggers. That takes some foot work.

Spins weren't as bad as I thought. We did a couple normal stalls to see how
quickly the Pitts moves. Next, recovery from incipient spin. Then 1, then 2
turn spins. Learned quite a bit. Even got to do a couple rolls on the way
back to the field. Never lost my lunch! I did get a cramp in my right foot
from the rudder work, though. J

If you've never done any unusual attitude stuff, I would highly recommend
it.

Yup. Should be a requirement before PPL.

--

CP-ASEL, instrument

Old October 15th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

george wrote:
Steven Barnes wrote:
Woohoo!

I just got back from my spin training for my CFI. I went up with a local
acrobatic instructor in his Pitts. First time doing any severe unusual
attitude stuff and 1st time in a tail dragger. First off, hats off to all
those who fly taildraggers. That takes some foot work.

Spins weren't as bad as I thought. We did a couple normal stalls to see how
quickly the Pitts moves. Next, recovery from incipient spin. Then 1, then 2
turn spins. Learned quite a bit. Even got to do a couple rolls on the way
back to the field. Never lost my lunch! I did get a cramp in my right foot
from the rudder work, though. J

If you've never done any unusual attitude stuff, I would highly recommend
it.

Yup. Should be a requirement before PPL.

I believe it was required long ago, perhaps 30 years. I had a bit of
spin work in the glider. It might be required. It was fun!
Old October 15th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
nobody

I second the motion! Got my spin endorsement at night, shortly after
getting my PPL.

Old October 15th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Timmay

nobody wrote:
I second the motion! Got my spin endorsement at night, shortly after
getting my PPL.

A spin endorsement? After getting your PPL? Fill me in, I'm not aware
of any endorsements concerning spins.

Old October 15th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Timmay" wrote in message
oups.com...
A spin endorsement? After getting your PPL? Fill me in, I'm not aware
of any endorsements concerning spins.

An endorsement for spin training is required for CFI. Could it have been
concurrent training for Commercial and CFI?

Vaughn

Old October 15th 06, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Spins were a requirement back in the pre-1960 period [the
exact date can be looked up] and the training and testing
resulted in several fatal accidents. The FAA dropped the
requirement and for a time even dropped full stalls. They
do require spin training but not a high degree of skill for
CFI applicants. Many schools and FBOs do not want their
planes spun due to damage to instruments/gyros.

The FAA did a similar thing with Vmc demonstrations and
testing. The procedures were being read as do Vmc demos at
very low altitude and they even has a single-engine stall in
the testing procedures for a multiengine check-ride. That
was one of the reasons the Feds will not act as PIC during a
flight test, they got sued.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in
message

oups.com...

Old October 16th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GeorgeC

I got my licence in 1972, but no spin training, not even a demo.

Old October 16th 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

wrote:

I just got back from my spin training for my CFI....

Yup. Should be a requirement before PPL.

I believe it was required long ago, perhaps 30 years. I had a bit of
spin work in the glider. It might be required. It was fun!

Yeah, was eliminated in the late '60s, I think. Basic reason, IIRC, is that the
number of casualties that occurred during training were thought to be about
equal to the additional spin fatalities if training WEREN'T required. Since
most stall/spin accidents occur at very low altitudes (the base-to-final turn,
usually) the FAA decided to emphasize stall recognition/avoidance, instead.

True "spin" accidents (those that occur at high enough altitudes to recover and
not associated with any physical problem with the airplane) are quite rare.
Canada still requires spin training, and I understand their stall/spin accident
rate is about the same as the US.

Ron Wanttaja
Old October 16th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Steven Barnes" wrote:

Woohoo!

I just got back from my spin training for my CFI. I went up with a local
acrobatic instructor in his Pitts. First time doing any severe unusual
attitude stuff and 1st time in a tail dragger. First off, hats off to all
those who fly taildraggers. That takes some foot work.
Spins weren't as bad as I thought. We did a couple normal stalls to see how
quickly the Pitts moves. Next, recovery from incipient spin. Then 1, then 2
turn spins. Learned quite a bit. Even got to do a couple rolls on the way
back to the field. Never lost my lunch! I did get a cramp in my right foot
from the rudder work, though. J
If you've never done any unusual attitude stuff, I would highly recommend
it.

You did spins in a Pitts and you instructor did not show you the
Mueller-Beggs Recovery method?

ramifications of new TSA rules on all non-US and US citizen pilots paul k. sanchez Piloting 19 September 27th 04 11:49 PM
UK change in spin training. W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\). Soaring 2 June 8th 04 07:46 AM
Spin Training Captain Wubba Piloting 25 April 12th 04 02:11 PM
Spin Training JJ Sinclair Soaring 6 February 16th 04 04:49 PM