Glider performance testing

Old February 27th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider performance testing

I recently reread Richard Johnson's article, "Sailplane Performance
Flight Test Methods" in the May, 1989 issue of Soaring magazine. In
the article Johnson mentions the Deceleration Measurement method of
determining a performance polar. It had occured to me a couple of
years ago that such a method could be used in conjunction with GPS data
as a fairly simple way of measuring glider performance. I envision
importing the GPS time, altitude, and position data into a spread sheet
application to do the number crunching. Anyone out there ever tried
anything like that? Anyone have suggestions or caveats about doing it?

Myles Bradley

Old February 27th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently reread Richard Johnson's article, "Sailplane Performance
Flight Test Methods" in the May, 1989 issue of Soaring magazine. In
the article Johnson mentions the Deceleration Measurement method of
determining a performance polar. It had occured to me a couple of
years ago that such a method could be used in conjunction with GPS data
as a fairly simple way of measuring glider performance. I envision
importing the GPS time, altitude, and position data into a spread sheet
application to do the number crunching. Anyone out there ever tried
anything like that? Anyone have suggestions or caveats about doing it?

Myles Bradley

I don't know if it has been actually tried but I have heard it discussed
several times. If, and it's a big if, you know that the glider can be flown
perfectly level as it slows down, then you measure the rate at which
airspeed is lost, the whole polar can be computed from a single pass.

Back in the 1960's it was proposed to build an "alley" of helium balloons
staked out in two parallel rows exactly1000 feet above a dry lake to avoid
ground effect. The glider pilot would use the balloons as an eyeball guide
in flying a level path. An on-board strip chart recorder would record
airspeed against time as it decayed from Vne to stall.

I don't think it was ever tried. Obviously, there are considerable problems
with this approach not the least is that it will require a dead calm day and
very cool hand on the controls. If there is an advantage it is that only
one tow is needed and higher performance glider take longer to slow down so
resolution improves. I don't see how GPS would help unless, somehow, GPS
altitude could be made to provide centimeter level accuracy. Vertical motion
in the atmosphere would still skew the results.

There is a third potential method with its own difficulties. L/D is the
angle between exact level and the free stream flow. If you had an inertial
reference unit that could establish exact level and a pitch vane on a long
nose probe, the angle of the vane measured against level is the L/D. The
problem is that the angles are very small. (40:1 L/D = 1.43 degrees , 60:1
= .0.95 degrees) and small angular errors generate large L/D errors.

All considered, the timed descent series method that Dick Johnson uses is
the least difficult and if done carefully, produces very good results.

Bill Daniels

Old February 28th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm looking forward to seeing what else comes from this post.

Can't the pressure altitude recorded in the log file be used? The
altitude used doesn't need to be accurate in the absolute sense (does
it?); rather just show the accurate altitude delta over the measurement
window.

On the topic of flight tests, I usually hear crickets when I ask this
question, but does anyone know where the Ventus 2 polar came from in
the SeeYou database (Tools | Polar)?

~ted/2NO

Old February 28th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 00:00 28 February 2006, Bill Daniels wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have calculated speed to fly/flap postion for my
DG808B by running a pre-planned gps course of 5 mile
per setting in a straight line and calculating L/D
for each speed from the data log. While the actual
L/D may be off slightly due to wind the relative values
should be accurate. This provides the best speed to
fly each flap position. I have also run pure L/D tests
also using a pre-planned gps course over a 15 mile
course in both directions to cancel out wind effect
which is what is loaded into my flight computer polar.

Old February 28th 06, 09:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
. ..
[...]

All this stuff has been used by the Idaflieg in the 80's, and they now work
on a differential GPS measurement system.

The point with the vane obviously works only if its base is in the free
flow, and if it is the base which is levelled horizontally. If the base is
connected to the fuselage, it will give you the fuselage pitch and nothing
else.
The point with all measurements done without a reference glider is that you
can't cancel vertical airmass movements. That's ok if you are measuring a
2-33, but on anything like a 40+ ship an airmass movement of a few cm/s will
result in substantial differences. An error of 1 cm/s in the sink of a 50:1
ship gives ore takes almost 1 point. A couple of cm/s sink is something you
often have associated with high pressure regions over a wide area (that's
actually how they function).
That is the main reason the Idaflieg measurements are usually trusted far
more than Dick's measurement. Dick is putting an enormous effort in getting
good results, but he just can go so far.