Trig TT21 Transponder receives FAA TSO approval

Old September 11th 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Trig TT21 Transponder receives FAA TSO approval

Hi,

I just learned that the Trig TT21 transponder has just received FAA TSO
approval.

I have ordered units which should arrive in about 2 weeks. You can see
details and order now on my web site he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/trig.htm

This is a very exciting new transponder. It is very small and light, yet
powerful and full-featured. It is a Mode S transponder with a built-in
altitude encoder. Since the head is separate from the transponder body, the
transponder body can be mounted closer to the antenna (if desired) - which
is nice. It also supports 1090ES ADS-B out. You can see dimensions on my
web site. It is very small!

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old September 11th 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott[_2_]

I installed an Trig TT21 in my APIS (experimental amatuer built) glider
several months ago. It passed all Mode A, C, and S certification tests with
flying colors. The altitude encoder was spot on when tested. It tested at
300 watts output. It showed a 300 ma current draw when the test equipment
was interigating it at 235 interigations/second. It has worked well in the
air. It is light and easy to install. The wiring harness is easy to build.
Everything comes in the kit except the wire. I installed mine with an L2
dipole mounted vertically on the forward bulkhead of my glider (just forward
of the rudder pedals). The nose of my glider is all fiberglass.

John Scott

Old September 12th 09, 06:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

John Scott wrote:
I installed an Trig TT21 in my APIS (experimental amatuer built) glider
several months ago. It passed all Mode A, C, and S certification tests with
flying colors. The altitude encoder was spot on when tested. It tested at
300 watts output.

The unit has a nominal 130 watt output at the connector on the box; it
will be less than that by the time it goes through the cable and the
antenna. I suggest you ask the technician that did the test why the
reading was so high, in case it indicates a problem with his tester, the
antenna, the antenna cable, or his procedure.

Regardless, the Trig looks like a very good choice right now, perhaps
the best choice for gliders. I look forward to more reports.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* Sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old September 12th 09, 12:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

I've had a Trig TT21 in my LS8 for a few months now, replacing a Terra
TRT250D transponder and an Ameri-King AK-350 encoder that were
originally installed in 2000.

Because of the small size of the Trig it was very easy to install.
Similarly to a previous poster, the Trig checked out perfectly in all
modes, and the encoder matched the test set to within 20 feet from 0
to 20,000 feet. It clearly works fine in the air, too, as I saw a
commuter plane divert a bit to clear me while I was thermalling.

The best part is the low current drain. Here in the PHL-NYC area the
transmit symbol is always on, but my 4 year old 6.5 AH battery (which
also powers a Becker 4401, an SN10B, a Volkslogger, and an iPAQ 3750)
has enough juice to last over 6 hours. I've got another 6.5 AH battery
on board, but that will apparently be my cold weather backup!

-John

On Sep 12, 1:56 am, Eric Greenwell wrote:
snip the Trig looks like a very good choice right now, perhaps
the best choice for gliders. I look forward to more reports.

Old September 12th 09, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Scott[_2_]

The tester was just back from re-calibration, so the readings should be
solid. If I get a chance I'll ask him about the difference.

In any case, when I monitor ATC, I hear them alerting the airliners to my
presence.

John

Old September 12th 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

My Trig TT21 output was measured at 130 watts at the connector.
Something is drastically wrong with the output measurement you were
given...

-John

Old September 18th 09, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Trig hasn't posted anything yet, but look he

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...2?OpenDocument
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...1?OpenDocument
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Gu...D?OpenDocument

The TT21/TC20 transponder received FAA approval for TSOs C112c (Mode
S), C166a (ADS-B and TIS-B), and C88b (Altitude Encoder) on 10 Sep
2009. So it's now official...

-John
Old September 18th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

The TRIG Transponders with US TSO approval are coming here on or about October 1st..however, any of the TRIG Transponders here in the USA "at this time are non-TSO' d"
The next shipment coming will be have the TSO approval, (note: Trig Avionics is pleased to announce that the TT21 Mode S transponder has been awarded FAA TSO C112c, C166a and C88b approvals. ) These are expected here October 1st.
Please see these listed on http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page4.htm
tim

Old September 18th 09, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Tim, this statement does not jibe with what Trig told me in writing.
What is your source?

-John