1960's Disney soaring movie

Old April 23rd 20, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default 1960's Disney soaring movie

It's available from Cumulus Soaring. That's where I got my copy. I also picked up Dawn Flight at the Little Rock Convention from them.

Mark
Old April 24th 20, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

It's available from Cumulus Soaring. That's where I got my copy. I also picked up Dawn Flight at the Little Rock Convention from them.

Mark

Is this the movie? Free on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqHXiaMhSIo
Old April 24th 20, 10:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes it is
Do you know if quality of DVD is better than the one of YouTube ?
Old April 24th 20, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 02:12:14 -0700, befut8 wrote:

Yes it is Do you know if quality of DVD is better than the one of
YouTube ?

Seems likely, at least right now, because I've heard that YouTube is
using reduced bandwidth during the COVID lock-down to avoid network
congestion, and of course this reduces image sharpness. In any case this
film looks as if it was made for TV, back in the day when the NTSC
standard was a thing, with only 525 scan lines, which may mean that the
master copy's resolution was quite low. Would it have been shot on video
tape or film?

I watched it last night, found it was unwatchable in full-screen mode on
my laptop (1600 x 900 screen), so watched it as the small image. Nice
movie. All I could fault was the rapid weather switches during the Gold
flight and the rather unlikely auto-tow behind the old-timer's jalopy:
the rope looked a bit short!

Bit of a navigational overshoot though - Google Earth says he went 30
miles too far - and, from driving 395 to Lee Vining from Bishop I seem to
remember some fairly fairly unlandable country along the way.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 24th 20, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 4/24/20 5:38 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

The YouTube version is only 240P, so the DVD would almost certainly be
better.
Old April 24th 20, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 7:43:54 AM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
[...]

Youtube adjusts the resolution automatically to fit your bandwidth (not just your last-mile bandwidth, but the congestion all along the way from YT's servers to you). I've just now tried this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqHXiaMhSIo
and it auto-plays for me at 240p. But I can download it (however slowly) for later off-line playing (using an add-on to Firefox), supposedly at 360p - the saved file is actually 384x288, about 123 megabytes. (This add-on, Youtube Downloader Lite, also offers higher resolutions for the download, but they are color-coded in the listing, which seems to mean they are sent to some server for reprocessing, which is very slow if it works at all, so I use the gray one at the top of the list.)

But yeah the video tech in the 60's wasn't what we're used to now. Cheap phones and drones now give you "HD" resolution (excessive IMO). A couple of years ago I bought the DVD version of The Sunship Game (from the 1969 (?) nats) and was rather disappointed with the video quality. To my taste, true DVD ("SD") resolution is about right. Unless you sit too close to your large TV.
Old April 24th 20, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 07:01:42 -0700, moshe.braner wrote:

A couple of years ago I bought the DVD version of The Sunship Game (from
the 1969 (?) nats) and was rather disappointed with the video quality.
To my taste, true DVD ("SD") resolution is about right. Unless you sit
too close to your large TV.

Same here - the download I got was fairly unwatchable, so a few years
later I bought the DVD from Cumulus - that's much better quality.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old April 24th 20, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le vendredi 24 avril 2020 16:20:22 UTC+2, Martin Gregorie a écritÂ*:
On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 07:01:42 -0700, moshe.braner wrote:

A couple of years ago I bought the DVD version of The Sunship Game (from
the 1969 (?) nats) and was rather disappointed with the video quality.
To my taste, true DVD ("SD") resolution is about right. Unless you sit
too close to your large TV.

Same here - the download I got was fairly unwatchable, so a few years
later I bought the DVD from Cumulus - that's much better quality.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

thanks, I purchased the dvd
Also I discovered The Sunship Game !

Adolfo
Old April 27th 20, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 4/24/20 8:01 AM, wrote:
[...]

I think you're overestimating the quality you can get from YT. They can
and do adjust resolution downward to conserve bandwidth sometimes, but
this video is stored a 240P, which sets a real boundary on how good it
will ever look.

You can always upscale the resolution to fill a HD screen, but it
doesn't add any detail that wasn't in the 240P version. The DVD is
going to look better than anything from YT.

-Dave

Old April 28th 20, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Ahhhh...Dawn Flight.

This is without a doubt the best flying of two gliders chasing each other that I have ever seen. The flight low across the lake and then between the trees is something to behold. Incredible.

For a taste see this *UBER* bad version of just the chase sequences.

https://youtu.be/A0ptkl_0-xc.