Parachute question

Old December 23rd 04, 02:29 AM
Mark James Boyd

In article . com,
Michael wrote:
Just a few thoughts for you:

In summary:

Have a rigger tell you if your rig sucks. If it's been in the
sun every day for it's whole life and the dog regularly pees on it,
then the "20 year rule" isn't the problem.

If it gets kept in its own humidor, at 59 degrees year round and
gets out only 4 times a year, then the rigger will probably
want to buy it from you for the parachute museum...

Somewhere in between the rigger is using some judgement, and if you
don't like it, take it to another rigger. If NONE of them like it,
then put a big EXPERIMENTAL placard on the rig, have the boys
draw a big round target on the ground below where you usually
thermal, and buy lottery tickets with the money you save by not getting
another rig...

I noticed in Michael's post he mentions two accidents where the
canopies failed and the jumpers lived. Well, this was his example of
a failure. For us, that is an example of a success.

"He lived? After a mid-air? Wow! What's that? His canopy
failed on opening? But wait a minute, you said he lived?
Oh, it still slowed his descent so he lived. Well, that's
good news..."

;PPPPP

I must wonder, however, if I paid somebody $1300 to design
a cushion that would protect me better in a crash (or during
some of my...ahem...landings) if that wouldn't be a better
investment.

Perhaps not if I was thermalling with a HUNDRED other gliders,
like some of you loveable but slightly off the rocker kookoo
birds.

Asking a rigger about the value of a parachute is kind of
like going into a donut shop and asking the clerk what you
should have for dinner...

o)

^

Eating Donut
--

------------+
Mark J. Boyd
Old December 23rd 04, 02:37 AM
Mark James Boyd

John Sinclair wrote:
PS, I wear 2 little silk worms on my lapel.

If I had two of those, I think my parachute would be the MOST
important part of my glider. I'd probably pay more for the
chute than the glider. Heck, I dunno if I'd even have a glider,
I'd just sit on the toilet every day (with my
expensive chute on) and shake and cry like a little baby...

Dude, once I can understand. But twice? I'd take a hint
from Mike Melvill: "if things go that far to s**t twice,
count your blessings and join the lecture circuit..."

Of course I'm paraphrasing...

:PPP

As the Sat. Nite Live guy sez: I'm jus keeeding!!
--

Mark J. Boyd