I weigh 255 pounds... am I disqualified from this sport?

Old July 30th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Austin Healy

Default I weigh 255 pounds... am I disqualified from this sport?

I guess the title says it all..... can't even do an "intro" flight
because of COG constraints?
Old July 30th 07, 08:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...d17443 74bd34

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...8e8b6 867f16d

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...21095 763472d

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...3fb69 46e4b12

Old July 30th 07, 11:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"Austin Healy" wrote in message
I guess the title says it all..... can't even do an "intro" flight
because of COG constraints?

Not sure what country you are located in. There are gliders that will
accommodate you, the 2-22 in particular. That glider is common at American
commercial rides operations.

When I got serious about soaring, I got serious about my weight. It was
the best think that ever happened to me.

Vaughn

Old July 30th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...wse_thread/thr...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...wse_thread/thr...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...wse_thread/thr...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...wse_thread/thr...

No, I weight and have weighed most of my life 250 lbs or better, 6' 3"
size 50 dress coat. Have owned 1-34, 1-35, pegasus, Nimbus 3. Have
flown Standard Cirrus, LS-4, ASW 20. I do make some modifications
such as taking out seat pans and sitting on high density
foam.........flew for 38 years, so don't give it up because of your
size. I would much rather have weighed what I did as a freshman in
colleg e (196) but it was never going to happen.

Old July 31st 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Drew Pearce

I am with the Hollister Glider Club, located in the
San Francisco/Monterey CA area, and we offer dual training
and solo ability in our Schweitzer 2-32 gliders. We
can accommodate students easily up to 280 pounds and
7' 2'. We can provide dual training, with the student
in the back seat, for students over 350 pounds. We
have had a number of students over the years come to
us to get their dual training and license for this
reason. Most had single seat or two place gliders,
when flown solo, in their club they could fly once
they had their license. For this we could set up an
accelerated course and help you find accommodations
in the area. We can also help you select a glider to
buy that would fit your needs and desires.

Drew Pearce
CFI-G

Our web site is http://www.soarhollister.com

Email: Hollister Gliding Club at Yahoo

At 13:24 30 July 2007, wrote:
On Jul 30, 12:59 am, Bernie wrote:
On Jul 30, 3:43 pm, Austin Healy wrote:

I guess the title says it all..... can't even do
an 'intro' flight
because of COG constraints?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a.../browse_thread
/thr...

Old July 31st 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Most German built gliders such as the Grob 103 have a per seat limitation of
242#.
But again they may only have a useful load of about 400# for both seats
combined.

The US built SGS 2-32 should be your glider of choice.
Many single seat gliders have Max pilot weight limits around 200-210# such
as the SGS 1-36 or 1-34.
Other single seat glass birds, if you can fit you can fly.

Old July 31st 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Davis

At 02:30 31 July 2007, Bt wrote:
Most German built gliders such as the Grob 103 have
a per seat

limitation of
242#.
But again they may only have a useful load of about
400# for both

seats
combined.

The US built SGS 2-32 should be your glider of choice.
Many single seat gliders have Max pilot weight limits
around 200-210#

such
as the SGS 1-36 or 1-34.
Other single seat glass birds, if you can fit you can
fly.

You could easily fit in a Genesis 2. The cockpit is
large enough,
the wing spar is far stronger than other single seat
and probably most
two seat sailplanes and it has a Cleveland main gear
which can handle
hard landings such the one below which probably would
have destroyed
any other glider. You can buy one for about 25 K less
than the price of a
comparable standard class glider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYDdEjloYJ0

About how much does a 1969 Eisenburg Gruber model APR 1812 trailer weigh? [email protected] Soaring 4 June 8th 06 09:58 PM
Mother of all bombs - 21,000 pounds bomb Mike Naval Aviation 8 January 24th 06 11:48 PM
Weigh scales abripl Home Built 4 May 24th 05 03:13 PM
how many pounds thrust needed ? cdubya Soaring 10 September 14th 03 04:28 AM
WTB: Floats 1000 pounds in Caanda or US David Dawe Products 0 August 16th 03 01:46 AM