Next glider, ownership costs question?

Old November 22nd 17, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Next glider, ownership costs question?

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 7:06:27 AM UTC+3, LongJourney wrote:
On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 10:03:11 AM UTC-6, flgliderpilot wrote:
Low time pilot, 60hrs, have done some solo cross country flying but not a lot. Sold my 1-26E a few years ago (not by choice, business debt at the time).

My first thought is to jump into another 1-26 or 1-34 for a number of reasons (safety and availability). I could land my 1-26 just about anywhere!

My budget is 10K or less, and I am still saving, so in the meantime I'm wondering about inexpensive older fiberglass options such as the Libelle, etc.

Are fiberglass gliders more expensive to maintain and repair?

Easily damaged on rough landouts?

Qualified mechanics easier or harder to find, vs aluminum?

Insurance costs aluminum vs fiberglass?

Are fabric covered gliders (1-26 A,B) much more expensive to maintain?

I remember a local pilot telling me he spent a few thousand dollars re-covering his 1-26 and that it needed to be done every X number of years (I can't remember that number now).

As usual hangar space might be possible but is usually unlikely due to demand.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Tom

I've never flown one, but a Phoebus might fit your needs.

I've flown one. Great L/D for the time (and money), but at the low speed of 48 knots.

The wings are very heavy and very stiff. People will run away when you rig, but you'll feel every ripple in the air (if you like that kind of thing).

Libelle is as good performance, but people won't run away when you rig.
Old November 22nd 17, 12:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If the gelcoat on a composite glider is shot it will cost quit a bit to refinish it. Even doing it the "cheap" way by just sanding down the old finish and spraying polyurethane over it will cost a fair amount. The rest of the maintenance isn't really any different from a metal ship when it comes to cost. As long as there is a good maintenance shop within reasonable distance that is willing and able to do the work a composite ship is fine. Ask the pilots in your area who fly glass who they work with. A Schweizer 1-34 or 1-35 would have the advantage that all the parts and materials are North American aircraft standard and would be familiar to any light aircraft maintenance shop but it isn't a decisive factor. On the other hand being able to leave the ship tied down and ready to fly may be an attractive benefit to you. I know a few pilots with easy to rig glass ships that still frequently leave them staked down overnight because they find the assembly/disassembly process too much work. I can usually have my ASW-15 cleaned, disassembled and in the trailer using an Udo rigger in less time than it takes them to get their stakes, hammer them in and tie their ship down though! For a quick summary of flying characteristics look up Derek Piggot's "Gliding Safety" book or the evaluation table he made that is printed in the Soaring magazine sailplane directory.

Whatever you go for get a good inspection done by someone who really knows what they're doing before you buy.
Old November 22nd 17, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

maanantai 20. marraskuuta 2017 18.05.44 UTC+2 flgliderpilot kirjoitti:
On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 1:59:49 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
We have had glassfiber gliders for 60 years but you can still actually ask if that material (developed by witches and black magic) is repairable or costly to maintain.

Of course fiberglass is easy to repair and easy to maintain, but I'm asking about the costs of having a certified aircraft mechanic do that work, and if it's more expensive than riveting aluminum and stretching fabric.

Fiberglass involves layup and lots of sanding, dealing with sanding dust, following with gel coat, polishing, etc.

I imagine that to be more expensive but maybe it's cheaper. It's not the material, it's the hours involved.

I don't quite understand what there is maintain in fiberglass structure. It is as close to maintenance free as anything. If you break the glider, then it is insurance company's headache. For small scrathces you need paint, not airframe mechanic. Sure refinish costs a lot, but I guess most of the early glass gliders have been painted by now with car paints that do not crack like gelcoat and are again maintenance free. And you have to refinish aluminium or tube/rag planes also (right?) at some point of their life.
Old November 22nd 17, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

In our club, maintainance takes one winter weekend per glider (2x ASK21, 2x DuoDiscus, 2x LS4, 2x LS8-18). Mostly washing, cleaning and greasing.
The 3000h check is a different story, but that happens once in 20-25 years.
Old November 22nd 17, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 7:45:45 PM UTC-6, Dave Springford wrote:
There could be a Club Libelle for sale at my club near Toronto if that is of interest to anyone. Was refinished about 10 years ago and has not flown more than a couple of hours since then. Not currently listed and I don't own it, I just know the owner could be convinced to sell it if someone asked.

Hi. I fly at FLF in Austin, Tx; a low time glider pilot. And think Club Libelle may be a good match. Kindly email me a picture / price, and lets see if we can work something out. Thanking you for the help. Ed Khan (cell # 504-256-3929)
Old November 28th 17, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flgliderpilot[_2_]

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've decided the Standard Libelle is probably the best option for my next ship. It's within my price range and I feel the longer legs would give me more bang for the buck, and result in a ship I will keep longer before wanting to move up.

Thanks for all the help! Funny thing is, I almost purchased a Libelle before buying my 1-26!