Seat belt tags

Old February 22nd 04, 11:23 PM
Stephen Stilkey

Default Seat belt tags

Just finished the annual inspection on my 1963 172 this afternoon. It was
the first time I had used this A+P to inspect my plane. I assisted and
things went smoothly. It's interesting that a "new" set of eyes can see
things that have been overlooked in the past. Anyway, the seat belts no
longer have "tags" that designate them approved. He said they must either be
replaced or refurbished for the plane to be considered airworthy. Any
thoughts on who might recondition the belts? Do I have to spring for new
replacement ones?

Thanks,
Steve

Old February 23rd 04, 03:48 AM
Blanche Cohen

Try Wag-Aero for the seat belts. There are others, but this
is the only one I remember.

Old February 23rd 04, 06:25 PM
Ron Natalie

"Stephen Stilkey" wrote in message ...
Anyway, the seat belts no
longer have "tags" that designate them approved. He said they must either be
replaced or refurbished for the plane to be considered airworthy

He's wrong. The belts probably never had tags. There's no requirement for
older planes to have the TSO tags on them.

Old February 23rd 04, 11:28 PM

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:25:37 -0500, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

"Stephen Stilkey" wrote in message ...
Anyway, the seat belts no
longer have "tags" that designate them approved. He said they must either be
replaced or refurbished for the plane to be considered airworthy

He's wrong. The belts probably never had tags. There's no requirement for
older planes to have the TSO tags on them.

Hmmm, I might buy that.

The FAA's ramp inspection "guide" useta have an item for seatbelt
tags.

Pretty sure it referenced 91.205 (b) something-or-other which calls
for "an approved safety belt".

I'm just not sure how you can convince the FAA that a seat belt
without a data tag, or other identifying markings is "approved".

TC

Old February 24th 04, 03:03 PM
Dennis O'Connor

No tags on the belts in Fat Albert, and he was used by many a pilot to take
his multi/ifr/cfi check ride over a 40 year period... Apparently the
inspectors never blinked...
denny

Old February 24th 04, 07:38 PM

Stephen Stilkey wrote:
: Just finished the annual inspection on my 1963 172 this afternoon. It was
: the first time I had used this A+P to inspect my plane. I assisted and
: things went smoothly. It's interesting that a "new" set of eyes can see
: things that have been overlooked in the past. Anyway, the seat belts no
: longer have "tags" that designate them approved. He said they must either be
: replaced or refurbished for the plane to be considered airworthy. Any
: thoughts on who might recondition the belts? Do I have to spring for new
: replacement ones?

: Thanks,
: Steve

Yet another example of how ridiculous, tedious and completely misguided the
FAA regulations and their enforcement has become. While I don't necessarily fault the
A&P since it's his ticket on the line, the knee-jerk ruling ("... of course that's
illegal!") is the fundamental problem.

WRT your problem, I'd find a set from a junkyard.. Wentworth (MN) or Aircraft
Salvage (TN) come to mind. Even they aren't cheap though. Got a replacement rear
belt for our Cherokee... Something like $50 for a moldy old thing. Ridiculous.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old February 24th 04, 08:24 PM
Ron Natalie

wrote in message ...

The FAA's ramp inspection "guide" useta have an item for seatbelt
tags.

It used to have a lot of stuff in it that didn't apply to all situations. Besides
if some ignorant inspector wants to ground your plane, he'll come up with
some reason.

Pretty sure it referenced 91.205 (b) something-or-other which calls
for "an approved safety belt".

The ones that are in my plane were APPROVED when the Type Certificate
of the plane was issued....no AD has come out to invalidate them.

Old February 24th 04, 10:27 PM
Steve

Additional checking on my part today. One of the rear belts still has a tag
so I assume the front ones must have also had one at some point in time. I
checked with Aircraft Spruce today and they sell "FAA Certified Personal
Restraints" for about $ 35.00- $ 50.00 each. That's the route I'll go.

Thanks for your responses,
Steve

Old February 25th 04, 12:16 AM

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:03:58 -0500, "Dennis O'Connor"
wrote:

No tags on the belts in Fat Albert, and he was used by many a pilot to take
his multi/ifr/cfi check ride over a 40 year period... Apparently the
inspectors never blinked...
denny

The reference here is to what? That since it hasn't been "caught" is
must be OK?

I once had to fly to Cleveland to rescue a CFI applicant that had
loose carpet in the pilot's footwell.

The inspector and I came to an agreement that the carpet wasn't
"required equipment", so I tore it out and threw in the trash can so
the prospective CFI could take his ride.

TC

Old February 25th 04, 12:38 AM

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:24:48 -0500, "Ron Natalie"
wrote:

wrote in message ...

The FAA's ramp inspection "guide" useta have an item for seatbelt
tags.

It used to have a lot of stuff in it that didn't apply to all situations. Besides
if some ignorant inspector wants to ground your plane, he'll come up with
some reason.

Pretty sure it referenced 91.205 (b) something-or-other which calls
for "an approved safety belt".

The ones that are in my plane were APPROVED when the Type Certificate
of the plane was issued....no AD has come out to invalidate them.

OK, I'll stay in, how does the reg I referenced (in pt 91) not "apply"
the given situation?

And the "APPROV"-al can be verified how? Are you telling me that you
still have the original seat belts in your aircraft, or that you can
provide documentation to verify that they have been properly
repaired/altered?

I'm afraid that even this ignorant mechanic can look at the seat belts
in a 41 year-old aircraft and tell whether or not they are "original".

I am by no means trying to tell you that you are wrong, or that a
TSO'd belt is categorically required by the CFR, or by your Type
Certificate.

I am afraid I have to disagree with the ignorant inspector comment. In
twenty years I have never had anyone successfully "ground" an aircraft
that I was maintaining.

Have been in confrontations with quite a few, reference my response to
the Fat Albert thread.

Regards;

TC

Airliner Seats ... smjmitchell General Aviation 6 September 26th 04 10:00 PM
Seat Belt Extenders M.E. Borner Owning 4 October 3rd 03 01:55 PM
Seat cushion Ernest Christley Home Built 14 August 5th 03 07:16 PM
Seat cushions Big John Home Built 3 July 31st 03 10:59 PM
Seat Belt Age? BD5ER Home Built 2 July 7th 03 12:10 AM