Komet Trailer Rims

Old February 22nd 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Komet Trailer Rims

I am looking for trailer rims for a 2002 Komet trailer that are 5 lug,
112 mm bolt spacing, and 15 " rims. My understanding is that Komet
used a Mercedes truck axel. The rims must have a US DOT stamp. Any
clue where to get these quick?

Thanks,
Tim

Old February 22nd 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Your local gliderport ;-). They won't notice till Spring. That will
be enough time to find so replacements.

Old February 22nd 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

For about the same price as Mercedes rims, you can buy a complete trailer
axle and rims that meet US specs. Visit your local trailer supply store.
Changing axles is a simple matter of four bolts. While you are at it, you
might want to shift the axle 6" to the rear to improve handling on US roads.

Bill Daniels

oups.com...

Old February 23rd 06, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Several locals have replaced their old axle to get new torsion rubber and a
softer trailer ride. They report that it's an easy job. I plan to do the
same as soon as my soaring budget allows.

Bill Daniels

"Marc Ramsey" wrote in message
Bill Daniels wrote:
For about the same price as Mercedes rims, you can buy a complete trailer
axle and rims that meet US specs. Visit your local trailer supply store.
Changing axles is a simple matter of four bolts. While you are at it,
you might want to shift the axle 6" to the rear to improve handling on US
roads.

Probably not so simple when it is sitting in some dark corner of a customs
impound warehouse...

Marc

Old February 23rd 06, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There are steel universal fit wheels at the site below. You would have
to check to see if they have a DOT stamp.

http://www.1010tires.com/wheel.asp?w...al+Fi t+Steel

Craig Funston

Old February 23rd 06, 03:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Do a search for wheels with 5:112 or 5/112 to look for 5 lugs with 112mm
spacing. It appears that many Mercedes fit the bill or also Audi, but
many are larger diameter. A 15" alloy wheel for an Audi is below.

http://www.1010tires.com/wheel.asp?w...udi+TT +Coupe

As for quick, I'd check you local foreign salvage yard. Check the
offset and rim width as well so you can tell it will fit in the fender.
And look for that stamp!

Good Luck,
np

Old February 28th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Viewed this site but they do not have what I need. Maybe from a wrecked
trailer?

it is a 5 1/2 J that is a 14 inch rim, with a 27-32 mm dish or about 4
1/2 inches
4 x 100mm bolt pattern.

I have been searching for 6 months and can only find them available in
Europe with a cost of about $250 shipping two to the U.S.

Gary Kemp

Eberle trailer wheel rims Bob Soaring 7 November 25th 11 05:39 PM
Trailer tire rims Gary Carter Soaring 7 January 21st 05 03:15 PM
KOMET Trailer Cradle [email protected] Soaring 3 September 27th 04 04:33 AM
Komet trailer strut John Shelton Soaring 5 November 15th 03 05:04 PM
Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying - resolution chris Soaring 6 October 26th 03 03:50 PM