A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

737 vs glider

Old September 26th 17, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default 737 vs glider

Anyone have more details about it? In particular, was the glider equipped with transponder? This is not good rep for us, but could have been worse.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/uni...00000080461661

Ramy
Old September 26th 17, 06:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default 737 vs glider

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 8:15:59 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
Anyone have more details about it? In particular, was the glider equipped with transponder? This is not good rep for us, but could have been worse.

Ramy

Found it. 19:45 UTC at 7075'MSL, 10 mi NE of Rockford, IL. ASH-26E topping out in a thermal and 737 exiting a brief hold - same altitude and the same location within a mile or less as near as I can tell.

There's only one flight posted on OLC for the Chicago area today. If there was buddy flying I guess it could have been the other one.

Andy Blackburn
9B
Old September 26th 17, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default 737 vs glider

'Seems highly unlikely that the glider had a transponder, else the 737 would / should have received an alert / warning from controllers.

I personally wouldn't want to fly a sailplane in a busy area like that w/o a transponder.

When i look at the "flight track" image in the cited article, i'm not at all able to tell which "right turn" would have been the emergency maneuver. Nothing (at least compared to all others) appears "extreme". Perhaps the resolution of the tracking doesn't allow for it.

Karl
*-----
Boulder CO (another very busy airspace)
Old September 26th 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

Default 737 vs glider

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 10:15:59 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:

Ramy

Last Friday, Sept. 22, when soaring south of Ionia, MI (somewhere on Grand Rapids and Lansing line), I suddenly saw a business jet (size of Cessna Citation or bigger) crossing in front and above, probably less then a 1000' higher than myself (5K-6K MSL altitude). Whether he saw me or not, I don't know. That close encounter and the incident described in this thread make me even more convinced: ADS-B for ALL (including gliders and drones) is the future. Very near future...
Old September 26th 17, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner
external usenet poster

Default 737 vs glider

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 8:00:40 AM UTC-7, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 10:15:59 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
Anyone have more details about it? In particular, was the glider equipped with transponder? This is not good rep for us, but could have been worse..

Ramy

Last Friday, Sept. 22, when soaring south of Ionia, MI (somewhere on Grand Rapids and Lansing line), I suddenly saw a business jet (size of Cessna Citation or bigger) crossing in front and above, probably less then a 1000' higher than myself (5K-6K MSL altitude). Whether he saw me or not, I don't know. That close encounter and the incident described in this thread make me even more convinced: ADS-B for ALL (including gliders and drones) is the future. Very near future...

And including Air Force jets! It's been ****ing me off this year to have near encounters with fighter jets that don't emit ADS-B on training flights in shared airspace. It's just asinine that the Air Force hasn't got it done yet and says they won't meet 2020 (per an article I read).
Old September 26th 17, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default 737 vs glider

We're not far north of the mode C veil around EWR and others. ATC brings jets through above cloudbase on weekends since we can be there and currently don't need a transponder. Otherwise, they come through about 5-6K'AGL and we are about 540'MSL.

Yes, we've had days of 10K' bases in southern NY. It pays to not run the wispies in the corridor and to look "up track" every so often.

(Yes, I know this incident happened on a Monday.....).
Old September 26th 17, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default 737 vs glider

Indeed, from back in March of '16:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...ads-b-deadline

*-----
Old September 26th 17, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LOV2AV8
external usenet poster

Default 737 vs glider

I'm curious how this happens. ATC sees gliders on their radar in Tucson. Wouldn't they SW flight get a traffic alert with "type and altitude unknown"? from ATC. ATC has the job of deconflicting and should worst case it as the unknown traffic is the same altitude as the 737. We have been contacted by Tucson TRACON and they would like to meet in order to share their concerns over transponder equipped gliders being at 10,000' over Pinal Airpark (KMZJ). We haven't met yet but take a look at the proximity to the Tucson Class C. A long ways away and they're complaining about us that are transponder equipped. Seems like a bad omen.

Randy "AV8"

Old September 26th 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default 737 vs glider

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 11:32:33 AM UTC-7, LOV2AV8 wrote:
I'm curious how this happens. ATC sees gliders on their radar in Tucson. Wouldn't they SW flight get a traffic alert with "type and altitude unknown"? from ATC. ATC has the job of deconflicting and should worst case it as the unknown traffic is the same altitude as the 737. We have been contacted by Tucson TRACON and they would like to meet in order to share their concerns over transponder equipped gliders being at 10,000' over Pinal Airpark (KMZJ). We haven't met yet but take a look at the proximity to the Tucson Class C. A long ways away and they're complaining about us that are transponder equipped. Seems like a bad omen.

Randy "AV8"

There should be no surprise at all that this can happen. ATC requires transponders in aircraft to provide reliable seperation and gliders are very hard to visually see and can be at altitudes and in locations that have high traffic densities of fast jets and airliners.

Can primary radar see gliders? Sure. Sometimes.

Is that anything as effective (or frequent useful at all in practice) as having a transponder and seeing the glider via SSR? No.

And having a transponder also makes the glider visible to TCAS, the wonderful last resort tool to help avoid mid-air collisions. And having a transponder makes your aircraft visible via TIS-B to ADS-B In and Out equipped aircraft in busy airspace (i.e. will should have ADS-B ground station coverage).. Primary radar is not relayed to TIS-B or anything else.

ATC may or may not see gliders on primary radar. And if they do approach primary radar does not provide altitude data. Primary radar relies on doppler discrimination to see aircraft against ground clutter, what that looks like varies dramatically depending on the area/terrain. Gliders don't fly often fast towards or away from the radar antenna, and they stop and thermal slow where they may disappear off the display. Operators may have to turn up the doppler discriminator significantly to reduce target clutter caused by things like traffic on freeways or wind power generators. The later for example makes gliders flying to the East of Travis AFB totally invisible to primary radar, all in a very busy area full of traffic coming into and out of the San Francisco Bay Area. Travis RAPCON (who provide civil as well as military ATC in that area) love gliders with transponders....

When you talk to those ATC folks, which is certainly a good idea, ask for a tour of their facility and have them show you what they are dealing with and ask them about ground clutter, and have them show you the primary radar and doppler discriminator effects.

For transponder equipped gliders it may be that they want to understand your operations a bit more, might want folks to be in radio communications with ATC, etc. Talking to them is the only way of finding out. It can really helps to have somebody from the glider community who is an experienced power pilot, ideally with an instrument rating or airline experience etc. to be in those conversations.

As I'll point out in other posts, you should not be just looking at Class C or simmilar proximity, you should be looking at STAR and SID procedures as well when evaluating local traffic risks. Of course traffic can come from anywhere at any time, but STAR and SID routes give you a good idea where lots of traffic is expected to be.

Old September 26th 17, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike
external usenet poster

Default 737 vs glider

I like this part most:
"It will cost $2.5 million for the aircraft that need it".

Mr. President , can you look into it, please...

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 1:07:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Indeed, from back in March of '16:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...ads-b-deadline

*-----